wingnut jew haters, where are you?

spendius

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 05:52 pm
He should read Edward Gibbon on the subject. Perhaps he might become unpuzzled assuming he reads carefully and doesn't rush it for the purpose of being able to say he has read it in conversations at cocktail parties.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 06:34 pm
I could be wrong, but what she said sounds like she subscribes to Replacement Theology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replacement_theology

She can't be faulted for her religious beliefs; however, one has to wonder why an individual would want to say that which is very politically incorrect in the U.S. nowadays (it's not the 1930's)?

I would believe there is a big voting constituency that subscribes to Replacement Theology. Bush won with the help of the Evangelical Christian vote. I'd guess the non-Evangelical Christian vote (aka Replacement Theology) is not to be sneezed at either, so to speak.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 09:25 am
squinney wrote:
Bernie - I was just getting ready to post the same thing.

She's a Christian icon?

We should all be worried.

squinny
Jesus, mother teresa, ann coulter...a sort of trinity of iconic christian love.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 09:32 am
Foofie wrote:

She can't be faulted for her religious beliefs; however, one has to wonder why an individual would want to say that which is very politically incorrect in the U.S. nowadays (it's not the 1930's)?

Perhaps that is her deliberate intent. Wanting to mock the pseudo piety of contemporary political correctitude doesn't seem so far fetched to me.

There is certainly enough mockery of other forms of piety going around these days. (see above).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 09:35 am
Sheesh...she's placed in contrast, you nignog
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 12:32 pm
The attempt at contrast was lost on me too.

nignog
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 04:52 pm
Jim Wrote
Quote:
The best description of how I feel about people of the Jewish faith is on page 122 of "The Historians of Late Antiquity" by David Rohrbacher:

"He (Sozomen) asks at some length why it is that so many of the Jews, despite their familiarity with the biblical prophecies which identified Jesus as the Messiah, refused to convert to Christianity. His tone is not hostile, but is one of puzzled surprise

I do not wish to besmirch anyones religious beliefs. However, since you brought it up the mystery in my opinion is how people could believe in the myth of Jesus.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 05:48 pm
When it comes to religious beliefs, what makes one myth better than another myth? The beauty of the myth is in the gullibility of the beholder, I believe.

If someone thinks their myths are better than someone else's myths please explain why?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 05:52 pm
Foofie wrote:
If someone thinks their myths are better than someone else's myths please explain why?

There IS no explanation. Anything based on faith cannot be explained logically. I think that they are all valid, as landmarks in the history and evolution of civilization. But believable? Nah!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 05:55 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Foofie wrote:

There IS no explanation. Anything based on faith cannot be explained logically. I think that they are all valid, as landmarks in the history and evolution of civilization. But believable? Nah!

You made my point in a declarative statement. Thank you.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 06:00 pm
We find relatively little difficulty in ranking poetry and literature in terms of their quality of expression, universality and appeal to the basic human dilemmas. Why should myths be any different?

I think your expressions of scorn are a bit sophomoric.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 06:41 pm
Quote:
'Head and Heart: American Christianities,' by Garry Wills

How the tension between reason and emotion has shaped Christianity in America.
By Tim Rutten, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

October 10, 2007

The social historian and essayist Garry Wills is one of our most lucid public intellectuals, and no one working today writes more clearly or with greater authority on the intersection of religion and public life.

"Head and Heart: American Christianities" is a major contribution to the national debate over separation of church and state and ought to be read by anyone perplexed by the current interplay of religion and politics.

If you've wondered whether Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) was right when he said recently that America was founded as a "Christian nation," whether other Republican presidential candidates' views on evolution are electorally relevant, what effect Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's Methodism has on her social views or whether a candidate's stand on abortion must determine your vote, then this is your book.

Wills' argument is that American history has been marked by an oscillation between Enlightenment and Evangelism -- between head and heart. He contends that the fruitful tension between these two poles contributed directly to the U.S. Constitution's single wholly original contribution to the political tradition: "disestablishment of the official creed and separation of church and state." It is precisely this innovative separation, Wills contends, that has allowed religion to flourish in America as it does nowhere else in the developed world. It's also why he finds the hostility toward separation evinced by George W. Bush and the religious right so alarming.

Beginning with the Puritans...
http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-et-rutten10oct10,0,3157373.story?coll=la-books-headlines
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 07:04 pm
Jeepers. Here's a fellow from Israel's Haaretz...

Quote:
Ann Coulter's dream of a Jew-free America

By Bradley Burston

From time to time, particularly in the wake of schoolyard shootings, failing markets, failing wars, failing administrations and the like, Americans take pause to take stock, wondering what's at the bottom of the malaise that afflicts their beloved, chronically clueless nation.

What is it, really, that's wrong with America?

If we're taking nominations, I'd like to open the bidding with Ann Coulter.

You may know her as the acerbic, not to say verbally abusive, syndicated columnist whose bare-knuckles conservative punditry raises hackles and ratings across the cable news spectrum.

This month, Coulter waded into the mess first made by Republican White House hopeful John McCain, when he referred to America as a nation founded on the principles of Christianity, indicating that he would prefer to see a fellow Christian in the White House.

(snip)

Until recently, I failed to take Ann Coulter seriously. I was wrong.

I was wrong to write off as mere stand-up racism her advice after the September 11 attacks ["We should require passports to fly domestically. Passports can be forged, but they can also be checked with the home country in case of any suspicious-looking swarthy males."]

I was wrong to write off as scattershot shtick her comments against women's right to vote, her suggestion that John Edwards was a "faggot" who should have been assassinated by terrorists, her depiction of Islam as a religion whose whose tenets are "along the lines of 'kill everyone who doesn't smell bad and doesn't answer to the name Mohammed.'"

I was wrong to see her as some highly intelligent, well-educated, perversely gifted panderer to the lower common denominator. I was wrong to see her as some overqualified infotainment shock jock. I should have taken her seriously.

Ann Coulter is my enemy. Ann Coulter is the kind of patriotic, persuasive, powerful American who is precisely what is wrong with America.

I'll never underestimate her again. Ann Coulter has a plan for the Jews. She has one for Muslims as well. And it's her people who are exactly the kind of Americans who could find the way to try to carry it out.
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/912606.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 07:19 pm
blatham wrote:
Jeepers. Here's a fellow from Israel's Haaretz...

Quote:
Ann Coulter's dream of a Jew-free America

By Bradley Burston

From time to time, particularly in the wake of schoolyard shootings, failing markets, failing wars, failing administrations and the like, Americans take pause to take stock, wondering what's at the bottom of the malaise that afflicts their beloved, chronically clueless nation.

What is it, really, that's wrong with America?

If we're taking nominations, I'd like to open the bidding with Ann Coulter.

You may know her as the acerbic, not to say verbally abusive, syndicated columnist whose bare-knuckles conservative punditry raises hackles and ratings across the cable news spectrum.

This month, Coulter waded into the mess first made by Republican White House hopeful John McCain, when he referred to America as a nation founded on the principles of Christianity, indicating that he would prefer to see a fellow Christian in the White House.

(snip)

Until recently, I failed to take Ann Coulter seriously. I was wrong.

I was wrong to write off as mere stand-up racism her advice after the September 11 attacks ["We should require passports to fly domestically. Passports can be forged, but they can also be checked with the home country in case of any suspicious-looking swarthy males."]

I was wrong to write off as scattershot shtick her comments against women's right to vote, her suggestion that John Edwards was a "faggot" who should have been assassinated by terrorists, her depiction of Islam as a religion whose whose tenets are "along the lines of 'kill everyone who doesn't smell bad and doesn't answer to the name Mohammed.'"

I was wrong to see her as some highly intelligent, well-educated, perversely gifted panderer to the lower common denominator. I was wrong to see her as some overqualified infotainment shock jock. I should have taken her seriously.

Ann Coulter is my enemy. Ann Coulter is the kind of patriotic, persuasive, powerful American who is precisely what is wrong with America.

I'll never underestimate her again. Ann Coulter has a plan for the Jews. She has one for Muslims as well. And it's her people who are exactly the kind of Americans who could find the way to try to carry it out.
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/912606.html

Add to this the names of Limbaugh, Gingrich, etc.
0 Replies