Oil at $87 and rising - still no alternative energy

okie

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:52 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Yeah, nothing ever has happened badly to the environment when oil is involved. Rolling Eyes

Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Oil is a natural substance, and oil fields do occur in outcrop, however most of the light ends have evaporated away, leaving tar deposits. It has been dangerous to wildlife, as evidenced by the La Brea tar pits in LA where Sabre Tooth Tigers and other prehistoric animals became mired and died.

The point is, oil has been around a long long time and occurs naturally, and therefore is not mortally dangerous. It can be managed, and has been managed. Our lifespans are increasing, even with all the oil we consume.

So if you see a drop of oil, you don't need to shy away from it, cyclops, you won't die.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:57 pm
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Yeah, nothing ever has happened badly to the environment when oil is involved. Rolling Eyes

Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Oil is a natural substance, and oil fields do occur in outcrop, however most of the light ends have evaporated away, leaving tar deposits. It has been dangerous to wildlife, as evidenced by the La Brea tar pits in LA where Sabre Tooth Tigers and other prehistoric animals became mired and died.

The point is, oil has been around a long long time and occurs naturally, and therefore is not mortally dangerous. It can be managed, and has been managed. Our lifespans are increasing, even with all the oil we consume.

So if you see a drop of oil, you don't need to shy away from it, cyclops, you won't die.

It's difficult to believe that you would think that altering the existing environment by including substances which are harmful to the animal life there could be considered 'natural' in any way.

Tell ya what, Okie - Lava is 'natural' as well. We'll start running a ton of it in a pipe that goes through your living room. It'll be a great way to get Geothermal heating. It's not mortally dangerous to you - we'll be careful, and if you see a few drops, why, don't worry about it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:02 pm
Nobody is advocating drinking oil or using it on our salads, cyclops. We only pave alot of roads with derivatives of it, and it works pretty well for that. The point is the substance is manageable, and not that great of a problem, as compared with many other problems, considering the benefits to society. If we went back to horses, probably many more people would die from being kicked or thrown off a horse, or from getting manure into the drinking water.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:07 pm
okie wrote:
Nobody is advocating drinking oil or using it on our salads, cyclops. We only pave alot of roads with derivatives of it, and it works pretty well for that. The point is the substance is manageable, and not that great of a problem, as compared with many other problems, considering the benefits to society. If we went back to horses, probably many more people would die from being kicked or thrown off a horse, or from getting manure into the drinking water.

But nobody is advocating a return to horses. Instead, we are advocating an advancement to better, more efficient, more technologically advanced methods of transportation.

You are actually making the same arguments.. as the horse and buggy crowd made when the automobile came along Laughing

We went from a non-viable space program to standing on the moon in a decade through governmental involvement, leadership, and desire. We can do the same for cleaner and better transportation - if we have the leadership. What's the downside?

We spent 200 billion on war this year. Give 10 billion a year to small businesses, researchers, and the auto companies - in the form of prizes for best results and tax credits for new factories - and you'll see innovation skyrocket at a paltry price for the US.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:30 pm
cyclo :
i certainly agree with all you said in your post !
to add to your post :
when streetcars started , they were being pulled by horses , thereafter some swichted to small steam-driven engines and by 1881 the world's first ELECTRIC streetcar started to operate in berlin/germany !

http://www.museum.com/IN/images/dgfx/1515.jpeg

i recall a famous british cartoon (cruikshank ?) of the coach drivers swearing at the steam train because they took their business away - they didn't like change either , but the railways simply bypassed them .
progress and change can't be held up - even if it is inconvenient or even damaging to some .
hbg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:34 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
But nobody is advocating a return to horses. Instead, we are advocating an advancement to better, more efficient, more technologically advanced methods of transportation.

You are actually making the same arguments.. as the horse and buggy crowd made when the automobile came along Laughing

Uh, no he isn't. Your idea of advancement appears to involve a heavy stock investment in companies producing human powered vehicles with stickers on them that read "Cannondale", "Specialized", and "Trek".

Don't make me bust a gut laughing.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:37 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Uh, no he isn't. Your idea of advancement appears to involve a heavy stock investment in companies producing human powered vehicles with stickers on them that read "Cannondale", "Specialized", and "Trek".

Don't make me bust a gut laughing.

The funny thing is, while I do own stock in some of those companies - which have done quite well - the stock I own in solar power and wind companies have done quite well, thanks.

I will state that bicycles are some of the most efficient machines ever invented - when in tune, of course.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:37 pm
Folks, before you start glorifying your "solution", you may want to get out of the city for a moment and remember that the world is a big place. Take a trip to Wyoming. Try to find some public transportation there.

Fact is, most large cities in the US already have mass transit. Other fact it, is it often crime infested, dirty, and unreliable. When the put up the "no weapons" signs, then it really gets to be a problem. I don't like to sit in the kill zone.

I should also add that fully electric cars are far less "green" than gasoline powered versions. They are just "feel good" crap.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:41 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Folks, before you start glorifying your "solution", you may want to get out of the city for a moment and remember that the world is a big place. Take a trip to Wyoming. Try to find some public transportation there.

Fact is, most large cities in the US already have mass transit. Other fact it, is it often crime infested, dirty, and unreliable. When the put up the "no weapons" signs, then it really gets to be a problem. I don't like to sit in the kill zone.

Too extremist - it will take a variety of energy solutions to combat our problem.

I will state that Hybrids would allow Montana's drivers to go much farther then normal, for less money.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:42 pm
cyclo wrote :

Quote:
We went from a non-viable space program to standing on the moon in a decade through governmental involvement, leadership, and desire. We can do the same for cleaner and better transportation - if we have the leadership. What's the downside?

no downside imo , but i'm sure there are plenty of people that have to be dragged shouting and screaming to accept those new technologies .

you know the old saying : " why change , it was good enough for my dad , grand-dad , me (fill in as required ) ".

as scientists are apt to say : "there is only one constant and it is CHANGE ! " .
accept it or perish !
hbg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:44 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I will state that Hybrids would allow Montana's drivers to go much farther then normal, for less money.

Cycloptichorn

Montana is overrun with libtards from Hollywood. They already have hybrids - really, really expensive ones. The problem is, since they hate hunting, they all hit large game animals who can't hear them coming. Laughing
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:36 pm
hamburger wrote:
cyclo wrote :

Quote:

no downside imo , but i'm sure there are plenty of people that have to be dragged shouting and screaming to accept those new technologies .

Who said anyone was against new technology. The fact is there is no technology currently available to make oil out of date. Your debate points are based on ignorance of reality. The reality is that even with new technologies, oil usage will not decrease anytime in the near future. Yes, that includes hybrid and electric cars. They will not make much of a dent in oil consumption anytime soon. Your arguments are hollow and not based in reality.

Quote:
you know the old saying : " why change , it was good enough for my dad , grand-dad , me (fill in as required ) ".

as scientists are apt to say : "there is only one constant and it is CHANGE ! " .
accept it or perish !
hbg

Agreed, but the kind of change you are talking about is not happening on a big scale and won't anytime soon so that oil consumption will be reduced in any significant way. We will be lucky to hold consumption to a lower rate of growth or cause it to plateau out in the next 10 to 20 years.

When you actually have pertinent facts to back up your arguments, I would be interested, but so far I,ve seen nothing, except just talk.

This discussion proves one thing again, liberal energy solutions are based in idealism, not reality. Idealism is fine, but we really need to temper it with a big dose of reality and do things that are practical and applicable to help ourselves instead of shooting ourselves in the foot.

One last note, mass transit is not worth alot in terms of doing much of anything to save energy in this country. I have a long time ago on another thread proven that at least in one big city, Denver, the bus system consumes more fuel than if everybody that rides the bus would simply drive their own car that would get 30 to 35 mpg. I realize cars don't average that yet, but some will do better than that now, and future efficiencies will improve, and certainly a motorcycle would be close to twice as efficient. Mass transit is only a convenience, but not much of an energy saver.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 12:22 pm
One senator, just one, Wayne Allard of Colorado, had enough sense to vote against the suspension of oil purchases for the national petroleum reserve. It amounts to 70,000 barrels per day, just 7% of the approximate estimated production we could be getting from ANWR right now if the Democrats had not blocked it for more than 10 years now.

I heard speculation that suspending the 70,000 barrels per day could lower the price a nickel a gallon, which is strange because I thought I heard the Democrats assert that not having ANWR's 1 million barrels per day would only amount to a penny per gallon. Liars or idiots all of them, except one senator, the honorable Wayne Allard.

I think the petroleum reserve is for emergency purposes, and suspending purchases during the normal course of the market demand of oil, is not only irresponsible and stupid, but the Senate has its priorities out of order, they care more about a nickel per gallon of gas and getting re-elected than they do about the security of the country. Traitors. Thats a bit of strong word, I don't mean it, but seriously these people should have a brain. They will claim 70,000 barrels per day is so all fired important, but they won't allow drilling to obtain a million barrels per day because it won't amount to a hill of beans. They need to take math all over again.

http://breakingnews.denverpost.com/dynamic/stories/C/CONGRESS_ENERGY?SITE=CODEN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-05-13-06-39-09
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 12:23 pm
okie wrote:
One senator, just one, Wayne Allard of Colorado, had enough sense to vote against the suspension of oil purchases for the national petroleum reserve. It amounts to 70,000 barrels per day, just 7% of the approximate estimated production we could be getting from ANWR right now if the Democrats had not blocked it for more than 10 years now.

I heard speculation that suspending the 70,000 barrels per day could lower the price a nickel a gallon, which is strange because I thought I heard the Democrats assert that not having ANWR's 1 million barrels per day would only amount to a penny per gallon. Liars or idiots all of them, except one senator, the honorable Wayne Allard.

I think the petroleum reserve is for emergency purposes, and suspending purchases during the normal course of the market demand of oil, is not only irresponsible and stupid, but the Senate has its priorities out of order, they care more about a nickel per gallon of gas and getting re-elected than they do about the security of the country. Traitors. Thats a bit of strong word, I don't mean it, but seriously these people should have a brain. They will claim 70,000 barrels per day is so all fired important, but they won't allow drilling to obtain a million barrels per day because it won't amount to a hill of beans. They need to take math all over again.

You don't know much about the way oil and gas pricing works, do you?

Increasing the supply for oil doesn't do much when you are running your refineries at full capacity.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 12:26 pm
The tree huggers and your ilk won't allow building more refineries, or at least it is made uneconomical by excessive regulation.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 12:27 pm
No liberal should be allowed to complain about the price of gasoline, period.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 12:28 pm
okie wrote:
The tree huggers and your ilk won't allow building more refineries, or at least it is made uneconomical by excessive regulation.

Oh, boo hoo, it's expensive to actually have to clean up your messes?

Cry me a river!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 12:41 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:

Increasing the supply for oil doesn't do much when you are running your refineries at full capacity.

Cycloptichorn

Last I heard they were running around 85%. But that was from some liberal source that used that statistic as a reason for not building more refineries.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 12:43 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Obviously neither do you. for 30 years not one Democrat or Republican has done ANYTHING in anticipation of the hijacking of this economy by the Cartel as well as domestic oil companies as well as US Auto manufacturers.

We are going to hear the same lame bullsh!t plans from Obama that we have heard for 30 years.

You get what you deserve. Pay at the pump.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 12:46 pm
My bicycle is still pretty cheap to fill up.

You addicted-to-driving folks are suckers. Man up and abandon that **** before it bankrupts ya - and get in shape at the same time.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies