Anyone for cricket...?

margo

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 07:43 pm
@hingehead,
Good to see my fvourite, Mr Cricket, Michael Hussey, back and performing!

Agree on CameronWhite, he's neither useful nor decorative!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 03:36 pm
Damn. England won - now I need Bangladesh to beat South Africa AND the West Indies to beat India.

Do you think I could SA and India to throw their respective games as some sort of payback for colonial injustices?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 07:31 pm
Ricky Ricky Ricky....
It was only Canada, it's not like it really mattered.
hingehead

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 09:18 pm
@dadpad,
Do you think he has issues outside cricket? He's not a very happy fellow.
fobvius

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 09:24 pm
@hingehead,
If that's your call then that's your call, captain.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 09:42 pm
@hingehead,
He's certainly under pressure from somewhere. Maybe theres a bit of offield tension between the captain and Smith.

I'd be willing to bet they had a team talk and stressed the importance of on field communication just prior to the match.

In the film i saw Ricky seemed to be calling for it. Smith seemed to be embarresed when the collision occored.
man... if the captain is calling MINE MINE MINE. I'm not going to to go for it. If he drops it thats his problem.
maybe smith thought he was backing up in case it popped out, missjudged and got too close. Maybe Smith was in a better position and Ricky rode over him.

hingehead

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 11:14 pm
@dadpad,
Ricky was definitely calling, Smith is young maybe the blood was rushing in his ears, maybe Ricky was thinking of Gillespie running into Steve Waugh, but a death stare would have been more than enough - clearly Smith knew he'd fucked up, the ball slamming just seemed petulant, the sort of thing that got punter into a fight at the Bourbon and Beefsteak when he was Smith's age.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 10:00 am
If England make it to the knock-out stage after losing to minnows like Bangladesh and Ireland, then I'm going to lose whatever faith I've left in the game of cricket.
Oylok

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:19 pm
@spidergal,
Quote:
If England make it to the knock-out stage after losing to minnows like Bangladesh and Ireland, then I'm going to lose whatever faith I've left in the game of cricket.

The ICC should only allow 3 teams per group through to the knock-out stage. Then the round robins would be less of a joke.
hingehead

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 04:25 pm
@Oylok,
I'd go a step further and say 2 teams from each group - so that run rates counted as well. - Or have four groups and get this interminable round robin over with. How many months does this run for?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 08:44 am

Pakistan 2 /80 Vs Australia 145
woefull so far. absolute crap!
margo

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 07:47 pm
@dadpad,
Aussies got walloped! I started to watch then fell asleep. Does that make it my fault!

Waratahs got beaten, too Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 10:34 am
When I last checked the score, West Indies were pretty much in control of the match. Miffed, I turned to something else.

I've just found out that India won - it has must have been an awesome comeback performance by the bowlers.

So India finish second in the group. Not too bad, eh.

Dad and I had a lengthy conversation about the World Cup over the phone today, and both of us agree South Africa looks poised to lift the cup this time.
hingehead

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 03:18 pm
@spidergal,
I'd say India and South Africa in the final right now (barring a knock out meeting). Never underestimate the South African ability to choke at the wrong time (historically anyway).
spidergal

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 02:15 pm
@hingehead,
I'm surprised you've so much trust in India, hinge!

Anyway, the world cup's kind of gotten its groove back, and I really want to catch all the knock-out matches now.

Go Pakistan!
hingehead

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 02:39 pm
@spidergal,
I just don't think Pakistan can be consistent enough to win three matches on the trot - and who knows what bookie will pay someone to drop a catch. Can Michael Jackson keep using that glove?

Sri Lanka might hold it together, NZ, England and WI just don't have the class, Australia's wheels are falling off.

That said the teams I've written off all have the potential to rise up in one game and knock over a favourite. Looking at the quaters

PAK vs WI (1st Quarter Final) Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur
AUS vs IND (2nd Quarter Final) Sardar Patel Gujarat Stadium, Motera
NZ vs SA (3rd Quarter Final) Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur
SL vs ENG (4th Quarter Final) R.Premadasa Stadium, Colombo

You would think that India, SA and SL would get through, maybe favour PAK over WI

So in the semis you'd have SA v SL and IND v PAK

So SA v IND seems most likely final to me - but still a chance for a 1996 replay! With Aus beating SL this time. Ha! Chance would be a fine thing.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 02:41 pm
@spidergal,
I still give the Aussies a chance! Smile
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 04:33 pm
Oh Look - Peter Roebuck agrees with me.
Quote:
The plot thickens - even without a script
Peter Roebuck
March 23, 2011
Sourced from the Sydney Morning Herald
If sport were logical, any fool could predict the outcome of the World Cup quarter-finals. Pakistan ought to overpower the West Indies, India should subdue the Aussies, the Proteas are supposed to trounce the Kiwis, and the Sri Lankans ought to extinguish England's flickering flame.

But sport has its own ways, and takes all sorts of other factors into account, including the drop of the coin, the bounce of the ball, weather and nerves. And cricket is an individual game in the guise of a team sport. An inspired player can turn a match on its head.

Pakistan have played strong cricket in this campaign, and ought to eject the West Indians. Shahid Afridi's side appears united and spirited, and Waqar Younis seems to be succeeding as coach. Waqar has told them not to indulge in the factionalism that blighted his career.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Umar Gul has been the pace bowler of the tournament. Tall and aggressive, he has held together an attack founded on spin. Although Kumar Roach has been periodically pesky, West Indies lack a champion speedster to put against him.

Pakistan's spinners also look superior, with Afridi working well in the middle overs and Abdur Rehman tying opening batsmen down with his canny tweakers.

Even so, the West Indies can cause an upset. It is by no means impossible that Ramnaresh Sarwan, Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard and Darren Bravo will carry the day.

Everyone except Australian supporters believes the holders are in with a fighting chance of beating India. Pessimism is reserved for followers alarmed by erratic bowling and stodgy middle-order batting. Certainly the hosts will be under more pressure. For the first time for 20 years, Australia will enjoy the luxury of starting a World Cup match as outsiders.

The Indians have been collapsing and, Zaheer Khan apart, the pace bowling lacks penetration. India used five spinners in their last outing. An awful lot depends on the openers and Yuvraj Singh, whose work has improved considerably after his splendid father told him to stop whining and to get into shape.

Australia look ripe for the plucking but it'd be foolish to discount them. Ricky Ponting needs everything to fall into place, his fast bowlers to hit the mark, his spinners to take wickets and his batsmen to rotate the strike.

Despite the prevailing gloom, it's not inconceivable. Australia's opening batsmen are resourceful, and Michael Clarke and Brett Lee have been in fine fettle. Ponting himself has a lot to lose and a lot to win. Can he roll back the years? It's hard to see this Australian side lifting the trophy but that does not mean they are pushovers.

South Africa and New Zealand meet in Dhaka, and the favourites will be under pressure. If the Kiwis are knocked out, it will be a disappointment not a disaster. Graeme Smith and his merry men know no such licence. Smith is stepping down as one-day captain at the end of the Cup, and knows he will be judged at least in part by its outcome. He leads a balanced outfit free from the scars of the past. Hashim Amla has been playing superbly, and the batting is strong.

South Africa have the superior attack, too, but the Kiwis will not fear them. These Kiwis believe in themselves, and cannot be taken lightly.

England have survived more scares than a child in a haunted house. Andrew Strauss has been batting well, and Graeme Swann has been superb, but the team's strength lies in its spirit. Whether they have anything more to offer remains to be seen.

Sri Lanka have deservedly become one of the most fancied sides. Although somewhat dependent on two excellent middle-order batsmen, the Lankans are playing with gusto and possess in the three Ms - Murali, Mendis and Malinga - the most potent trio in the tournament.

Logic insists Sri Lanka will join India, South Africa and Pakistan in the semis but the script has not been written, and it remains for one man or one team to seize the moment and to shake it until it submits.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 04:35 pm
Although it might be worth putting some money on WI v NZ....
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 05:38 pm
Well I'm batting a 100 so far (note the deliberately disconcerting use of baseball terminology). Pakistan humiliate the Windies in 21 overs.
0 Replies