SECOND A2K STRAW POLL White House 2008

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 02:00 pm
In March this year, A2K had its VERY OWN FIRST STRAW POLL on the presidential elections of 2008.

At that time, we had about a year to go before we'll all know who the Democratic and Republican presidential nominees will be.

At the time, I said, "that means we could have three straw polls: one now, one in September, and one next February, if there's still much to choose between by then. [..] It'd be interesting to see if there are any shifts over time."

In the past half a year, new developments have indeed made their mark on the election race. John McCain ran out of money, and only now seems to be getting a new chance. Bill Richardson and Fred Thompson joined the race, one early on, the other only just now. It's become almost entirely sure that Gingrich and Gore will not run. Huckabee modestly broke out from the Republican field's second tier.

Almost as striking is what has not changed. Despite the heavily overcrowded race, only two candidates - Gilmore and Tommy Thompson - have dropped out. Giuliani is still at the top of the Republican field in the polls, though nothing like as convincingly anymore. Hillary is firmly entrenched at the top of the Democrats' polls, with both Obama and Edwards seemingly stuck in their respective positions. A speculated on third party Bloomberg run has not emerged.

And what about you? How has your opinion changed, if it has? Were you undecided then, and have you decided by now? Are you sticking with your guy (or gal)? Did you switch preferences?

Ladies and gentlemen - once again - your votes, please.

Of course, feel free to post to specify or explain your choice (though please refrain from any to-and-fro and ragging on each others' choices!). Especially if you vote for one of the 'smaller' candidates, it would be cool if you could specify.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 10,623 • Replies: 244
No top replies

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 02:03 pm
FYI, the first straw poll ran roughly from March to May 2007, and these were the results:

Code:
Republican - Rudy Giuliani 6% [ 5 ]

Republican - John McCain 7% [ 6 ]

Republican - Mitt Romney 3% [ 3 ]

Republican - Newt Gingrich (currently not running) 6% [ 5 ]

Republican - Other 8% [ 7 ]
(Brownback, Huckabee, Tancredo, Tommy Thompson, Hunter, Paul, Gilmore, Cox; Undeclared: Fred Thompson, Hagel, Pataki, Bloomberg, Rice, etc)

---

Democratic - Hillary Clinton 13% [ 11 ]

Democratic - Barack Obama 30% [ 24 ]

Democratic - John Edwards 10% [ 8 ]

Democratic - Al Gore (currently not running) 6% [ 5 ]

Democratic - Other 7% [ 6 ]
(Biden, Dodd, Kucinich, Gravel; Undeclared: Richardson, Clark, Sharpton, etc)

---

Total Votes : [ 80 ]

0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 02:12 pm
How does one, go about voting? Where in this forum, does one, click to vote? Thanks in advance. Cool
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 02:14 pm
teenyboone wrote:
How does one, go about voting? Where in this forum, does one, click to vote? Thanks in advance. Cool

Never mind. Voted!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 02:20 pm
Democratic -- Obama. I'm not a devotee like Sozobe and Butrflynet, but I like him best, with Edwards a close runner-up.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 03:02 pm
Thomas wrote:
I'm not a devotee like Sozobe

The devotee voted as expected. Edwards is a close runner-up for me as well though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 03:04 pm
I have to review what all the dems have said about Iran, then I'll be back.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 03:28 pm
Thomas wrote:
Democratic -- Obama. I'm not a devotee like Sozobe and Butrflynet, but I like him best, with Edwards a close runner-up.

Edwards is my 2nd choice also. They ALL look pretty good, but I'd love to see a woman, but not her. Not a Hillary hater, because she's very smart, but she need to get a handle on her handlers, because the contributions made by a criminal, should have her smarting! Doesn't look good and the Repugs will hammer her, for it.

THEY want her as an opponent, to beat her husband up, some more! While the Republicans Domino Theory takes hold, 1 after the other are falling due, to scandal after scandal, their denial of homophobia, while quite a few have "fallen" out of the closet, their penchant for prostitutes; see Vitter, affairs; see Gingrich, love little girls; see Thompson whose married to a woman, who could be his DAUGHTER!

Bad lawyers, see Gonzalez and Libby! A Black Man gets fined out of the NFL for dog killing, while Cheney, goes off to a "planned" hunt and shoots his ?friend? and is in the company of 2 women who AREN'T their wives! State Senatator Craig, knows the "language" of how to have sex in the bathroom, with another man and gets arrested, while he protests, "I am not Gay"!

Just some observations, on a group that runs for political office, based on "family values", whatever THEY are! Embarrassed
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 03:29 pm
Thank you one and all!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 04:11 pm
no explanation needed I presume. (Edwards 2nd)
Kucinich Iraq platform;
Quote:
In consultation with senior UN advisors with expertise in international peace-keeping and security missions, military experts, and principals of the international political community, Dennis Kucinich has crafted HR 1234, the plan that will end the occupation, close the bases, bring the troops home, make Halliburton and all contractors come home, and stabilize Iraq with an international peace-keeping and security force.

HR 1234 will restore Iraq's sovereignty over its oil, control its food and energy prices, and protect its financial integrity by ensuring Iraq will not be the target of World Bank and IMF structural adjustment policies.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 04:33 pm
Why may I ask, is the US House proposing a bill, to give back Iraq's Oil? Did I miss something? Didn't know we HAD it and if we do, WHY is gas so high? Yeah, refineries, scarce and Who has control over another country's oil? Us? Alan Greenspan, certainly think so!

dyslexia wrote:
no explanation needed I presume. (Edwards 2nd)
Kucinich Iraq platform;
Quote:
In consultation with senior UN advisors with expertise in international peace-keeping and security missions, military experts, and principals of the international political community, Dennis Kucinich has crafted HR 1234, the plan that will end the occupation, close the bases, bring the troops home, make Halliburton and all contractors come home, and stabilize Iraq with an international peace-keeping and security force.

HR 1234 will restore Iraq's sovereignty over its oil, control its food and energy prices, and protect its financial integrity by ensuring Iraq will not be the target of World Bank and IMF structural adjustment policies.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 05:04 pm
It appears I have, over the last two or three months, come to the opinion that America will be best served with Hilary as Pres and Barack as Vice.

I believe it a near certainty that the Dems will take the WH and increase power in congress and senate regardless of who ends up in the final ticket. I do not believe that a Hilary candidacy, under these present circumstances, will drive many republicans, who would otherwise not vote, to the polls...those folks will go anyways. Nor do I expect her candidacy will keep many dems or unaligned folks away...the desire for change looks too deep and persistent.

My assumption is that Hilary will be a more competent president in the coming period. I doubt the difference is large but, particularly with her husband's various talents and knowledge, I see her as the best bet.

But Obama also brings so much that is positive to the picture, in terms of voter turnout (I presume), and in terms of a really talented and inspiring young man. And, after four or eight years as vice, won't he be a promising candidate then.

And, I want a woman there. And, I want an african american there. My wished-for ticket gets me an amazing number of positives, at least in my noggin.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 05:23 pm
I like your ticket, Blatham, re winning, however much folks who may be correct say it won't happen. But in the primary I hope to vote for who reps my thinking. I am probably agreeing with Dys, re Kucinich, but need to look closer at Obama - whom I see as too get-along, while I still respect him, even in the morning light. Hillary's opinions and mine only have crossed occasionally, but much more often than mine with the present administration.

The main thing I have to do is re-register. I went independent for a bit when I had just moved to New Mexico from California, since I was near as sick of the dems as the reps. I'm over that episode.

So, my vote for the primary will be Kucinich or Obama or Edwards - back on review. Wish there was some handy dandy matrix.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 05:32 pm
The trouble with my thinking, of course, is that if I vote for Kucinich, I don't alter by any micron what could happen re Hillary and Obama. So, obviously, I am wanting to see what Obama and Edwards have said about Iran, a task I'll undertake in a bit. I'm not optimistic, but y'never know.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 06:29 pm
At the moment,I would have to say "none of the above" to ALL the candidates.
There are still to many voices in the choir to understand the song.

In other words,I am going to wait till some of the 2nd and 3rd tier candidates drop out so I can get a better idea of what the candidates are saying.

For the record,and I have said this before, my choice would have been Evan Bayh (D-IN).
But,he unfortunately decided not to run.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 07:50 pm
Thanks all! Seems like a pattern is emerging that's slightly different from last time round.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 05:24 am
And.. a new day, do we have any new votes? Smile
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 06:42 am
Quote:
And, I want a woman there. And, I want an african american there. My wished-for ticket gets me an amazing number of positives, at least in my noggin.

So you will vote for Hillary and Obama because of the fact that one is a woman and one is african american?

If that is your only criteria, or one of them, you dont seem be thinking it through.

I dont mind a woman president,but it has to be the right woman.
One with the experience AND the qualifications to be Pesident

I dont believe Hillary fits that description.
She has very little experience,she has accomplished almost nothing on her own, and if she wasnt named Clinton I seriously doubt that anyone would be considering her for any elected office.

Obama is less then 3 years away from the state senate.
What experience does he have?

If all you want is a woman and an african american, then why not Condi Rice?
You get everything in one package.

Or,why not Bill Cosby and Rosie Odonnell?
THat ticket would fit your bill also.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 08:32 am
nimh wrote:
And.. a new day, do we have any new votes? Smile

Obama but I expect that Clinton will be nominated and elected President.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 08:34 am
MM
Nah, that's not the way I evaluate these things. If, for example, Hadassah Lieberman finally admitted to being a lesbian, then I'd want her as a third person on the ticket. Unless she has an Exxon oil tanker named in her honor.
0 Replies