How Dare They Hold Up That Sign?

spendius

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 05:52 pm
I deny that absolutely.

I don't take anything seriously except things like taking things seriously and whether I have got salt in my porrige, the telly properly tuned and my pygamas being warmed.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 06:04 pm
Quote:
You always said people don't do what they believe in they just do what's most
convenient then they repent
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 06:08 pm
I do repent I must admit. Of many things.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 06:09 pm
spendius wrote:
I do repent I must admit. Of many things.

Glad to hear it dear. Enjoy those warm pjs,
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 10:08 pm
Lola :

You select the most eclectic set of people to admire.

Joe(nightie night)Nation
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 05:19 am
It is caused by her powerful and discerning mind Joe.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 02:27 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Lola :

You select the most eclectic set of people to admire.

Joe(nightie night)Nation

Joe,

I do love talented eccentric people. That's why I consider you and Spendi to be such good friends. I believe I'm a bit eccentric myself. Another member of my exclusive eccentric talent club list is Dys who was offended when I described him as eccentric to my nephew. He didn't know it was a high compliment. Many a2k posters are eccentric, but all are not talented. There's the divide.

Many on this list are offended by the other's presence. But that doesn't bother me. I love and admire you all.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 03:06 pm
So untalented squares are out then?

I have never for a moment thought of Joe as "eccentric". Nor myself for that matter. Nor Dys. Nor you sweetie pie.

I can't think of any social conventions I deviate from. I even respect the integrity of the matrimonial bond despite it being a bit ridiculous from a scientific point of view.

Mr Patrick Moore of The Sky At Night fame is a bit eccentric.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 03:11 pm
Fiona Pitt-Kethley as well.

She once said- "I'm not cheap-I'm free." And she claimed to have taken 4 soldiers on in a train from Glasgow to Euston.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 03:42 pm
As is the wont of stupid people, Dys lacks a sense of humor.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 03:49 pm
spendius wrote:
So untalented squares are out then?

I have never for a moment thought of Joe as "eccentric". Nor myself for that matter. Nor Dys. Nor you sweetie pie.

I can't think of any social conventions I deviate from. I even respect the integrity of the matrimonial bond despite it being a bit ridiculous from a scientific point of view.

Mr Patrick Moore of The Sky At Night fame is a bit eccentric.

This is further qualification for you on my list. Outrageous.

So now back to the subject of the thread.......

Lola (ignoring fools and dull people who shall go unnamed) Lola
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 04:15 pm
Okay.

They held up that sign in order to cause trouble and call attention to themselves possibly due to frustration that nobody was paying any attention to lady bridge players playing at the highest level.

To even think that they might not dare do that is blasphemy.

Bridge is like football. They both make la differance palpable.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 04:27 pm
It was similar to starting an argument over politics in a football huddle. Stupid thing to do!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 04:58 pm
Advocate wrote:
It was similar to starting an argument over politics in a football huddle. Stupid thing to do!

Bad analogy - they weren't 'in the huddle' but on the winners' podium - a traditional time to make statements if the winner wishes.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 06:02 pm
Give peace a chance

Group says wearing their shirts on campus has caused quite a stir

BY MEAGAN HAPPEL

Students at Cocoa Beach Jr./Sr. High are waging a war on peace.

It all started when sophomore Skylar Stains decided to have Peace Shirt Thursdays. Skylar and her friend, Lauren Lorraine, started wearing peace shirts and soon recruited more friends to wear them. Now, the "Peace Shirt Coalition" as they call themselves, has close to 30 students from all grades.

"We've worn handmade peace shirts every Thursday since the first week of school, without fail," Skylar said.

But what started out as a light-hearted gesture soon started to be taken out of context. Students started approaching the group members, yelling obscene things at them, said Lauren.

"People just turned on us like that," she said. "At least 10 boys stood up and yelled things at me at once, and we couldn't even walk through the halls without a harsh comment being made."

The heckling began early in the school year, according to group members. They say they were putting small posters promoting peace on friends' lockers with their permission. They thought it was OK, because the cheerleaders and football players had signs on theirs. Eventually, though, group members say they were told by the school's administration they could no longer hang up the posters.

"People tore them down and drew swastikas and 'white power' stuff on them," Lauren said.

Skylar had similar things written on her posters.

"Someone taped an 'I Love Bush' sign over my 'Wage Peace' sign," she said. "So I tore it down, threw it away, and the whole commons starting booing. I walk by later and find that someone has completely tore my sign down and placed an 'I Love America, Because America Loves War' sign up.' "
peace
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 06:11 pm
Lola wrote-

Quote:
Outrageous.

That's nothing. 4 soldiers in the bogs on an express train. Piece of cake. Fiona said it was anyway. I don't fancy it myself though. I'm a soldier.

I once saw a most esteemed paragon of English rectitude, the Duchess of somewhere or other, in the top five, thousands of acres of woodland and park sort of thing with a grand pile where it is hidden from passing hoi polloi, being interviewed on TV about her past and when asked- "what do you regret the most?", replied, as if butter wouldn't melt on her little finger nail, "Oh-not having had the Edinburgh rugby fifteen when I had the chance."

The interviewer got a little flustered after that and started asking about what sort of cars she liked.

She was in her 80's at the time and she was referring to an incident nostalgically.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:34 pm
blatham wrote:
Joe, you know I'm loath to quibble
but finn, at most, can bare a nibble

My chip is ever poised for a fight
And you dear mountie are invited to bite.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:50 pm
Lola wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Bush supporters remain clueless as to the depth of the resentment his administration has generated around the world.

Ask anyone outside the USA.

Joe(Guantanamo)Nation

Not really, we just don't care.

Sour grapes?

It's clear Bush and his supporters don't care about much, least of all their reputations.

Hardly. I don't measure the effectiveness of our president by the extent or nature of his appeal to citizens of other nations. Afterall Europeans loved Clinton, and no doubt they would have loved Kerry too.

It shouldn't take a genius to realize that the perfectly valid self-interests of foreigners will dictate the extent of their regard for an American President and not their perception of how well he has protected and advanced the interests of America.

"Friends of Lola remain clueless as to the depth of disregard her posts have generated among A2K conservatives. Just ask anyone outside of her clique."

I suspect you don't care --- sour grapes?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:53 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
Joe, you know I'm loath to quibble
but finn, at most, can bare a nibble

My chip is ever poised for a fight
And you dear mountie are invited to bite.

Do spare Finn's chip,
Another nibble
Another bite
Will place his depleted manhood
In Vinsan's sight.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:59 pm
Advocate wrote:
As is the wont of stupid people, Dys lacks a sense of humor.

Not that I've ever noticed.
0 Replies