Oil at $87 and rising - still no alternative energy

okie

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 03:21 am
Jim wrote:
Many of these posts focus on what the government should be doing.

What about what individuals should be doing?

How many people here are in car pools or take mass transit? How many people have changed out their light bulbs to the new high efficiency compact fluorescent light bulbs?
You forgot another really really bright idea for conservation, using less toilet paper, as suggested by some celebrity, I forgot who.

I have another idea, convince Al Gore to stay home, and to sell all of his homes but one.
0 Replies

easyasabc

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 02:29 pm
But there is an alternative engergy. It's environmentally friendly, clean, safe, inexhaustible, and compared to other energy sources, it's almost free. It's called nuclear energy.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 02:33 pm
easyasabc wrote:
But there is an alternative engergy. It's environmentally friendly, clean, safe, inexhaustible, and compared to other energy sources, it's almost free. It's called nuclear energy.

Naturally, it's not as easy as you describe.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 02:56 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
easyasabc wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Naturally.
:wink:

I would like see Solar powered rechargable batteries explored in addition to Nuclear for electric generators. I like those windmills too.

What would you prefer?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 03:50 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
easyasabc wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Naturally.
:wink:

I would like see Solar powered rechargable batteries explored in addition to Nuclear for electric generators. I like those windmills too.

What would you prefer?

In the long run, it's hard to see anything beating wind and solar in terms of personal and clean energy. In the short run, a mixture of nuclear, geothermal (moholes) and wind and solar should suffice. If we could get on top of fusion, why, that would be nice.

Creation of a nuke plant does, btw, take a truly immense amount of concrete - there are effects of the construction of it which someone offset the 'no pollution' claims.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:59 pm
Face it, wind and solar provide very little energy and the hope that they will in the future is decades away.

Lots of concrete in a nuclear plant seems like a small price to pay for providing energy for decades.

Interesting footnote I offer here, I watched a construction site the other day with huge earthmovers, scrapers, and dozers, as they worked to cut and fill along a new road being built. I tried to visualize the machines running on batteries or solar or wind, and I concluded again that deisel made from oil is pretty efficient and reliable.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 11:27 pm
okie wrote:
Face it, wind and solar provide very little energy and the hope that they will in the future is decades away.

Lots of concrete in a nuclear plant seems like a small price to pay for providing energy for decades.

Interesting footnote I offer here, I watched a construction site the other day with huge earthmovers, scrapers, and dozers, as they worked to cut and fill along a new road being built. I tried to visualize the machines running on batteries or solar or wind, and I concluded again that deisel made from oil is pretty efficient and reliable.

The thing is, the total thermal efficiencies of those engines is actually quite low. That is to say, very little of the power of the gasoline is transformable into usable energy by the machines - 20% at best according to some information discussed earlier in the thread.

In many cases electric motors exist that are as powerful as many of the gasoline that you see - they just require more efficient storage technology. That's why you see me going on about it so often.

Still, you will see that I did mix nuclear in there. I believe that there are ways to make it safe and that science can overcome some of the problems. And the energy output is quite large.

One thing to ponder - with greater efficiency gains in our electronics, we have often noticed a drop in the power necessary to run them. It won't be long before our computers are in many ways so small that solar and wind power would be ideal for powering many things which today suck off of the grid. I think solar and wind are technologies that individual people can invest in and use - this allows those who seek a cleaner environment to take direct action, instead of getting the government to do it for them. One would think that you would be behind this position fully - self-sufficiency for the homeowner, at least in terms of energy.

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 11:58 pm
Nuclear power plants are very expensive to build, but cheap to fuel. I wonder, tough, would the fuel still be cheap if the demand increased enough. Not arguing against them, by any means, but I don't know the long range pricing. I also don't know what oil will be selling for by that time either.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 06:06 am
easyasabc wrote:
If only it were that simple.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 06:15 am
okie wrote:

On the other hand - I've some difficulties to imagine all these working nuclear powered.

But that's certainly my fault.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 07:54 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:

The thing is, the total thermal efficiencies of those engines is actually quite low. That is to say, very little of the power of the gasoline is transformable into usable energy by the machines - 20% at best according to some information discussed earlier in the thread.

In many cases electric motors exist that are as powerful as many of the gasoline that you see - they just require more efficient storage technology. That's why you see me going on about it so often.

Still, you will see that I did mix nuclear in there. I believe that there are ways to make it safe and that science can overcome some of the problems. And the energy output is quite large.

One thing to ponder - with greater efficiency gains in our electronics, we have often noticed a drop in the power necessary to run them. It won't be long before our computers are in many ways so small that solar and wind power would be ideal for powering many things which today suck off of the grid. I think solar and wind are technologies that individual people can invest in and use - this allows those who seek a cleaner environment to take direct action, instead of getting the government to do it for them. One would think that you would be behind this position fully - self-sufficiency for the homeowner, at least in terms of energy.

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

Those are interesting long term solutions. We need a short term resolution if we really want to secure this nation and improve our economy.

There does not seem to be a candidate running next year that has said anything new (keep hearing the same old line) about short and long term solutions. This is troublesome.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 08:20 am
We're f--ked.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 09:49 am
cjhsa - I couldn't agree more.

We had our first energy wake-up call in the early 70s - and we did nothing.

I believe the United States is on a non-sustainable path, not only on energy, but on multiple issues. And on each and every one of them we are either doing nothing or actively digging the hole deeper.

Another SUV or big screen high definition TV anyone?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:31 am
Jim wrote:
cjhsa - I couldn't agree more.

We had our first energy wake-up call in the early 70s - and we did nothing.

I believe the United States is on a non-sustainable path, not only on energy, but on multiple issues. And on each and every one of them we are either doing nothing or actively digging the hole deeper.

Another SUV or big screen high definition TV anyone?

Your blame is misplaced. America has always driven big cars. My HDTV's use less energy than the old crap I replaced. Say "China".
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 03:35 pm
GENERAL MOTORS GREENS ITS "BIG MOTOR VEHICLES"
------------------------------------------------------------------
if you have some money to spare - and who hasn't ? - , you can now buy (or perhaps order) the G.M. hybrid-suv .
fuel economy - city driving : 20 mpg
improvement in mileage over gasoline engine : 40 %
two-mode hybrid engine
the new hybrid YUKON and TAHOE have a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs - probably enough to pull our house .

the new G.M. hybrid buses cut fuel consumption by 40-60 % , reduce smog emissions by 50 % and are as quiet as a passenger car .

full article :
G.M GOES GREEN
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 04:18 pm
Meanwhile the Fed cuts rates but other central banks hold or even raise rates so the dollar continues to slide.......

over the edge?

Sarkozy is worried if not Bush.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 04:28 pm
Bush today at the press conference:
Quote:
" I believe oil prices are going up because the demand for oil outstrips the supply for oil. Oil is going up because developing countries still use a lot of oil. Oil is going up because we use too much oil. And the capacity to replace reserves is dwindling. That's why the price of oil is going up."

source: FoxNews
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 04:50 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Bush today at the press conference:
Quote:
" I believe oil prices are going up because the demand for oil outstrips the supply for oil. Oil is going up because developing countries still use a lot of oil. Oil is going up because we use too much oil. And the capacity to replace reserves is dwindling. That's why the price of oil is going up."

Thats a pretty startling statement Walter. Bush must have been reading my posts these last 4 years.

Bush really isnt as dumb as he appears. He's just doing what any president would do in the position of presiding over a nation of addicts.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 04:58 pm
Bush is wrong.

Energy Statistics > Oil > Consumption (most recent) by country
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ene_oil_con-energy-oil-consumption
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 05:11 pm
Bush is wrong?

Your bar graph shows how right he is that Americans are hydrocarbon addicts.
0 Replies