Surgery--Again

ddlowan

Reply Mon 7 May, 2018 10:30 pm
@Roberta,
Sorry to hear that...that you have been so unwell.

I hope the pain, at least, is better?

Mine fight to be under my right arm! I have no idea what it is about the right armpit that is more attractive than the left, but there it is.

In the end, Viola always wins. If necessary, she will sit on Sebastian until he gets exasperated and moves.

So Miranda was an armpit cat too?

Viola snuggles under there luxuriously....sometimes she reaches up to kiss, sometimes a little paw reaches up to pat my face. Often she trills and chirrups to me. I have to be careful not to get her too worked up or she will leap up and begin to lick my nose in a determined, and abrasive, way.

No visiting dog at present?

I hesitate to mention such a thing, but did you know that they make little stuffed animals that breathe and wiggle and look at you soulfully? I know it's no replacement, but given your breathing......
ddlowan

Reply Tue 8 May, 2018 01:23 am
@ddlowan,
Boida....posted this on Friday (Thursday your time) on Facebook:

For those of you who know Dodi.
She’s doing that awful last weekend with a beloved cat thing that is so hard.
It never gets any easier, I think, no matter how often you do it.
I’ve been doing it for my animals since I was 14 and I swear it gets harder.
Vinnie Ching is goodness knows how old...I’ll have to check.
Now, I have always imagined that when a Dodi cat dies, the neighbourhood cats hold an anxious ballot to see who gets to mooch in and fill the post.
Vinnie already had a home but he was a wanderer. A very debonair chap, who looked very oriental...probably part Burmese.
I suspect he decided that he was on too good a thing and shifted allegiances.
These are people who are trained to get up at anytime of the morning to let the cat out. 3 am, 4 am, whatever, the cat’s wish is their command.
They paid a fortune for an expensive cat garden system of connected lodges. Vinnie didn’t like it. There it sits...all overgrown like Manderley.
Vinnie was like Kipling’s The Cat Who Walked Alone....only the occasional caress was permitted...he, like the butterflies, must be free.
In later years he came to love his daily brushing, delivered punctually before dinner. He began to spend more and more time snuggled near his adoring slaves. He spent more nights on the bed.
He remains shiny and beautiful to this day.
He is pretty much blind now, but the coup de grace is some kind of tumour in his bladder.
No more cats they say, but somewhere, I think, the cats of Campbelltown are gathering for a long awaited lottery....

Vinnie was euthanized yesterday....calm and wrapped in his favourite sheepskin.

he was 19
Roberta

Reply Tue 8 May, 2018 01:57 pm
@ddlowan,
deb, Tears are welled up in my eyes. Please tell Dodi I send heartfelt sympathy. I've been there. We've been there.
ddlowan

Reply Tue 8 May, 2018 06:46 pm
@Roberta,
I will, thank you.

But he had a great life!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 04:33 am
Remember when I was on the panel of the two presentations? The guy who ran the presentations is writing a book, and he decided to interview me for the book (the only one from the panels to be asked).

I don't know much about it, but that's hardly an obstacle for me. I'm gonna talk to him early this evening. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 02:57 pm
@Roberta,
Congrats!

Roberta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 05:01 pm
@Sturgis,
I just finished being interviewed. I think it went well. Let's face it. I can talk. I offer opinions freely.

I confess to being just a bit mystified. First I did a video for Bellevue Hospital. Then I was the patient representative at a news conference. Why? Dunno.

Then I did a video for my social services agency. And I was a panelist for two meetings it sponsored. Why? I asked. Still don't really know. One person said that I was very Noo Yawky???

Now an interview for a book. Why? I asked. Because I'm very real. Also I've experienced lots of ups and more recently many downs. I got through it. I guess that's what makes me real.

I honestly don't get it. Why me? What am I missing? To me, I'm just me. Yes, I'm smart and articulate. Lots of people are smart and articulate.
Ragman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 05:16 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
Lots of people are smart and articulate.
I wish that were more true (not just at Capitol Hill in DC).
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 06:08 pm
@Roberta,
All the best, I hope it goes smoothly!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 02:16 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I just finished being interviewed. I think it went well. Let's face it. I can talk. I offer opinions freely.
I honestly don't get it. Why me? What am I missing? To me, I'm just me. Yes, I'm smart and articulate. Lots of people are smart and articulate.

Lots of people are smart and articulate, true!!!!! But not enough people are smart, articulate and curious. Never forget you are special to us A2Kers.
Roberta

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 05:40 am
@glitterbag,
Thanks, glitter. I refer you to my signature line. I obviously don't see me the way others see me.
ddlowan

Reply Mon 28 May, 2018 08:03 pm
@Roberta,
You're a star!

That or a talking cheetah is amazing enough to bring them running!
Roberta

Reply Mon 28 May, 2018 10:23 pm
@ddlowan,
deb, Let 'em run. They ain't gonna catch a cheetah, talking or mute.

How you doin' kid?
Agent1741

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2018 07:35 pm
I still might have to have a knee replacement! I had shots in it & have had it "cleaned up" but after standing for nearly 3 hrs (U2 concert) it has been rough most of the week. I really hate the healthcare here (USA) they try to do as many tests etc as they can just to run up a big bill!!! If I was ever admitted I would be the patient from hell because I would not let them do that! As a former nurse I have a pretty good idea as to what is necessary & what is not!
0 Replies

ddlowan

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2018 07:43 pm
@Roberta,
Well, I am going down to .8 as an experiment. That means a four day week.

Starts Wednesday. I guess I will have to start trying to have a life!

On August 7th I can access my superannuation amount, which means I can (at present and hoping desperately that Trump's trade war doesn't trigger a new GFC) pay off my house and have some change.

With no mortgage, I can hope to pile up super and savings without having to work full time.

We shall see.

Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2018 04:14 am
@ddlowan,
I'm hoping this works out for you. You deserve some rest--and some money.
ddlowan

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2018 11:04 pm
@Roberta,
As do you!!!
ddlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 12:59 am
@ddlowan,
Oy! How are you?

Any news? Any dogs?

Any work?

Any kvetches or funny stories?
Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 01:06 am
@ddlowan,
No funny stories. no work. No dogs.

I've been sick. Now I'm dehydrated. I'm going to the hospital tomorrow.

Feh.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 01:47 am
@Roberta,
Dang Roberta, get better.
0 Replies