hamburger

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 11:06 am
okie wrote :

Quote:
hamburger wrote:

Quote:
okie wrote :

Quote:
We drill for oil, we build nuclear, we mine coal, we produce natural gas, we build wind turbines, develop solar, we build hybrid cars, fully electric cars, and we continue to research all the other ideas and technologies under development, but we don't scrap the primary and most efficient energy source intentionally now, which is oil. Basically, we allow the market to determine the most economical and efficient energy mix.

quite an ambitious agenda !
i wonder who'll be footing the bill for all that ? will it be okie through higher taxes and higher gas prices ... or the fairy godmother ?have you checked the U.S. debt load lately ?

Duh? The people that use the products, no different than it has been since time began, unless you want the government to nationalize the industries and tax the bejeebers out of the people to pay for it, which hasn't worked out very well any time it has ever been tried. Unless you want to shut down all of those industries because they are too expensive you seem to be asserting, and then you are going to provide energy out of thin air, I have no clue what your argument is, hamburger. Whatever you are trying to say, doesn't make alot of sense. You don't get something for nothing. I would suggest you go find out how to drill for oil or mine a ton of coal and see if it is easy to do, and if it can be done free of charge??????

And the price of energy is going to go down if companies do not develop all of the above, is that your argument?

you could have simply said that to secure future supply , we will all have to agree to pay higher prices now .
i certainly would not have given you an argument about that - higher energy prices are a must imo .
i probably have missed your entry where you recommend that energy prices be increased now to ensure supply in the furure - i apologize !
hbg
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 07:34 pm
hamburger wrote:

you could have simply said that to secure future supply , we will all have to agree to pay higher prices now .
i certainly would not have given you an argument about that - higher energy prices are a must imo .
i probably have missed your entry where you recommend that energy prices be increased now to ensure supply in the furure - i apologize !
hbg

No apologies needed. I am not advocating any price increase, I am simply advocating let the free market determine the price as much as possible, and I am also simply recognizing the reality of likely upward price pressures in the free market by the realities of supply and demand. I think there will be corrections from time to time, with a possible downturn of oil prices as a result of lowered demand due to price, etc., but overall, I think the trend will be generally upward. The corrections that will occur, I don't know the duration of them, whether they will be a few weeks or as much as a few months, but I am fairly sure that when these corrections occur, the overall increased demand of the developing world will again dry up the supply, and price will once again climb.

As this scenario plays out over a period of years, there will be price plateaus reached where alternate energy sources will become more competitive in price and technologically, and these points in time will herald a whole new phase of activity in those alternate areas. Gradually, the energy mix will undergo small changes, and not so small changes.

Anyone suggesting that all of this can be changed overnight is whistling dixie. It will be a long process, and I recommend we simply have faith in the free market and human ingenuity that have always successfully responded to these situations in the past. Most importantly, government should reward ingenuity and profit in regard to new innovation, and should not become adversarial with the energy business, to punish them. Conservation and innovation can be rewarded by tax policies, etc., but to believe all of this should be turned over to the government to solve is the wrong tact for sure.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 11:18 am
http://www.prisonplanet.com/pictures/may2008/180508pers.jpg
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 08:59 pm
Bush going to Saudi Arabia to try to get additional oil production is akin to a farmer that could grow more apples, but refuses to do it and instead goes to his neighbor and tries to browbeat him into growing more and selling them to him as cheap as ever. To make the analogy perfect though requires that the farmer is actually a foreman working for a group of owners that demand more apples, but refuses to allow more be grown on their farm, but instead tells their foreman to go beg the neighbor to grow more to sell to them. When the neighbor raises the price, the owners still refuse to grow their own apples and complain more loudly about the price of apples.

The owners are dimwits.
0 Replies