Surgery--Again

Roberta

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 11:13 pm
@dlowan,
Deb, Thanks for the smile-making diversions.

The dawgs were here today. A little on the overly enthusiastic side. I guess they missed me. Holly, a sweetie, is a licker. I still have skin left, but I know enough not to wear makeup when she's around. Heaven is a meshugina. Very happy to see me. There was almost an altercation--Heaven wanted me all to herself. A snarl and a bark. Joanie took care of things. Heaven likes to snuggle. She also like to put my fingers and hands in her mouth. No biting. I admit that I'm fearless in their presence. In fact, I'm fearless around most dogs.

The visit did me a world of good. I've got some renewed energy. I don't know how it works, but these dogs have a magic effect on me.

Oh, it was good to see Joanie too.

I'll be seeing my psychiatrist on Wed., and I'll be having a CAT scan on my lungs on Friday. Yes, I have all the fun.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 08:58 am
@Roberta,
Woof!!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:10 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

these dogs have a magic effect on me.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/76/f3/87/76f3870d5bd79e057ad4a5590242a2bf.jpg
dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 01:00 am
@ehBeth,
Hey Boida....how's mit?

You've had prednisone, right? I had to have it because of my breathing with this bug I've had. I stopped today....how long does it take to feel normal again? Assuming it makes you feel as weird as it does me. Never had it before.

How's dem dawgs? You got skin left? How's every little thing?
Ragman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 04:47 am
@dlowan,
Roberta, hope you're improving and playing with the dawgies.

I recall taking Prednisone and feeling better in about 3-5 days (after the appropriate tapering off). Currently I take a small dose of some sort of steroid (plus Benadryl) during my maintenance chemo but my last such treatment will be on Nov 10th. Just a week before this, my Onco docs do my last PET scan to make sure I'm still 100% in remission of NHL cancer. Crossing fingers as the results should be good as I'm symptom and lump-free for 18 months.

But of course a person's response to Prednisone withdrawal varies by individual and by the type of dosage and length of time you're on it. I felt pretty fortunate and happy to never have to be on it again.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 11:17 am
@Ragman,
I agree, though I'm no expert, re dosage mattering re prednisone withdrawal -

here's a long ago post of mine -
http://able2know.org/topic/103192-26#post-3347713

I don't remember any problem taking the v. low dose prednisone, nor anything after, except that it worked close to immediately.
Ragman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 11:40 am
@ossobuco,
Yeah. Prednisone works the same day..or close. I sort of remember from 20 yrs ago 10 mg dosage and very briefly on 20 mg and tapering over a week's time to zero.

The corticosteroid they give me preceding the chemo dosage is Deamthezone...with the benadryl to reduce the effects of the chemo.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 12:02 pm
@Ragman,
I might remember (or not) that my dose was 4 mg. Maybe 5. This was when? something like 1978. I've pretty good visual memory, so it might be true. Plus, its working probably helps me remember it. Memory of storylines in books or movies? Fuggedaboutit.

Oh, and I'm sure hopeful re your November testing.

And thinking dog time for Roberta..
Ragman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 03:05 pm
@ossobuco,
thanks for the well wishes.

Yeah, with those Prednisone pills, pharma has them starting with 5 mg as a 'light' dose. They typically do 5, 10 or 20 mg ..that sort of increment.

Waiting for news from Roberta.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 11:51 pm
@dlowan,
Hiya Bunny, Sorry to hear you had to take that steroid. I assume that the side effects vary. It never made me feel weird (weirder than usual)--just ravenously hungry and occasionally wildly energetic. These feelings were gone in a day or two after I stopped taking the med.

How am I? Eh. Not great. No terrible. Next week I have three doctor appointments: my annual visit to the dermatologist to check for skin cancer, a visit to my internist (for a bunch of stuff), and a visit to my pulmonologist to find out the results of my CAT scan. Not thrilled about all the schlepping. And worried about the CAT scan results.

My book group had a Halloween party yesterday. Aside from some transportation difficulties, I enjoyed being there. Do you remember that I'm the youngest person in this group? There's nothing like seeing an 88-year-old woman with a velvet spider on her head. Or a woman in her seventies with a lit-up-pumpkin hat and an orange and black feather boa. The leader of the group was a vampire.

I haven't seen the dogs for a couple of weeks. It was Joanie's birthday, and she went to the beach for a vacation.

I miss dem canines. I luv dem canines. Sigh.

BTW, my dosage of prednisone was 10 mg.

Ragman, glad you're doing well.
0 Replies

SumitaSofat

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 05:41 am
@Roberta,
How are you dear?? I am glad for you that you have a wonderful surgery..
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 12:07 am
Hi gang, I saw my internist on Wed. Had a check-up. Nothing wrong. I saw my pulmonologist on Thursday. Got the results of the CAT scan. The spot in my lung got smaller! Cancer does not get smaller. It's not cancer. The guess is that it's a scar from an infection. The doc said I was graduating. She doesn't want to see me for six months.

The lung thing has been hanging over my had for half a year. I didn't realize how much it was weighing on my mind until it was resolved. I feel lighter. I feel happy (for me). Yes, I still have "severe" COPD. But the doc said that many people in the same shape are strapped up to oxygen. I am walking around the Big Apple. Slowly. And not a lot of walking, but I ain't artificially oxygenated.

I called my cousin, and we went out to dinner. This was the first time in a very long time that I was in a light frame of mind. She noticed the difference.

Sigh.

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 03:34 am
@Roberta,
Woot! Yippee! ! Best news I've heard all week.

You go girl, kick up those heels and do celebratory jig. Yeehaw! !
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 08:51 am
@Roberta,
What a relief. I am so happy for you!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 08:53 am
@Roberta,
Can I also send my good wishes. You're one of the good ones, and that's brilliant news. Take Care.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 08:58 am
@Roberta,
I love the graduation, no damned lung cancer.

Robbie, I'm so glad to read all this.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 09:01 am
http://www.vanschools.org/UserFolders/PR-News/graduation%20cap.png
HAPPY GRADUATION!!!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 09:02 am
@Roberta,
That's super-duper!
Congrats! I hope that additional good graduation celebrations are in order.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 09:17 am
Yay!!!
http://www.kraftfoodservice.com/assets/recipe_images/62188v0.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 09:17 am
@Roberta,
"light frame of mind"

good

you're just the woman we need to hold these balloons

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/81/8155/YU7C300Z/posters/conrado-fine-art-photo-young-woman-holding-balloons-in-a-empty-city-street.jpg

such great news about your graduation Smile

0 Replies