Recommend good HBO series?

patiodog

Fri 11 Jan, 2008 06:41 am
Yes, we remember: you're just drawn that way.
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 11 Jan, 2008 07:02 am
patiodog wrote:
Yes, we remember: you're just drawn that way.

:wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Mon 10 Mar, 2008 12:12 am
Started watching "Deadwood".....(fabulous) and "Extras"...(fabulous in a different way)

Keep 'em coming!!!!!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:12 pm
In Treatment featuring the lovely pouty lipped "Laura"

http://www.scaryminds.com/eyecandy/MelissaGeorge.jpg

played by Melissa George
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:54 pm
HBO is currently presenting a mini-series called "Generation Kill". It follows a group of Marines through the invasion of Iraq. It's a documentary-lookalike. It's based on an real story by an embedded reporter, looks very realistic, but it's played by actors.

Depressing, but very good.
0 Replies

caribou

Tue 12 Aug, 2008 09:08 pm
Generation Kill is done by Dave Simon and Ed Burns.

Gotta love Dave Simon for The Corner and The Wire, ...and bringing work to Baltimore....
Hope he comes back some day.

Oh, and Homicide, can't forget that one.
0 Replies

patiodog

Tue 12 Aug, 2008 09:35 pm
And of course there's Flight of the Conchords now. ******* genius.
0 Replies

dlowan

Wed 13 Aug, 2008 01:28 am
Duly noted folks, and thankee.

Keep those cards and letters coming in....
0 Replies

McTag

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 04:16 am
I have just got the first series of "The Wire" since it's mentioned and recommended a lot in the meeja, but I haven't looked at it yet.

What do you think of it?
dlowan

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 04:19 am
@McTag,
LOVED it!
0 Replies

sublime1

Sun 7 Sep, 2008 10:28 am
Not HBO but Showtime had a good series called Sleeper Cell. A Muslim FBI agent infiltrates a terrorist cell as they plan an attack.
dlowan

Sun 22 Mar, 2009 06:58 am
@sublime1,
So...I looked at "Rome" as suggested here...fell in love...AND NOW DISCOVER IT WAS CANCELLED AFTER TWO SERIES!!!

I am just about to watch the last episode of series 2.

Really classy soap opera.

Anyone got anything new for me???
Thomas

Mon 23 Mar, 2009 04:02 pm
@dlowan,
Well, I won't recommend Showtime's Californication to you. You already recommended it to me -- and I'm glad you did.

HBO's Big Love inherited The Sopranos' slot after their termination. It follows the Bill Hendrickson, entrepreneur and fundamentalist Mormon, through his live with his huge polygamist family. (Hence the "big" in "Big Love".) It caught my attention through an enthusiastic review on NPR. I watched a few episodes, liked the acting, but didn't catch on to the story yet. I probably lack too much background provided in the first three seasons. Starting from scratch, you wouldn't have this problem.

I like Showtime's Secret Diary of a Callgirl, now in its second season. It's funny, naughty (duh!), but never vulgar.

Did you catch Flight of the Conchords? I got infected when our dagmaraka declared she was in love with it. The series is about a band of two musicians from New Zealand trying to make it in New York. They have a groupie (singular!) and a manager, who in is day job is New Zealand's consul in New York and is the butt of mean jokes from his colleagues at the Australian consulate, who share an office suite with him.
dlowan

Mon 23 Mar, 2009 04:04 pm
@Thomas,
I've watched Big Love.....seen a bit of Flight opf the Conchords..it's been on late here. It's hilarious.
farmerman

Tue 24 Mar, 2009 02:27 pm
@dlowan,
I believe that "The Number One Ladie's Detective Agency" is going to be run as a series on HBO starting this weekend. Its based on the Alexander McAul Smith series of books about a detective agency run by this "traditionally built" chick in Botswana.
The books were cute and quick reads. Kinda enjoyable too. Dont know anything about the series.
dlowan

Tue 24 Mar, 2009 02:54 pm
@farmerman,
Cool!

I have read one of them, and found it too insubstantial, really, to bother reading more.

They'd be great, I think, on TV though.
patiodog

Tue 24 Mar, 2009 05:45 pm
@dlowan,
It's not HBO/Shotime, but I've been totally sucked into Breaking Bad during it's season-plus on the air.

It's about an underemployed high school chemistry teacher who gets diagnosed with cancer and starts cooking meth so he won't leave his family broke. Nice mix of dark comedy, crime drama, and outright human pathos. Got a little corny for a while, but has been very interesting the last couple of weeks...
dlowan

Tue 24 Mar, 2009 06:59 pm
@patiodog,
I just heard about that!!!

You're cool...I was wondering.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Tue 24 Mar, 2009 07:43 pm
True Blood!!! Great!!!!
dlowan

Tue 24 Mar, 2009 09:42 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,