Surgery--Again

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 04:51 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta,

A couple years ago when I had my tumor surgery I didn't have anyone to bring me home to my apartment from the hospital. The social services department of the hospital had an arrangement with a local taxi service for just such a situation and they made all the arrangements and even gave me a $20 discount on the taxi fare. The taxi people were oh so gentle and cautious about driving slowly with no abrupt movement and bumps. They had a bunch of pillows to help cushion my body for the ride and the driver even helped me up the stairs of my building.

See if there's anything like that available for you at the hospital.
Roberta

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:31 pm
Thanks for all for the good wishes. Thanks, butrflynet, for the advice. I have several possibilities of people who can get me out of the hospital, but I'll ask whether there's something that can be arranged by the hospital. It would be a whole lot easier.
littlek

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:37 pm
@Region Philbis,
When I read Roberta's response, I thought "One day less of worry!" (I've re-written the thought a few times and can't figure out how to say that properly. I always want to get my grammar right when speaking with Roberta!)
margo

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:38 pm
Despite the translation, I still don't understand the food from the Second Avenue Deli, on toid and toity-toid!
littlek

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:40 pm
@margo,
the toid's a threes. Third and thirty-third. Think Archie Bunker.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:40 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet, I was interested in that as a possibility too, but never managed to type it.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:09 pm
@littlek,
Dunno Archie Bunker....

I understood the address, thanks - I just liked the sound of it! Cool
littlek

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:24 pm
@margo,
Oh, it was the food you didn't understand....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:11 pm
@Roberta,
http://www.cancercare.org/get_help/assistance/index.php

Quote:
For more than 60 years, CancerCare has provided financial assistance to help with some types of costs, including transportation, homecare, childcare, and pain medication. Our social workers and case managers are well trained in financial issues and will work closely with you to get you the help you need.

these folks might already be part of your team, but just in case ...

~~~

Region has got it right.

~~~

(((((((((( darling Roberta )))))))))))
jespah

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:21 pm
Hugs darling.

BFN, those folks who cared for you sound wonderful.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:45 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

When I read Roberta's response, I thought "One day less of worry!" (I've re-written the thought a few times and can't figure out how to say that properly. I always want to get my grammar right when speaking with Roberta!)

Sounds just fine to me, littlek. I don't give a flying you-know-what about your grammar. I just care about what you have to say, not how you say it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:52 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:

Despite the translation, I still don't understand the food from the Second Avenue Deli, on toid and toity-toid!

Margo, I assume you understand corned beef, pickles, and a Kaiser roll.

A knish is a potato concoction. There are two kinds. Square ones, which have a thickish crust and are fried. And round ones, which have a lighter crust and are baked.http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/franticfoodie/library/IMG_0043.jpghttp://imgsrv.923krock.com/image/wfny3/UserFiles/Image/news_images/potato_knish.jpg

Some knishes are made with kasha (buckwheat). Most are made with mashed potatoes, onion, and other stuff.

Gribbinis is fried chicken fat. It was served cold, like potato chips with cold sauteed onions. This could also be called crunchy cholesterol.

What else didn't you understand?
Roberta

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:53 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

http://www.cancercare.org/get_help/assistance/index.php

Quote:
For more than 60 years, CancerCare has provided financial assistance to help with some types of costs, including transportation, homecare, childcare, and pain medication. Our social workers and case managers are well trained in financial issues and will work closely with you to get you the help you need.

these folks might already be part of your team, but just in case ...

~~~

Region has got it right.

~~~

(((((((((( darling Roberta )))))))))))

Thanks, bubbeleh. Thanks for the link. I checked out Cancer Care--briefly. I didn't see anything that seemed immediately relevant to me. But I will return (when my focus is better) and look some more.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:56 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

my thought process with these things (no matter how scary it may be) is always "just get it over with".

i'm glad it'll be monday... just three short days of waiting...

reg (and everybody else), I think I'd be a microscopic amount less tense if I knew for sure that the surgery was going to take place on Monday. Part of the extreme tension is worrying that they won't be able to get the damned tube past my damned teeth. If I leave the hospital without having had the surgery, I will be mucho upsetto. Not knowing is driving me loony (loonier).
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 12:11 am
@Roberta,
A Kaiser roll is beyond me. Maybe we call them something different. I think a pickle is a gherkin here. Corned beef - well, I haven't had it in a squillion years. Corned beef and cabbage - food for the poor - I think of English derivation.

Knishes - never hoid of them, so thanks for the pix and explanation. Haven't seen anything like it here.

Gribbinis - do people eat this voluntarily?

Is this predominantly Jewish or kosher food? - may explain my lack of knowledge.

Thanks for taking the time from your worrying.
dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 12:16 am
@margo,
We have pickles!

Gherkins are just those super sweet bright green abominations.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 12:31 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

A Kaiser roll is beyond me. Maybe we call them something different. I think a pickle is a gherkin here. Corned beef - well, I haven't had it in a squillion years. Corned beef and cabbage - food for the poor - I think of English derivation.

Knishes - never hoid of them, so thanks for the pix and explanation. Haven't seen anything like it here.

Gribbinis - do people eat this voluntarily?

Is this predominantly Jewish or kosher food? - may explain my lack of knowledge.

Thanks for taking the time from your worrying.

Kaiser roll, hard roll, just plain roll:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3691770/2/istockphoto_3691770_kaiser_roll_isolated_over_white.jpg

Haven't eaten gribbinis in decades. Yes, eaten voluntarily. But not often these days.

Deb is right. A gherkin is a gherkin, and a pickle is a pickle.

http://www.competitiveeaters.com/images/pickle_001.jpg

Rolls are fairly universal. But the rest is "Jewish" food. It can be but doesn't have to be kosher.
dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 12:38 am
@Roberta,
Howz mit you, Boida?

Like a phone call?
Roberta

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:08 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Howz mit you, Boida?

Like a phone call?

I'm eh double minus. Not in a talking mood tonight. Maybe manana? Also I've become somewhat inaudible since the biopsy. I'll probably be even more so after the surgery/other treatment--whatever the hell happens.

Ask me manana--if you're around. Definitely not Sunday night.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 07:14 am
@Roberta,
the kaiser

it is an item of some debate in this house

I know kaisers. Set doesn't. He keeps asking where the bread rolls are. I don't buy bread rolls. In my world, bread rolls are sorta soft/squishy. I tell him there are no bread rolls.

Setanta pulls a kaiser from a bag. "I ASKED you where the bread rolls were!". "Those are kaisers." Twisted Evil and then he eats them cold bleccchhh <shudder>

Pickles - sour/half-sour/fresh dill. So many good options.

I recently found a dill relish that I adore. Didn't think such a thing would be good - but tangy dill relish in my tuna - makes my mouth pucker and water up.

~~~

here's to a big enough mouth, and Monday being a successful day.

~~~

Roberta, I found that link through Gilda's Club. I'm a big fan of the work done there. I've gone to the local clubhouse with friends. I hadn't realized, but should have, that the first one was in Manhattan.

You're by the stammtisch.

0 Replies