Surgery--Again

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:14 pm
@Roberta,
Well get to it then, so you can have the damn dog! Mush. But don't fall, ok?

Could it be time for a walking frame? People tend to hate the idea of them, but then find them useful.
Roberta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 01:03 am
@dlowan,
deb, If a walking frame is a walker, then I don't need one and wouldn't be able to use it in my apartment. There's no room. But thanks for the suggestion.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 10:17 am
@Roberta,
When I was an employee of an apartment complex, I started collecting up some of the help devices left behind when the elderly vacated. I brought home a walker, crutches, extended grabbers for picking up objects without bending, and other such stuff. Not because we need any of it, but because we are getting older. I even started building a wheelchair ramp - not because we need it to get inside, but so I can wheel heavy objects inside, rather than try to get them up five steps. We may not ever need this stuff, but, we are almost ready, just in case.
margo

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 12:48 pm
Holy ****! I take my eye of you for a minute - and look where you end up!

Feel gooder sooner!
Roberta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 03:01 am
@margo,
margo, Is it sooner yet? I ain't much gooder yet.

edgar, You are a man who likes to be prepared. Glad you have all that stuff in case you need it.
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 02:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
When I used to go to this golf course, I had one of those ramps built but sadly it really did nothing for my handicap.
dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 03:11 pm
@Roberta,
Any updates? Hope breathing, at least, is a bit easier?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 04:27 pm
@Ragman,
If you had an option to wheel a refrigerator up a ramp or stairs, I think you might opt for a ramp.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 04:56 pm
@Ragman,
When I used to play golf, my buddy always paid, so I always let him win.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 05:04 pm
@Roberta,
Thinking of you tomorrow, plus today. We are here...

On golf tangent, I once got a hole in one, having entirely missed hitting the ball I was aiming at just before that. I was thirteen or fourteen at the pitch and putt course attached to Rancho Park Golf Course (which had good tourneys/famous golfers). My father and uncle were nice re the complete miss. Not sure if my girl cousin was..
I particularly liked the Lemon Meringue Pie at the coffee shop.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 05:26 pm
@ossobucotemp,
That reminded me of my par game at a mini course in Sacramento. Gosh, that must've been at least 50 years ago.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 05:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This is tap tap tapping, while concerned.

To CI, my experience was circa 1955 or shortly later.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 05:48 pm
Robbie, do you have people helping you to get to the appointments? Especially in this winter weather?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 11:18 pm
Golf?! I'm schlepping around in single-digit temperatures, and you guys are talking about golf! Sigh.

deb, My breathing was better before I left the hospital. They wouldn't have let me leave if it wasn't better. It's not as good as it was before all this mishigos, but I can get around.

osso, I have Access-a-Ride--a low-cost car service for old folks and people who aren't all that mobile. I just hope they show up. I don't need anybody to go with me.

Golf???
margo

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 11:49 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Golf?! I'm schlepping around in single-digit temperatures, and you guys are talking about golf! Sigh.

Golf???

Golf!! A good walk spoiled. If you want the ball to go that way, just carry it, f'gudness sake!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 11:56 am
@Roberta,
There was a time many decades ago when I lived in Chicago, my buddy and I used to go play golf in the snow. His parents owned Honolulu Harry's Club Waikiki on Wilson Avenue and Nakanoya restaurant across from Lincoln Park.
Them were the "good ole days."
I met him in the USAF back in the late fifties, but he has since passed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 09:48 am
@Roberta,
How did your appointments go?????
Roberta

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 12:24 pm
@dlowan,
You had to ask. Access-a-Ride did not show up (the fourth time in a row). I had to take a cab, which I can't afford.

I got to the hospital on time for my 8 a.m. appointment. I waited an hour and was then told that the person who made the appointment for me made a mistake and make the appointment with the wrong clinic. There was no one there who could help me.

I made another appointment--and took the but (2 buses) home. Plus I had to walk three blocks. I had to stop a few times to breathe, but I made it.

A cab ($20), two buses, and three blocks for NOTHING. Easy-going person that I am, I was barely bothered. (Hah!)

I have two appointments this coming week (psychiatrist and neurology). I'm thinking about taking the bus (three buses) down and two back. Can't trust the car service.

Feh and phooey on the whole thing. I'm fed up.
Izzie

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:43 pm
@Roberta,
Damnit, just wiped my entire post out... here goes again!

Hey Boida, so sorry that things are kvetchworthy, and that stoopid folks can't even get your appointments sorted straight. Evil or Very Mad I hope that improves.

I totally get the falling down thing, I do it all the time and stumble around. Thankfully, my OT got me a walker (4 wheel with seat and bag) which, despite the indignity Rolling Eyes is so useful, especially in garden and for moving things around in the house when my hands don't work, plates, cuppa teas etc. There are times I have fallen and simply can't get up so I also have an alarm to go around my neck, for my neighbours (though Dad has that right now as his need is greater)... it's so loud I think the whole village would hear it... not that I know any of them as my hermit lifestyle is a tad precious and my walker hasn't been out the front door but that so works for me! Great neighbours though.

Anyhoo, the point of this was to say there are small three wheel walkers which fold easily and could be of great use to you for the walking blocks and to ease your breathing so you could stop and have a rest; they are lightweight and do fold so one can stand by the door, also useful to pull up on if you do go down. I know you don't have an NHS but is there any bod from hospital who could maybe sort one out for you, mebbe worth an ask. If not, I'm sure we can sort something out if you think it could work.

Not sure if link will work... but something like this which has a seat etc

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Rollator-handle-Brakes-Pouch/dp/B00GDDHLUU/ref=sr_1_70_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1484519457&sr=8-70&keywords=three+wheel+walker

Or one that folds flat but doesn't have a seat...
https://www.amazon.com/Walker-Wheel-Trio-Roller-Health/dp/B004MCLELQ/ref=pd_cp_121_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004MCLELQ&pd_rd_r=WY8NVG79A6HD4YM0F4DA&pd_rd_w=h614G&pd_rd_wg=4k44M&psc=1&refRID=WY8NVG79A6HD4YM0F4DA

Sorry if you already know this stuff, just wanted to say it's made a difference to me.

You're always in my thoughts and I'm sending you big hugs across the pond and wishing you wellness. Love love Boida xxxxx XOX x
Roberta

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 01:13 am
@Izzie,
Izzie querida, Always a treat to hear from you. I appreciate the concern and the advice. At this point I don't think I need a walker, and I DON"T want one. Sorry to yell.

Foist, I can't stand walking in the street without a free hand. A walker takes two. It's for this very reason that I don't use an umbrella. I wear a hat and walk with a cane.

Second, taking a walker on a city bus (even one that folds flat), is a pain in the ass. Especially on a crowded bus.

Thoid, I don't know what kind of palace you think I'm living in, but there is absolutely no room anywhere in this apartment for a walker--at least as long as I've got furniture.

I'm not concerned about the cost. I'm sure I'll be able to find a way. But not now. Not yet.

Sorry to hear that you fall down. I'm doing my best not to. I see a neurologist on Thursday. Is it my brain? Dunno. I also have an appointment with an ear doc and an eye doc.

Please take good care of you. I think about you and hope all is well.
0 Replies