Most Important Issue of 2008

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 11:54 am
This is a humorous video, but I'm curious what the most important issues are to A2Kers.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/poll_bullshit_is_most_important
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,658 • Replies: 46
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 11:57 am
Three for me:
End the war.
Get Bush out and restore some fiscal responsibility.
Social justice.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 12:30 pm
incoming president ends war.
incoming president reverses all bushs' policies with a stroke of the executive order pen.
healthcare for every man woman and child.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 01:14 pm
The story on the Bomb New York song that is in the "related links" section is very relevant.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 04:09 pm
totally agree, bear. i hope such a person actually runs. haven't seen one yet, but that makes the issue no less important.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 04:23 pm
I haven't been to the Onion in years, thanks for reminding me bear.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/800/1133/1186584341/oasc02.247realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/TheOnion/Onion_House_250_O/deadhead_300x250bumperjesus.jpg
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:33 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Wont Happen.
Hillary has already said that she wont promise to have the US out of Iraq before her first erm ends.
She doesnt want to be seen as having lost the war.

incoming president reverses all bushs' policies with a stroke of the executive order pen.

Again, wont happen.
Some of his policies will require congressional acts to change, things like the tax cuts.
The repubs will have enough votes to block and congressional action to reverse Bush's actions on most things.

Again, wont happen.
Congress cannot mandate that people have health insurance, and since most people dont want illegal aliens to get govt insurance, it isnt going to happen.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 09:43 am
Sadly I agree with Mysteryman (and hope the irony is not lost on Bear).

Right wing wedge issues are very effective exactly because they can keep the rest of us from working together on things like health care.

Hatred seems to trump any other value.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 09:57 am
Hilary's staying in Iraq in order not want to look like the president who lost that war will have the opposite effect. The longer she stays in Iraq the more it will look like HER war--and that's bad unless, of course, she wins the war Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 10:02 am
The effects of "Universal Health Care" on quality and availability of health care for all American citizens.

How far will health care be rationed ?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 10:17 am
If we ever attain universal (or single payer) health care, it will probably be because corporate interests will it. They thiink they can't afford to continue to fund their own employee health systems.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 10:59 am
Miller wrote:
The effects of "Universal Health Care" on quality and availability of health care for all American citizens.

Average wait times in the ER at MGH are now 8-12 hours/patient.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 11:57 am
ebrown_p wrote:
The story on the Bomb New York song that is in the "related links" section is very relevant.

Brilliant
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 12:59 pm
Miller wrote:
Miller wrote:

Providing health care for all Americans clearly lowers the wait times in the Emergency room.

People who have access to regular medical care spend much less time in the Emergency room.

People who have no access to regular medical care have no where to go but the Emergency room.

I doubt that was the point you were trying to make.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 02:08 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Wont Happen.
Hillary has already said that she wont promise to have the US out of Iraq before her first erm ends.

Again, wont happen.
Some of his policies will require congressional acts to change, things like the tax cuts.
The repubs will have enough votes to block and congressional action to reverse Bush's actions on most things.

Again, wont happen.
Congress cannot mandate that people have health insurance, and since most people dont want illegal aliens to get govt insurance, it isnt going to happen.

notice how mysteryman automatically specifically referred to Hillary as the next president? Maybe even he is capable of reading the writing on the wall. Very Happy
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 05:40 pm
Miller wrote:
Miller wrote:

I would expect that to drop as the general health of your state begins to improve. These things don't happen overnight Miller.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 07:04 pm
Nutritious food for children, rushed adults, elderly. We're eating, but not the most nutritious food many times. Also exercise.

A slim, active nation is a contented nation.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 07:11 pm
Iran
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 07:34 pm
In 2008 the overwhelming issue will be the selection of a new U.S. administration. Democrats believe that they have a lock on the election, but I don't believe it. They'll continue to grab headlines and make statement appealing to American liberals, but in the end they don't offer much substance. Democrats are their own worst enemy, and as their convention looms the conflicts between candidates will get really vicious. They'll go into the general election splintered, and lose to a Republican candidate appealing to Middle America. Maybe not, we can only hope.

I expect that Iraq will decrease somewhat in importance, though the Radical Islamic Movement will do its best to keep the region in chaos. Iran will continue to bluster and threaten, but its highly doubtful that any significant fighting will occur. Chinese and Russian nationalism will probably continue to increase, and the military capabilities of those countries may be of increasing concern. The cost of oil is going to stay high, and both Parties will try to take advantage of the situation to build support for their respective candidates.

Almost always the critical issues are domestic pocketbook issues. The economy is doing alright. Unemployment is relatively small, and most Americans don't seem to be feeling too great a pinch. There is anxiety over the slump in home values due to the problems in the high-risk mortgages, but that will pass. Profits and productivity appear to be at acceptable levels. The National Debt is a major concern, and funding of Federal entitlement programs aren't going away ... especially not in 2008. Democrats will need to convince the voting public that increased spending for social programs and elimination of tax breaks won't make things worse for the common working people of the nation. Everyone wants programs, but most folks are smart enough to realize that someone has to pay for those services ... and usually that is the tax payer.

Special interest groups will all clamor for adoption of their favorite hobby horse, and that will make it harder for the Democratic candidate to put together a winning combination. And, that brings us full-circle back to the over riding issue of 2008 ... who will head the new Administration.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 04:00 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Wont Happen.

Again, wont happen.

Again, wont happen.

notice how mysteryman automatically specifically referred to Hillary as the next president? Maybe even he is capable of reading the writing on the wall. Very Happy

I said Hillary because she is the leading dem, NOT because I think she will be the next President.

But I notice that you didnt contradict anything I said, nor did you disagree.
I find that to be more interesting.
0 Replies