Fox Sues Humorist Al Franken Over Slogan

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 12:44 pm
There's a great cafeteria near my office (near downtown Seattle) that serves home-made meat loaf sandwiches on real bread. Yum...

Now, where were we....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 12:52 pm
At the diner . . . can we get some sammiches to go?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 01:07 pm
You bet, and I often do. Your order, sir?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 02:18 pm
Not zuchinni, fettucini or bulghar wheat
But a big warm bun and a huge hunk of meat. . .
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 02:29 pm
Bill, replace the breadcrumbs with soy protein powder and you can eat your meatloaf.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 04:18 pm
Mmm food!

Maybe the cafeteria at the House of Representatives
can starting serving "Liar Toast" and "Liar Fries".

They are what they eat, you know,
even if it's their own words.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 07:42 pm
And chicken hawk stew!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 08:30 pm
Cheezits, just eat less bread, not no bread. Or a meatloaf sammich on one slice of really good sigh heathbread... which reminds me, IIIIIIIIIIIIIII put a recipe into the meatloaf thread here recently, did you, did you??
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 12:33 pm
What's wrong with this picture?

http://www.blah3.com/images/7606.jpg

It's a good thing they haven't trade-marked the phrase "honest and accurate"...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 02:47 pm
Jeez, is that really a photo from their site? That's, for lack of a better word, remarkable...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 02:54 pm
PDiddie, you wouldn't happen to have a link for that would ya?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 03:24 pm
http://www.foxnews.com.edgesuite.net/projects/photo_essay2/blackout/photos/blackout_nyc_sunset.jpg
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 03:25 pm
Just got to Fox News online. As you see, they changed the picture
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 03:41 pm
Youi know FOX...letting reality interfere with their worldview just isn't done. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 04:08 pm
Gracious sakes, hobit - you mean they're not real? And, a while ago, weren't they accused of stealing photos from another source?

Starkadders?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 04:35 pm
A screen capture is pretty easy to doctor up, that's why I was asking for a link to see it for myself. I'll take you folks' word for it that it was genuine and not yet another internet hoax.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 04:51 pm
Butr:

Looks like others stepped in and took care of your request, so I'll simply leave it at "someone at Fox was either in a hurry or just plain stupid, and someone else caught their error".

This is NOT the kind of error a reputable news agency makes (which involves taking a two-year-old stock photo out of the file instead of sending someone out to take a real-time picture).
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 04:54 pm
PDiddie wrote:

This is NOT the kind of error a reputable news agency makes

We aren't talking about a reputable news agency, we are talking about FOX.
Laughing
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 05:02 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Butr:

Looks like others stepped in and took care of your request, so I'll simply leave it at "someone at Fox was either in a hurry or just plain stupid, and someone else caught their error".

This is NOT the kind of error a reputable news agency makes (which involves taking a two-year-old stock photo out of the file instead of sending someone out to take a real-time picture).

I agree, PDiddie, that's why I was wanting to reassure myself that it wasn't yet another doctored up photo/internet hoax. The supposed satelite photos of the space shuttle breaking up over Texas comes to mind. They turned out to be doctored photos from Star Wars.

I traced back the link from where you posted the photo to the weblog and several other places people had copied it from but couldn't find a place of origin stating "I made this screen capture." since someone obviously took the time to edit it and draw the red circle around the buildings.

It just makes me a bit suspicious.... I'm cynical, so sue me. Wink
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 05:50 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
The supposed satelite photos of the space shuttle breaking up over Texas comes to mind. They turned out to be doctored photos from Star Wars.

Shocked First I've heard of this...

(Should you retain linkage, I'd be interested in looking. Don't go re-searching. And you can PM it, rather than digressing the thread.)

Meanwhile, Joe Conason writes:

Quote:
Aug. 15 was Fair and Balanced Day by freedom-loving bloggers everywhere, in response to the morally unfair and mentally unbalanced nuisance lawsuit brought by Fox News against Al Franken and his publisher. (Even the Wall Street Journal editorial page, print edition, is mocking Rupert Murdoch's lackeys for behaving like fools.)

Joe Conason's Journal
0 Replies