Teacher Clothes, Teacher Hairstyle.....

Chai

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 04:38 am
OMG!

Jimi James??!!

This is a pretty good site.

OK, ladies....A2K caravan to one town over! We'll all get did by Jimi.

That's great littlek.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 05:18 am
I'm glad you found Jimi!

I think it's been mostly just trial and error for me in finding a good one. One thing I took into account this time is that I'd kept getting cuts that I was supposed to blowdry straight and that looked bleh when I just airdried them, which is what I prefer. I have schizophrenic hair, it can be super curly or quite straight. I decided to go to a place that said that they specialized in curly hair, with lots of testimonials, and that's the place that worked out great. My hair curls where it's supposed to curl, and looks the way it's supposed to when I just plain wash it (with good shampoo).

Or did -- everything's about 3-5 inches too long right now (my hair grows fast).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 04:57 pm
Now if I could keep him from persuading me to color my hair! He's persistent about that.

Oddly, Jimi James was the name of Moondggy's dog.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 05:22 pm
I can understand your not wanting to get involved with the coloring, because of the expense (especially right now with your career just starting), and once you start it's hard to stop.

You can tell by his work he's really talented, and boy, you would look gorgeous if you let him go for it.

Not even just this once?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 05:26 pm
Chai, I like my hair color, including the gray. If I wanted it colored I would continue with the cheap-o do-at-home stuff. My hair is cool. It's got fine and coarse blonde, red, black, brown and gray all mixed in together. I enjoy that.

And to add to your why nots - no matter what 'they' say, coloring damages hair.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 08:20 pm
Oh, I don't have any "why not's" for you, just tempting you. Very Happy

However, I do have to say, my hair is the healthiest hair I know, and I've had a number of hairdressers comment on it.

In fact, it's absolutely softer, silkier and shinier since I started coloring it, years back.

Not bragging, it surprises me to no end. All these products that are advertised? All I do is condition it with the tube of conditioner that comes with the color....it lasts me longer than the time between coloring...every 4 weeks (actually, every 2 weeks, I do the roots in between). So, coloring has improved my hair, not hurt it.

Then again, I don't blow dry or use curling irons, ever. Just hot rollers, and I don't let them get that hot.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 08:39 pm
Yes, the products can make your hair silkier. But, they are products. I've found one product requires another which requires another. All with their own strong smells and slick feel. Which all sort of bugs me, personally. I get distracted and irritated by strong smells. And I had adult acne, so I am loathe to use anything in my hair that I can later feel on my skin.

My quirkiness coming out.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:43 pm
I go to a hair forum sometimes, and based on the information there decided to try not using any products at all-- I thought it was crazy, I've always felt like I needed lots of stuff to control my hair, but it turned out that all the stuff was what was making it so hard to deal with....

But anyway, according to that site the way those products work-- using silicones to basically coat your hair-- is great for some people's hair (must be like Chai's). Some people's hair really doesn't do well without products 'cause it reacts well with the silicones, while some hair hates silicones and requires more and more and more product just to deal with the results of the silicones.... anyway, I'm glad I realized I have silicone hatin' hair. Smile Now I just use a little coconut oil after I wash it and that's it.

I just realized I don't really know why I'm posting this. Razz I'm sure you're all faaaascinated.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:32 am
But I don't use products cypher.

Just the coloring, because I'm all gray.

Then, any old shampoo I can get free with a rebate, and the little tube of conditioner that comes with the color....if I don't have those tubes...like if I got some other color free with a rebate, I just use any old conditioner I also picked up free.

I think my hairs okay primarily because I don't f*ck with it at all, beyond the basics of cleaning it and swiping some conditioner through it for 15 seconds after I wash it. I just don't see where the coloring hurts it at all.

Must be clean living.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:34 pm
littlek wrote:
OMG! I just googled Jimi James and found him again! Woohooo! He's moved back to one town over....... <does>

I haven't heard back from Jimi James' salon...... Maybe I'll drive by the address this weekend.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 06:30 pm
Chai wrote:
the little tube of conditioner that comes with the color....

Oh, that's what I was referring to-- usually conditioners that are supposed to be kinda "extra conditioning" or whatever, like what comes with hair coloring, have silicones in them....that's what makes 'em work better than a cheap-o condish.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 06:43 pm
Plan to buy me some coconut oil..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 08:23 pm
Get a bob cut... so hot...

http://www.kimlake.com/mkrz/pic/bobfireside450.jpg

Not! Well, maybe if you're a sheep!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 05:15 pm
Funny. Clothing and hair kind of came up this past week with the teacher I work with. I said I was trying to figure out when would be good to get my haircut and asked for a piece of the schedule that I don't have yet. We ended up talking about hair (we both need haircuts) and clothing. She wants a NY closet of clothes. 5 pants, several shirts, a couple of sweater sets and maybe 2 skirts. We talked about not buying from Walmart and she mentioned not wanting to buy at Target. I told her Target was my downfall. They had good clothing cheap. Then I said all of my clothing comes from Target or tj maax. She smiled and said she's a marshall's girl. Heehee. She now comments on an item of clothing: "that's a perfect sweater for the New York closet" <grin>.

I got in touch with Jimi James. He called me back after I had emailed him. I don't check phone messages very often. I almost went tonight, but he doesn't take credit. So, I'm sort of stuck again. Maybe at the end of the week I'll pull some cash together and be able to get a snip.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 05:58 pm
What's a "New York closet of clothes"?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:19 pm
littlek wrote:
5 pants, several shirts, a couple of sweater sets and maybe 2 skirts.

The amount of clothing that would fit in a NYC-sized closet (not including Lola's closet).
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:30 pm
That amount of clothes sound eminently sensible. Except for the skirts. Nix that, substitute a blazer or two....and fill your drawers with sweat pants and oversized t-shirts.

ahhhh.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:33 pm
Yep. But, does that really work? If you have a social life, do you have a separate closet for going-out clothes?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:37 pm
My social life revolves around sweat pants.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:41 pm
I really do like that bob. You've got the right face for it.

And, remember, there is nothing a hairdresser can do to you that won't grow out.
0 Replies