Teacher Clothes, Teacher Hairstyle.....

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:39 pm
I am feeling like I don't fit the part. and that I don't know how to fit. I know my philosophy and personality fit the school, so does it matter if my clothes and hair style don't? I don't even know for sure if they don't!

I hate this.

I have worked out the clothing sufficiently for now by being very safe. Everything is shades of brown or green with occasional orange-salmon, blue or black. But it's BORING!

The hair...... I have long thought that hairSTYLES are sort of a waste of time. I note with dismay all the soccer hip moms with their jennifer aniston hairdos. I go to get my haircut and say NOT THAT and get it anyway. Not that any one cane tell seeing as though I don't style it. The waste of time comes into the equation in that there is always a new style to be had, a quick trip tot he salon to keep up to date. I don't have the inclination to do that.

But, now that I've offended some people with jennifer aniston haircuts, do I really NEED a new style? I have an itch to go to a salon and tell them to do what they see fit. But the last time I did that, I regretted it. The one cut I loved happened 10 years ago in another state and when I tell stylists what she did they give me a blank stare. And I don't get the cut. I liked a haircut ok and went back for more only to get a different haircut that I didn't much care for. It drives me batty.

Wow, this has become a rant.

Do I just keep putting the long hair up in a bun or hair tie or do I go for a STYLE?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 23,449 • Replies: 125
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:47 pm
I'm a "no hair style" girl too. It's a pain in the ass and my hair never goes easily into a style. Every summer I get a blunt bob and as it grows out I start putting it up. It's all one length. The few times that I got a hair style it looked great for one day, and then once I had to try to recreate it at home it was all over.

That said, my job doesn't require much in the way of style. In your case, I think as long as you are appropriately covered you should wear whatever you want. Kids like a little color.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:51 pm
I like your hair long, littlek, but you could spice it up with some highlights,
some nice hairband, put some curls in it (hot rollers), and just try different hairstyles. Long hair is perfect for it.

As for your clothes, just accessorize with costume jewelry and scarves.
Look at some online catalogue and see how they present the clothes -
for example, at www.bostonproper.com you can see they use a lot of accessories on their clothes. Target has really inexpensive costume jewelry,
and so do other discount stores.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:54 pm
I know too well the hair dilemma...

I'm a wash and go sorta girl.
When I work, I pull it back out of my face. Especially in the summer. Paint in the hair sucks.

So, I'd been working for MONTHS, and one night, K and I were going to a party. Thought I'd let my hair down. Imagine my dismay to discover the tiny bit of "style" I may have had, was GONE!
Wore my hair up for the party.

Now, I don't think I've ever had a haircut that I've liked.
Then, this woman at work came in with a beautiful haircut. I asked her where, discovered this artistic woman that cuts hair in her living room, went and got the haircut of my dreams! For cheaper than a saloon!
I just told her what I like and don't like about my hair and let her do what she wanted.

So, finding that perfect haircut is possible. Have you seen anyone lately with a great haircut?

Until then, what's wrong with the bun or ponytail?

As far as clothes, buy what you like, in the colors that you like, that are still "appropriate" and stop worrying about fitting in... IMO.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:03 pm
One word.....hot rollers.

don't let them get too hot, just put them in, and flop them out a couple of minutes later. shake your head then run a comb through it. the end. anything else is totally optional.

learn to do a french twist.

there was a thread on it somewhere a while back.

when you've got the technique down, you can do it in 2 minutes or less, and it'll stay secure all day.

would you like a french twist lesson?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:07 pm
I don't know why you're agonizing over it. You are what you are and eventually people will stop judging the book by its cover, if indeed they are doing that.

Be comfortable in your own skin - you may set a trend!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:17 pm
I've had four or five haircuts in my lifetime that I've liked, including probably two cuts by myself, not easy. Even though I can draw and communicate reasonably well, when pressed, they all cheerfully agree, and then, nah. (Yes, I've had cuts done again. They forget the next time, same blank thing). No point for me to go to expensive places, they only mess up with attitude added.

I've always liked your hair in photos, littleK, I wouldn't worry about it, I'd think it a treasure. Something to hold it back, sure.

Well, y'all know i'm plenty weird. I see a basic outfit and basic hair as, yes - the Osso Hedge Speech again. They are background for play, as a hedge is for a specimen tree...

I'll wear any damn pin with any piece of clothing. (Well, not just any, I play, but, y'know, with an eye...) Or three railroad tie pins. Or ...

shhhhhhh. Don't tell the people in white coats --

I have all these hats and all these old clip earrings I never wear - so I put them on hat bands, ever so discreetly. (This just in the last week. Haven't worn one of the hats out the door yet.)

Not that you need to be me, but that I figure there is room for play even with the most teacherly outfit.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:22 pm
What a fabulous use for clip on earrings.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:31 pm
Keep the hair in a bun, and get some of those little reading glasses. If yoiu don't need them, get plain glass and be sure they're small enough you can peer at people over the top of the frames.

Really, I think Caribou is right (miss those perky ears) about the style. Whatever you pick, you'll probably be right at home with in a week or two.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:32 pm
I see I'm not alone. Forgive me my passing angst. It'll leave me and I'll be back to normal soon. I think I just need a trim.

I have accessories, but they're subtle. They do seem to get kids' attention.

French twist? Maybe I would like a lesson. I just bought a large barette that I can twist my hair into bun-style. I do have headbands that I have just started to use again. I'll be ok. Thanks for your support.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:34 pm
Oh, and I shower before bed so that I can minimize morning time. This may have to change. But, it pretty much means I don't spend ANY time on my hair. With a good cut, it doesn't matter.

(note to self: make appt for a trim).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:39 pm
I'm an old thrift shop queen. I have a St. Laurent coat (purple swirl) and a luxe Armani jacket, both for, if I remember right, $30., max 35.. So, on the grey armani, I have a (thrift shop) picture marble & silver pin, and on the purple swirl - well, now there's something to think about. Never have worn that coat, can't bear to put it back in the thrift shop world. On that one, I think a pin would be over the top.

Free Duck, I should take photos of the hats. I need to jump start with the digital camera..

Not to tangent your thread, littleK. Besides, I'd surmise you aren't all that jewelry oriented. Still... ribbon, somehow somewhere... skate key on chain... (too clanky).

You don't really need any of what I'm saying - I bring it up for your own potential amusement.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:43 pm
When I worked with kids several years ago, I wore a fun, trendy haircut and they got a big kick out of it and thought I was cool. That wasn't the plan but that's how it worked out. When kids think you're cool, they're more apt to pay attention and follow direction.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:44 pm
Erp, sorry for going on and on. Y'all post while I was typing going on and on.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:46 pm
eoe, I am already to, um, one of the gang with the kids. They see me a little too much like a peer.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:58 pm
I'm with the do your own thing group, littlek. Let the parents look like Jennifer if that's what they want, but you can only be true to yourself.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 10:12 pm
I'm gonna pipe up for hot rollers too...

I'm another haircut hater, and for years could never find anything to do with my hair that would look nice all day, because it's both thin and frizzy... Hot rollers are the ONLY thing that consistently makes my hair stay nice all day. lovelovelovity love them! They seem like they'd be a pain but honestly, once you get good at them they take less time than anything else (except a ponytail). My mom loves them too and from the pictures I've seen of you, lil k, it's always looked to me like you have very similar hair to my mom, so you might find that you like them too... I know they sound like too much but they've been a great find for me.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 10:22 pm
Lk, you have nice, healthy hair. A trim is totally enough. And god knows I can and often do spend too much time on my hair, so i'm not even a style-hater (though I am occasionally a style molester, when I cut my own hair, which is at least 50% of the time if not more).
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 12:43 am
Just a thought -- I'm an old, unrepentant hippie with long straight blonde hair (no change since 1965).

I was floored when someone I know said, "Obviously you don't care about success in business -- look at your hair!"

I guess it matters. But my hair hasn't changed.... d'you think if I "styled" it I could get a raise?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 04:11 am
Ah, hair. I haven't had a decent haircut since we lived in NY. We moved out in the end of '93. I've been cutting my own hair ever since. RP helps with the back but I do the front. And, yeah, I mess it up at times. But it's hair. It grows back. I finally have the bangs the way I like them.

I mainly wear ponytails, but a lot of that has to do with having to often fix a PC or crawl under a desk to locate something or other. I have done hot rollers in the past, thanks for reminding me, I may do them again. They really are simple. Main thing is, not a great idea to do them on rainy days. Then you may as well just go with the p'tail. Otherwise the humidity will render moot any styling you've done, even minimal styling.

I also do a lot of different clips and ties and the like. If I'm going to p'tail it, I figure to get some variety going that way. Yesterday's was a sparkly gold thing with fake blue jewels on it. Today's is a blue elastic. And so it goes.

As for clothes, I agree with the idea to accessorize. Or you might want to try different combos.

I understand there is something of a need to fit in, particularly with a new job. My suggestion is to find a woman you work with who is close in age to you (within a few years or so, one way or the other) who you feel fits in. If you like her style, emulate that a bit. Obviously don't carbon copy her, but if she's wearing grey flats you might want to consider black flats or whatever.

For example, my boss is about as casual as I am most of the time although she does occasionally wear suits. I pretty much just wear a suit or the like if there's some big meeting I have to go to. The woman over her wears suits pretty much every day, and I don't want to do that any more. So I fit in my emulating M___ to a certain extent, but not K___ unless it's an occasion where I have to. This seems to work out, I feel comfortable and like I'm fitting in although I do know I could try harder. Maybe with the cooler weather I'll be more motivated (sorry for the tangent; this topic is fraught for a lot of people!).
0 Replies