Most Important Issue of 2008

Foofie

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 08:58 am
In today's international politics, how can anyone vote for anyone that had no experience in the military? I'd sooner vote for a woman that is a veteran, than a man that spent his entire life as a civilian.

I think the voting public is too forgiving in allowing all these lifetime civilians to run for high office. Being in the military (a la Kennedy, Eisenhower) really is what should be a prerequisite for any individual that has high political aspirations, in my opinion, in context of our current, and foreseeable world situation.

Put simply I would like Presidents to have had the experience of saluting others, not just our flag.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:08 am
That doesn't leave you with many candidates to choose from.

By my count you have...

John McCain (who was recently shot down by immigration hardliners)
Mike Gravel (who never had a chance anyway)
Joe Biden (who would make a great president, but only has National Guard experience if that counts).

Oh yeah... I forgot about Ron Paul! I bet you are a Ron Paul supporter.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 02:03 pm
there have always been advantages to keeping the military outside the city walls, or stopping them from ruling. a civilian leader should in theory be as good as any other.

in practice, all leaders suck. we have "buyer beware" how about "voter beware?" you're just in love with the military, fine- but you support bush, that makes your stand funny. he's about as ex-military as my grandmother.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 02:14 pm
Your grandmother was in the Air Force Reserves? Bully for her!
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 06:59 pm
Tinygiraffe defines naive
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 09:09 pm
Foofie wrote:
In today's international politics, how can anyone vote for anyone that had no experience in the military? I'd sooner vote for a woman that is a veteran, than a man that spent his entire life as a civilian.

Yer gonna have a tough choice in '08 then..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 09:11 pm
If I can pretend to be American for a second..

Very roughly in order of priority:

1) Income inequality. Poverty. The vulnerability of the middle class and working poor.

2) And end to foreign policy based on bluster and sabre-rattling. A return to proper and realistic planning, and diplomacy where possible.

3) Health care. Universal health insurance.

4) An end to all torture, rendition, secret prisons, Guantanamo. For acute reasons of principle, as well as because it's the most counterproductive possible anti-terror strategy.

5) Climate change.

6) Quality of education, especially in disadvantaged areas.

7) Union rights. Job protection. Worker protections.

8) The war in Iraq. (It's at this low a place because I don't see any good ending to this story Bush unleashed no matter what the next President does...)

9) Out with the hacks who've been appointed throughout federal government for ideological loyalty only.

10) Corporate excess, exorbitant bonuses that have come completely uncoupled with any kind of measure of merit, reversing the huge tax cuts for the richest.

11) On illegal immigration, forget about the fence nonsense, just finally get serious about checking employers and fining those who employ illegals.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 09:15 pm
A fine liberal agenda.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 09:38 pm
nimh wrote:
If I can pretend to be American for a second..

Very roughly in order of priority:

1) Income inequality. Poverty. The vulnerability of the middle class and working poor.

2) And end to foreign policy based on bluster and sabre-rattling. A return to proper and realistic planning, and diplomacy where possible.

3) Health care. Universal health insurance.

4) An end to all torture, rendition, secret prisons, Guantanamo. For acute reasons of principle, as well as because it's the most counterproductive possible anti-terror strategy.

5) Climate change.

6) Quality of education, especially in disadvantaged areas.

7) Union rights. Job protection. Worker protections.

8) The war in Iraq. (It's at this low a place because I don't see any good ending to this story Bush unleashed no matter what the next President does...)

9) Out with the hacks who've been appointed throughout federal government for ideological loyalty only.

10) Corporate excess, exorbitant bonuses that have come completely uncoupled with any kind of measure of merit, reversing the huge tax cuts for the richest.

11) On illegal immigration, forget about the fence nonsense, just finally get serious about checking employers and fining those who employ illegals.

A fine agenda for any decent human being.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 09:42 pm
Thank you both. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 09:42 pm
Iran, we're about to flotz Iran and subsequently ourselves.

Why is this not first?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 10:25 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Iran, we're about to flotz Iran and subsequently ourselves.

Why is this not first?

Cant speak for the others, but in my list that would fall under #2:

"2) An end to foreign policy based on bluster and sabre-rattling. A return to proper and realistic planning, and diplomacy where possible."

However, I interpreted the question to be along the lines of what the priorities of the new President should be. If the President is going to be a Democrat, imminent war with Iran will be off the table, and the flotzing prospect loses its urgency. If he is not, then none of my priorities are going to get a hearing anyway...

Even with a Republican in charge, though, I dont think war with Iran will be on the agenda anymore, not anytime soon.. its more a neocon Bush/Cheney thing. Despite campaign rhetorics, I think Romney, Thompson and Huckabee would all be realistic enough to steer clear; they also all dont have that interventionist zealotism that has marked the Bush administrations. Even McCain, hawk though he is, I think can be counted upon to not risk the lives of US soldiers rashly.

If it's Giuliani however, God help us all...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:39 am
McGentrix wrote:
Your grandmother was in the Air Force Reserves? Bully for her!

for being able to pass a military physical|?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:53 am
Alas, nimh, I think it will happen sooner than election time. I hope I'm wrong.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:58 am
don't be silly, my grandmother was a recruiter, who pushed things around so that bush would never see combat, until he was in a position where he could run back home to connecticut before she got back aboard her grandmothership and told the moonmen on bush's lunar base "mission accomplished!"

everyone knows that. they're both proud americans and fine servicemen (and grandwomen.)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:24 am
Miller wrote:
Miller wrote:
The effects of "Universal Health Care" on quality and availability of health care for all American citizens.

How far will health care be rationed ?

Average wait times in the ER at MGH are now 8-12 hours/patient.

And for some patients needing a bed, the total wait time in the ER can be 24 hr.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:26 am
Foofie wrote:
In today's international politics, how can anyone vote for anyone that had no experience in the military?

And what military experience does Dr. Rice have?

Seems she's doing a dam good job without going to boot camp.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:26 am
Miller wrote:
Miller wrote:
Miller wrote:
The effects of "Universal Health Care" on quality and availability of health care for all American citizens.

And for some patients needing a bed, the total wait time in the ER can be 24 hr.

And this is the system which we don't want to change, why?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:27 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Miller wrote:
Miller wrote:
Miller wrote:

Cycloptichorn

This has nothing to do with "THE SYSTEM". It has to do with the fact that excellent hospitals must now ration their care, because of large numbers of patients who are ill and needing care.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:29 am
Miller wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Miller wrote:
Miller wrote:
Miller wrote:

Cycloptichorn

This has nothing to do with "THE SYSTEM". It has to do with the fact that excellent hospitals must now ration their care, because of large numbers of patients who are ill and needing care.

Don't you think that if more people had access to regular doctor care, less would visit the emergency room?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies