26

Recommend good HBO series?

McTag

2  
Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:02 am
@dlowan,

Shameless?I think there's an American version of this drama series out now.
The British one is fairly disgusting (to sensitive souls like me.)

This link may not be of too much help, licencing difficulties and all that.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/shameless
Thomas

3  
Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 08:06 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Can't you see how silly it is to level such a criticism? The complaint is that a certain television venue in the United States is (quote) "inhibited" because they don't show something produced by another television venue in the United States.

No. Terrestrial TV stations in the US are inhibited because the FCC inhibits them. The stations themselves do not wish to sanitize the language of what they're broadcasting.

For a recent demonstration, consider the case of Fox v. FCC. Someone said "****" during an awards ceremony. Fox broadcast the ceremony live and didn't get around to bleeping out the expletive. The FCC fined Fox. Fox sued the FCC, charging that the FCC was acting arbitrary and capricious under the Administrative Procedure Act. (They lost.) On remand, the appeals court for the Second Circuit decided that the FCC's regulations chill free speech through unconstitutional vagueness (PDF). The Supreme Court is reviewing this decision now.

From here I could digress into a full lecture, but I think I've made my point: There is no need for us to speculate that terrestrial TV is inhibited in the United States. We know that it is, because we can observe the FCC inhibiting it. Cable TV, by contrast, is not subject to these inhibitions, and consequently is free to keep the expletives in.

Setanta wrote:
In fact, i would suggest to you that other television systems simply don't serve that segment of their potential audience who don't want profanity, nudity or sexually suggestive content.

I duly note your suggestion, but dismiss it for two reasons. The first reason is the FCC's regulatory regime I just mentioned. It explains broadcasters' behavior all by itself. My second reason is that Germany has both public and private TV. Both are subject to the same regulations, which are permissive by American standards. You can see people swear equally freely in both kinds of channels. This suggests to me that any pressure from advertisers is minimal in this regard.
Thomas

2  
Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 09:16 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
What's "Shameless"?

Shameless is a Showtime comedy series about a poor family in Chicago. The family father is permanently drunk, lives on various variants of welfare fraud, and is basically an asshole. His seven children find various ways of getting by. Personally, I'm finding the series funny enough. I'm somewhat annoyed, though, about the way it portrays poor people as free riders having a blast at everybody else''s expense. Through Roberta, I have learned quite a lot about the New York welfare system---which supposedly is more generous than those in most other places in the US. The system has many problems, no doubt, but I don't think overgenerosity to cheats is one of them.
dlowan

1  
Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 10:29 pm
@McTag,
Oh....I know the series you mean now. I haven't watched but I heard it was great. I didn't know the US had made a version.

dlowan

1  
Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 10:33 pm
@Thomas,
Must look out for it.
dlowan

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 01:05 am
@dlowan,
What about Canadia? There must be great shows made there. Anyone know of good ones?

msolga

2  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 01:28 am
I'm still watching The Sopranos, I missed it first time around. Season 4 has just finished, and Season 5 starts on Wednesday.

Izzy, you're the last cab off the rank with the Sopranos, I'm certain.

Please let us know when you've reached the last episode.

I am dying to discus that episode!

But you will only find out why later.

I will say no more..
dlowan

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 02:00 am
@msolga,
We could discuss it with grave warnings for izzie not to look?
msolga

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 02:02 am
@dlowan,
Oh, I don't think he'd like that at all, deb! Wink
dlowan

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 02:32 am
@msolga,
Um......so what? Is Izzy a he? Can't s/h ebe disciplined and manage its curiosity?
msolga

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 02:46 am
@dlowan,
Izzy is indeed a "he".

I don't know what the niceties of this situation require, to tell the truth, Deb.

What do you say, Izzy?

Can you cope with such a discussion?

Me, I'm kinda ferocious to discuss the end scene! Wink
msolga

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 02:49 am
@msolga,
But only if a few others want to discuss it, too ....

Obviously.
dlowan

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 02:51 am
@msolga,
i do!
msolga

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 03:19 am
@dlowan,
Me, too.

That ending .... I need to compare notes.

But I would feel a whole lot better about doing so with Izzy's blessing.

And that might take a few days ... this weekend he is launching a new book of his own.

But could I ask, are there others here who would like to discuss the ending of the Sopranos (with Izzy's blessing)?

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 03:54 am
@msolga,
You can discuss it, but let me know by writing spoiler or something in big letters. I'm too mean to buy the CDs, as it's trundling on nicely. I know Steve Buscemi is introduced next episode. I also know, through watching Family Guy, that the last episode ends mid-sentence. That's about it. I'm nervous about tomorrow as well.
msolga

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 04:29 am
No need to be nervous, Izzy.
You'll be terrific tomorrow! Smile

And we'll soon see if there's enough interest in discussing the end of the Sopranos here or not.
Maybe yes, maybe no.
But if it does happen, there'll be big spoiler warning messages to pre-warn you, OK?

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 04:38 am
@msolga,
Thanks for that, the kind words and the warnings. It's much appreciated.
msolga

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 04:45 am
My pleasure, izzy.
The "kind words" part, I mean. Smile

Setanta

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 04:48 am
@Thomas,
In the first place, the Supremes long ago set a line about community standards, which will undoubtedly be the determining factor in Fox's continued appeal. But you're ignoring a point i'd already made which is that what is "inhibited" in one venue is actually produced in another venue, both of them a part of the American television production system. As i've alreay pointed out, this is neither an inferior or a superior system, it's just a different system.

It may well be that "permissiveness" is greater in Gemany. But so what? That does not constitute evidence that there is no segment of the German television viewing population which does deplore the situation. And, once again, even it that were established, it would only be evidence that the two situations were different, not that one or the other is better or worse. About the only reasonable adjective would be preferable.

My overall complaint, though, is the constant niggling drum beat of criticisms, all of which seem to be predicated on a condescending attitude toward these differences. Maybe we just got the lion's share of religiously motivated people from the old world. Certainly, the Moravians, the Mennonites and several other religiously extremist groups found the North American colonies attractive from as early as the late 17th century. (In particular, Pennsylvania, which was arguably the most religiously tolerant place in the European world then, except perhaps for Holland, which nevertheless imposed heavy limitations on Catholics.)

Whatever the reasons may be, this kind of social conservatism finds a home in the United States. Without being able to show that this is harmful to society, it's silly to sneer at it simply because it's different. Beside that, it's the little things that rankle. When people from countries with Westminster-style parliamentary systems have a rant about the Electoral College, i don't get to terribly upset--many, perhaps most, Americans don't understand its origin, nor its function--and a function which i personally consider to be useful and am glad to see continuing. In fact, i rather laugh at comments about how "undemocratic" the EC is, from nations where the chief executive is elected by a few thousand people in a single electoral district. Leaving aside that nothing in the constitution guarantees a democratic system, how is the Westminster or any similar system more "democratic" when the chief executive is chosen by a method wihtout a shred of democratic credential to cover its nakedness? No, there's just times when the constant petty carping gets tedious enough to elicit a response, and this was one of those.

1  
Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 05:22 am
@Setanta,
We do know when we vote for our MPs, who the respective party leaders are. The vote is as much for the party as the individual. Not only do we know who the leader is, we also know who all the other prominent figures are as well, Health, Defence, Education etc. So there's no surprises when the leader takes a couple of months off to figure out who will be in his cabinet.