Fox Sues Humorist Al Franken Over Slogan

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:49 pm
Re O'Reilly: Anyone who thinks that the ACLU is the most dangerous organization in the America can't really be taken seriously, can he?

Maybe his whole schtick is a big spoof, in which case I'd actually admire him...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 08:27 am
Franken can laugh all the way to the bank.

You literally couldn't buy book publicity like this.

I know conservatives are dumb, O'Reilly is dumber, and FOX corporate bureaucrats are dumberer, but this episode was so idiotic I just have to wonder if Fox doesn't have a hidden business interest in Penguin Books.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 01:47 pm
Sounds like the judge practically laughed Fox's legal team out of the courthouse. Could we be seeing the first cracks in the Murdoch Empire? Stay tuned...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 03:23 pm
Quote:

In Courtroom, Laughter at Fox and a Victory for Al Franken
By SUSAN SAULNY

A federal judge in Manhattan told Fox News yesterday that it had to learn how to take a joke. Then he rejected the network's request for an injunction to block the satirist Al Franken from using the words "fair and balanced" on the cover of his book, "Lies, and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right."

Calling the motion "wholly without merit, both factually and legally," the judge, Denny Chin of United States District Court, said that a person would have to be "completely dense" not to realize the cover was a joke, and that trademark protection for the phrase "Fair and Balanced" was unrealistic because the words are so commonly used.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/23/nyregion/23FRAN.html

I just had to put the words in - "completely dense".

I believe this problem is much deeper - much more widespread and profound!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 03:40 pm
CodeBorg wrote:
It's a publicity stunt for both parties involved.

A portion of our minds now belong to them.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:50 pm
One is a news organization with a credibility problem, the other is a satirist underscoring a credibility problem. Gee, ....................
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 07:56 pm
Here's an excerpt of "Lies"; the full excerpt is at this MSNBC link:

Quote:
GOD CHOSE ME to write this book.

Just the fact that you are reading this is proof not just of God's existence, but also of His/Her/Its beneficence. That's right. I am not certain of God's precise gender. But I am certain that He/She/It chose me to write this book.
This isn't hubris. I'm not saying this in an egotistical way. God didn't choose me because I'm the greatest writer who ever lived. That was William Shakespeare, whose work I have a passing familiarity with. No. I just happened to be the right vessel at the right time. If something in this book makes you laugh, it was God's joke. If something makes you think, it's because God had a good point to make.

The reason I know God chose me is because God spoke to me personally.
God began our conversation by clearing something up. Some of George W. Bush's friends say that Bush believes God called him to be president during these times of trial. But God told me that He/She/It had actually chosen Al Gore by making sure that Gore won the popular vote and, God thought, the electoral college. "THAT WORKED FOR EVERYONE ELSE," God said.
"What about Tilden?" I asked, referring to the 1876 debacle.
"QUIET!" God snapped. God was angry.
God said that after 9/11, George W. Bush squandered a unique moment of national unity. That instead of rallying the country around a program of mutual purpose and sacrifice, Bush cynically used the tragedy to solidify his political power and pursue an agenda that panders to his base and serves the interests of his corporate backers.
God told me that Bush squandered a $4.6 trillion surplus and is plunging us into deficits as far as God can see. And that Bush squandered another surplus. The surplus of goodwill from the rest of the world that he had inherited from Bill Clinton.
And this was pissing God off.
He/She/It was right. But it sounded like a lot of work.
"Look, God, I'm flattered, but I think you got the wrong guy. The kind of book you're talking about would require months of research."
And God said, "LET THERE BE GOOGLE. AND LET THERE BE LEXISNEXIS."
"Very funny, God. I use Google all the time."
"YES, I KNOW," God said. "FOR HOT ASIAN TEENS."
"You must be thinking of my son, Joe."
"AL? I'M OMNISCIENT."
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 01:32 am
Thank God!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 12:06 pm
"I have a suggestion for a new slogan for Fox News, drawn from Judge Chin's decision: Wholly Without Merit."

- Joe Conason (interview on WBAI FM NYC)

http://www.mediawhoresonline.net/whollypng.png
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 12:09 pm
BTW, for those of you near a television this afternoon, do not miss Joe Conason (author of "Big Lies") who will be on CNN's "Crossfire" today, 4:30 p.m. Eastern, 3:30 Central.

Al Franken sits in to co-host from the left.

Schmucker Carlson and Bob NoFacts may as well call in sick... :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 03:26 pm
Fox News Drops Lawsuit Against Al Franken
washingtonpost.com
Fox News Drops Lawsuit Against Al Franken
The Associated Press
Monday, August 25, 2003; 4:56 PM

NEW YORK - Fox News dropped its lawsuit against Al Franken on Monday, three days after a federal judge refused to block the liberal humorist from using the Fox slogan "Fair and Balanced" on the cover of his latest book.

Fox said it filed papers in federal court to withdraw the suit, which sought unspecified damages from Franken and Penguin Group, publisher of "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right."

"It's time to return Al Franken to the obscurity that he's normally accustomed to," Fox News spokeswoman Irena Steffen said.

On Friday, U.S. District Judge Denny Chin denied Fox's request for an injunction against the book cover.

Fox trademarked "Fair and Balanced" in 1998.

A call to Floyd Abrams, the lawyer who represented Franken and the publisher in the case, was not immediately returned.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 04:08 pm
Fox only wishes Franken were obscure. Fact is, he wasn't before this lawsuit, and he certainly isn't now!
0 Replies