margo

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 02:41 pm
@Wilso,
Sad but true, Wilso....

Howya going?
Wilso

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 03:05 pm
@margo,
At work, and still recovering from my "procedure" last week.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 10:05 pm
@Wilso,
Laughing
Quote:
And what sport are we discussing here? Hope it's Rugby League, because you'd be worried about betting on the Aussie cricketers to beat Canada right now!
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:24 pm
@spidergal,
great to see sri lanka's first series win in oz

thoroughly enjoyed the matches

yeah the league was brilliant too
spidergal

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:37 pm
@Miss L Toad,
Welcome, Miss L Toad, to A2k and the cricket thread!

Cricket fans are a minority here, so it's always good to see new ones!

How are you looking forward to the Ashes?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 12:01 am
I was wrong in saying Sri Lanka beat us 3-zip.

They are 2-0 up in a 3-match series. 3rd match is happening now. Sri Lanka all out for 115 in 32nd over

Welcome Miss Toad!

Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 12:15 am
@margo,
Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to an endless summer of cricket, and several good innings.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 12:53 am
At least the Aussies have started to display some form in this game against Sri Lanka. But the SL's have really taken their collective foot off the pedal. And Michael Clarke has started to hit 4's again - a good sign.

Watching the cricket on TV sans sound; listening to the ABC radio commentary, and A2K'ing!

Where are you from. Miss Toad? - there's nothing in your profile!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 03:58 pm
Aussies are going pretty good in the first test. A hat trick by Siddle, and almost a double ton by Mister Cricket who was facing being dropped just a few weeks ago. I'll bet beefy Botham feels like a right twit at the moment. Sits well on him.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 11:05 pm
I'm pretty happy for the Aussies! What were England thinking - that they are the new Oz? Hah!

Will be following the action on Cricinfo from work. Yeah, I have to work today. Duh.

Oh, and over here, Kiwis have elected to field in the first one-dayer.
Dutchy

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 11:10 pm
@spidergal,
Watching the test right now and England is slowly turning the game around, presently they are 1/239 and are leading by 30 odd runs. Aussie bowlers not firing today! I think we're heading for a draw in the 1st test, we're in the last session of play today, and have only tomorrow left.
Wilso

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 02:11 am
@Dutchy,
Dutchy wrote:

Watching the test right now and England is slowly turning the game around, presently they are 1/239 and are leading by 30 odd runs. Aussie bowlers not firing today! I think we're heading for a draw in the 1st test, we're in the last session of play today, and have only tomorrow left.

Warnie is gone. They have to deal with that reality. We don't really seem to have ANY strike spinner in the game in Australia at all, and that's really sad. I mean, Warnie was my generation's Bradman, and we may not see his like again for another generation, but we've got to find a spinner who can stay in the side, and take wickets regularly.
hingehead

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 05:52 am
@Wilso,
Really just replying as a bookmark. We never had a strike spinner before for decades before Warney either. And the great Windies' sides did fine without one. Our problems are more than just not having Warnie. I didn't watch today, how is Johnson bowling? I love the guy but he has to be on the flick list.
Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 05:58 am
Now do you say that in English?
hingehead

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 06:33 am
@Setanta,
It's cricket. You have to say it in English!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 07:46 am
@Setanta,
Sorry Set, it's cricket lingo.

But let's try to help. I'm assuming you had a problem with the words "strike spinner"? A spinner is a bowler in cricket who bowls with slow speed. A pacer/ fast bowler, on the other hand, will bowl fast. Now, what's a bowler? He's the equivalent of a pitcher in baseball.

THe guy in question - Shane Warne (Warnie) - is a leg spinner. I think "strike" is Oz slang for leg.

ETA: Here's some info on spin bowling in general, as I thought you'd be wondering what the heck is "leg spin"!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_bowling
Wilso

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 01:51 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Really just replying as a bookmark. We never had a strike spinner before for decades before Warney either. And the great Windies' sides did fine without one. Our problems are more than just not having Warnie. I didn't watch today, how is Johnson bowling? I love the guy but he has to be on the flick list.

But we've always had quality spinners who could come in and take a couple of wickets on day 4 and 5, or late in the innings. Jim Higgs, Ashley Mallet, Richie Benaud etc etc. That is the main thing the team is lacking.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 02:00 pm
@Setanta,
curve ball
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 02:26 pm
and Mitch Johnson is bowling like your grandmother. Can't bowl (0 wickets), can't bat (out for a 19 ball duck!), can't catch ( put down a catch from?? can't remember who). His role then must be as ornament????

Not likely to keep his place, unless there's a massive turnaround in his game today.
hingehead

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 03:26 pm
@spidergal,
A strike bowler is one who takes wickets regularly in high numbers - it's usually the bowler most in form, who has the best 'strike rate' - the one the captain can call on in pressure situations to save the day. We don't have one. (wikipedia says: In terms of assessing the effectiveness of a bowler, the average gives a useful but not a complete picture. Another useful statistic is the bowling strike rate - the mean number of balls bowled per wicket taken, indicating a bowler's wicket-taking potency.)
0 Replies