Fox Sues Humorist Al Franken Over Slogan

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 05:58 pm
Oops, wrong movie, it was Armageddon not Star Wars, but here's the link to the Snopes hoax article.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/shuttle2.asp

Here's one of the hoax photos

http://www.snopes.com/photos/small/explode1_small.jpg
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 10:35 pm
The picture they ran with was another stock photo. Fox is simply not up there with some top names.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:13 am
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 10:52 am
Pdid, that avatar is just YOU. Gotta love it.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 11:05 am
Yes, cj, I'm loving it, too.

I'm going to go back to the Twin Towers shortly to mark the second anniversary of 9/11, but for now will prop Al and his book.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 11:26 am
Joke of the day:

Quote:
"Bill O'Reilly Lashes Out at Haters of Fox News Channel"

Posted by Marv Essary
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Al Franken has tried to sell his books by making references to conservatives (Rush Limbaugh) or copyrighted conservative slogans (Fox News' ''fair and balanced'') in his titles. And Al Franken may have other motives for his tacky titles. Bill O'Reilly has his say about Franken's tasteless technique in this report by Carl Limbacher and staff of NewsMax, which is reprinted by permission.

NEWSMAX.COM - Calling a political activist such as Al Franken a satirist, as did the New York Times, is a ''sick joke,'' says Fox News' top-rated news analyst Bill O'Reilly.

Writing in an op-ed piece in the New York Daily News, O'Reilly charges: ''Attempting to smear and destroy the reputations of those with whom you politically disagree is not satire. If that were the case, Richard Nixon's Watergate plumbers would all be writing for 'Saturday Night Live.' ''

Noting that Fox News Channel would soon celebrate its seventh birthday ''awash in publicity and success,'' O'Reilly observes: ''From virtually nothing, the organization that employs me has risen up to become one of the most powerful news agencies in the country. This is a stunning achievement, but it's also one that has engendered bitterness and controversy.''

The claim that FNC is conservative is ''propaganda,'' he says, a fact proven by many polls that show that the network's audience is ''across the board, ideologically and demographically. The latest survey taken by Mediamark Research finds that more ultraconservative viewers watch CNN than Fox.''

Such facts, however, do not matter to ''Fox haters,'' who are themselves ''primarily ultraliberal,'' he writes. FNC's ''dominance in the cable news world has shattered the stranglehold the left had on TV news for decades.'' This ''has caused fear and loathing in some political circles.''

''If Fox News crashed and burned tomorrow, these people would toast marshmallows in the flames,'' he charges.

FNC is striking back by putting ''the demonizers on notice that they will be held responsible when they violate trademarks or launch defamatory personal attacks on Fox personnel.''

He notes that the ''poo-bahs at The Times know what a smear campaign is, but apparently, if it's directed at an enterprise the paper disapproves of, it's okay. I wonder how The Times' editorialists would react if their faces graced a book cover accompanied by the word 'liar.' Oh, right, they'd consider it satire.''

http://www.chronwatch.com/editorial/contentDisplay.asp?aid=3930

O'Really and Limpbag are such humorist - they should change Fox's motto to "The Comedy Channel"
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 12:18 pm
It's interesting the extent to which the powers-that-be at Fox persist in deflecting the accusation that they are conservative. The other night I surfed into Fox for a bit and heard another commentator, not O'Reilly bash the ACLU. It was O'Reilly, of course, who called the ACLU "the most dangerous organization in American" recently.

I rarely watch Fox, yet I heard both mentions. What gives?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 02:12 pm
I am leading the effort to get my gym to switch from CNN to FOX. CNN sucks.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 02:35 pm
cj:

Why don't you strike a balance and have them change the channel to MSGOP? :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 02:37 pm
Did you see the head of the California Democratic party on Fox yesterday? What an ass.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 02:43 pm
No, but I did see the unPresident for a second yesterday (longest consecutive time period I can stand) - What a stupid jerk!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 02:48 pm
There's always the Cartoon Channel...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 02:51 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Did you see the head of the California Democratic party on Fox yesterday? What an ass.

That wasn't his head, cj. Cool
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:27 pm
Now, for the Fair and Balanced News Update:

Quote:
A federal judge on Friday denied Fox News Channel's request for an injunction to block liberal humorist Al Franken's new book, whose title mocks the Fox slogan "fair and balanced." U.S. District Judge Denny Chin said

Fox's claim was "wholly without merit, both factually and legally."

Fox Blocked
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:29 pm
Curses! Foiled again!

Heh, heh...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:32 pm
Maybe Fox should copyright "wholly without merit, both factually and legally." It actually more accurately describes their methodology Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:36 pm
I respectfully disagree. Franken is a jackass who thinks himself a satirist.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:38 pm
That's very nice cjhsa, thanks Smile - opinions can differ Exclamation

I believe the same can be said of Limbaugh, O'Reilly, etc---->
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:41 pm
I don't listen to Limbaugh. I do like O'Reilly though. He also seems willing to back down and even apologize when he's wrong.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:44 pm
Especially when Al Franken whips his ass publicly. :wink:

Twice. Cool
0 Replies