Anyone for cricket...?

spidergal

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 08:05 am
@dadpad,
Not good, but I'm not too surprised. He was struggling with fitness only yesterday and didn't look his best today.
spidergal

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 08:45 am
@spidergal,
Goodnight Hinge and DP - I just figured it must be past midnight in Oz. When you wake up, your side might be out of the Cup. Brace up.
hingehead

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 03:41 pm
@spidergal,
Yay! I need the sleep, and I don't need the existential angst of watching them constantly under achieve.
hingehead

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 03:52 pm
I'm now 2 for 2 in my prediction game!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 09:29 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Yay!

Shocked
0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 11:36 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Yay! I need the sleep, and I don't need the existential angst of watching them constantly under achieve.

Steady on, you're starting to sound like a soccer fan from England. Neutral
spidergal

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 04:23 am
@Oylok,
But Hinge actually does follow the Barclays Premier League, Oylok. He's a staunch supporter of Sunderland, or the Black Cats, who were recently drubbed by my former favourites, Liverpool.

Oylok

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 11:08 am
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:
But Hinge actually does follow the Barclays Premier League, Oylok. He's a staunch supporter of Sunderland, or the Black Cats, who were recently drubbed by my former favourites, Liverpool.

Your new favourites being ... Chelsea?

My favourite approach to sport is to avoid cheering for anything English. It conditions the mind into thinking one's team (in sport or in life) is always going to lose.

I'm new to cricket, so I'm wondering whether the following is generally deemed a respectable showing in an ODI:

YOUR TEAM 229/6 -- THEIR TEAM 231/0 (39.3 overs) ???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but England's performance seemed about as respectable as losing a game of lawn bowling to a cricket.
spidergal

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 09:02 am
@Oylok,
Quote:

Your new favourites being ... Chelsea?

How did ya know that?!

Quote:
I'm new to cricket, so I'm wondering whether the following is generally deemed a respectable showing in an ODI:

YOUR TEAM 229/6 -- THEIR TEAM 231/0 (39.3 overs) ???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but England's performance seemed about as respectable as losing a game of lawn bowling to a cricket.

While 230 used to be considered a respectable total two-three years back, these are the post twenty20 days where 300 is the new 250, and a top-rate (ok, that is debatable) team like England is expected to post at least something on the boundaries on 250.

But in this particular match, they were up against a highly consistent team, which boasts a world-class spinner like Murali, and that particular pitch (I forget what the location was) is known for low totals, so 230 was a pretty solid score, IMO.

But England's problem is they play cricket only for the Ashes. I think they need to get over it, and look beyond.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 09:52 am
@Oylok,
English cricket teams are certainly consistent. I'll give them that much.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 07:24 pm
D'ýa realise that the Kiwis did better than us! They actually won their quarter final. ****!

Whatever happened to "as long as we beat New Zealand"?

Should we shoot Ricky Ponting now? Can the Pup do better?
spidergal

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 03:18 am
@margo,
Ricky's been great, yes, but I think it's time for him to hang up his boots now.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 07:40 pm
Clarke's faults: young, good-looking, with a touch of celebrity
Matt Smith
March 31, 2011
yesterday's announcement that 29-year-old Michael Clarke would be taking the post (Australian cricket team captain) was always going to be met with a bit of scepticism. Does someone so ''young'' have what it takes to claim such an important position?

He poses in his underwear, dates supermodels, knows his way around Twitter and is covered with tattoos. Love it or hate it, these are common themes today for those who tread a fine line between celebrity and sportsman.

Alexander the Great led his troops to victory and conquered the known world before he was 30. Just because he looks half-decent in his underwear, don't think that Michael Clarke can't do the same.

full article 'ere mate
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/clarkes-faults-young-goodlooking-with-a-touch-of-celebrity-20110330-1cg7y.html
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 07:59 pm
At least he got rid of Lara Bingle - probably wouldn't have made it with her in tow!
dadpad

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 08:02 pm
@margo,
Prolly regrets the tattoo now.
margo

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 08:04 pm
@dadpad,
and he does look good in his underwear (I hear!)
Dutchy

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 08:08 pm
@margo,
Nothing wrong with your eyesight margo. (I hear!) Laughing
margo

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 08:14 pm
@Dutchy,
Wink Cool Laughing
dadpad

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 08:18 pm
@margo,
I think he forgot to remove his protector.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQ0LVGyvTaQbrTnyhzaB4xL8leDWUgIBs3Taiu5a6g57fFfm2O
spidergal

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:27 am
@dadpad,
Girls die for those kind of thighs.