Miller

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:43 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Miller wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Miller wrote:
Miller wrote:
Miller wrote:
The effects of "Universal Health Care" on quality and availability of health care for all American citizens.

How far will health care be rationed ?

Average wait times in the ER at MGH are now 8-12 hours/patient.

And for some patients needing a bed, the total wait time in the ER can be 24 hr.

And this is the system which we don't want to change, why?

Cycloptichorn

This has nothing to do with "THE SYSTEM". It has to do with the fact that excellent hospitals must now ration their care, because of large numbers of patients who are ill and needing care.

Don't you think that if more people had access to regular doctor care, less would visit the emergency room?

Cycloptichorn

A woman with advanced colon cancer had surgery to remove part of the affected intestinal area, at the MGH. She had major medical health insurance and was in her 40s, upper middle class and professional.

A short time after her surgery, while at home in an upper middle class suburb outside Boston she develop intense intestinal pain. After consultation with her MGH surgeon who had performed her colon surgery, she and her husband went to the MGH ER, for evaluation and treatment.

Her time on a cot in the ER was 8-12 hours, during which time she was medicated for her pain and vomiting. She required a hospital bed and it took a considerable time (24 hr?), before she could be transported from the ER to her hospital room.

Surgery for her intestinal blood clot was then scheduled.

The primary problem today is the overloading of our major urban hospitals, which for the most part are our major teaching hospitals. ( In Boston these are affiliated with Boston U, Tufts U and Harvard medical school.

Perhaps more hospitals need to be built to fill the demand for more medical care and to accomodate the increasing demand for hospital beds.

As the population ages and the number of boomers increases, some hospitals will have to close their doors to incoming patients because they're now working at capacity.

Universal health care coverage only increases the problem and for that reason, many MDs are also leaving medicine because of the stress associated with rationing.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 11:22 pm
Quote:
Universal health care coverage only increases the problem and for that reason, many MDs are also leaving medicine because of the stress associated with rationing.

perhaps the problem is there aren't enough rich people to maintain a capitalistic medical industry?

if everyone was paying for it out of taxes, they might be able to open more hospitals.

but that's crazy right! they're always having to end wars because we've run out of missles and tanks and supplies. if we can find the money for wars, surely we can find the money for medicine.

but then if you made it so that every soldier had to earn and purchase all his supplies, we might be shutting down war campaigns, due to rationing. fortunately for the defense contractors, our military is socialized.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 06:50 am
Quote:
One of these things is not like the other0

George W. Bush and Hillary Clinton have both just had the opportunity to address the war on terrorism in the context of a relatively sophisticated, academic discussion. Suffice it to say, they used their opportunities differently.

Here's the president, speaking this morning in the Distinguished Lecturer Program at the National Defense University:

"We're at war with coldblooded killers who despise freedom, reject tolerance, and kill the innocent in pursuit of their political vision ... And one of the real challenges we face is, will we have confidence in the liberty to be transformative? Will we lose faith in the universality of liberty? Will we ignore history and not realize that liberty has got the capacity to yield the peace we want? So this administration, along with many in our military, will continue to spread the hope of liberty, in order to defeat the ideology of darkness, the ideology of the terrorists -- and work to secure a future of peace for generations to come. That's our call."

Now here's Clinton, asked by Guardian America's Michael Tomasky whether terrorists "hate us for our freedoms" or actually have "specific geopolitical objectives."

"Well, I believe that terrorism is a tool that has been utilized throughout history to achieve certain objectives. Some have been ideological, others territorial. There are personality-driven terroristic objectives. The bottom line is, you can't lump all terrorists together. And I think we've got to do a much better job of clarifying what are the motivations, the raisons d'etre of terrorists. I mean, what the Tamil Tigers are fighting for in Sri Lanka, or the Basque separatists in Spain, or the insurgents in al-Anbar province may only be connected by tactics. They may not share all that much in terms of what is the philosophical or ideological underpinning. And I think one of our mistakes has been painting with such a broad brush, which has not been particularly helpful in understanding what it is we were up against when it comes to those who pursue terrorism for whichever ends they're seeking."
http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/

I suggest that a meta-issue precedes all else. The modern Republican party must be removed from power.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 03:27 pm
Will I need more warm clothes for my move to Canada?

Laughing
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 04:47 pm
Miller wrote:

Laughing

Probably not since temperatures are going up all over the globe.

But that is another issue altogether.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 08:32 pm
Miller wrote:

Laughing

Not at all. The chill will build character. And of course, if you happen to come down with any sort of cold-related ailment, our medicare program will wrap about you like the soft wings of a mother dove.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 09:37 pm
@Asherman,
Some pretty bad calls in there in retrospect. Whatever happened to Asherman?
0 Replies