Surgery--Again

Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 11:04 am
@Roberta,
From what I understand about oral thrush and being cancer survivor (or immuno-compromised), asthma meds (and inhaled cortico-steroids) can make matters worse or might be the cause of an outbreak of thrush.

In the following link to Mayo Clinic, it covers a lot of useful ground about what to do/ask and how best to manage and have a dialogue with doctor with this condition (whether it's located in the mouth or esophagus...tests for bacteria or virus...treatment and testing regime):
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/oral-thrush/basics/preparing-for-your-appointment/con-20022381
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 02:21 pm
Thanks for the phooeys.

Ragman, I've had this before. Know what causes it and how it should be treated. Thanks for the info (can't have too much).

That little trip cost me $50 in cab fares to get a prescription I asked for over the phone. I don't blame the hospital people. You can't be giving out prescriptions just because the patient requests them. However, this is me. Over 600 visits to Bellevue. If I say I need a scrip, then I need it.

Trying not to carry on about the money. Don't know what I'm gonna do. Sigh. Right now, I'm going to focus my attention on the medicine working. Money, shmoney.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 02:41 pm
@Roberta,
I wish they had some damn kind of seniors with low money driving service there.

They have one here, way smaller city, circa 1/2 million, but you have to call seven days in advance and it's only from 8am to 2pm, so you can get stuck without a paddle if in a long clinic situation.
Since I'm considering giving up my car, I then must sign up for the disabled senior folks operation, which will involve interviews, fair paperwork, and la de da (I know I'll pass, take one look; the difficulty is doing it). The good thing is they are rigged for more hours per day and way less notice than the all-seniors folks ( I think it is daily available, but I've research to do since it is a while since I looked).

Aggravating, re the scrip, to say the least. Perhaps a murmur plus a kick or two from you, in the right ear. Hard though to balance when raising foot to ear.
Roberta

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 03:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, There is a service here. But you can't use it the same day. You have to call at least one day in advance. That's why I took cabs.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 04:01 pm
@Roberta,
Ah, that's good, phew.
Still, sort of a link missing for emergencies.

I suppose that would get abused by some.

I had two emergencies a few years ago. The famous to me fainting as I was at my computer, that turned out to be five days of testing at Presbyterian. Luckily, I was on medicaid then, but I think the treatments were a big pump up, looking back. Especially the weekend wait for the cardiologist, who stated it was what I thought in the first place and changed my pill, on Monday. But know I know how all those many lab tests came out, no diabetes, for example.

The other was when my left eye swelled up like a pig and I called 911 late at night, followed by about eleven hours of waiting. I didn't know that this condition was relatively common for people with blepharitis, and no one in ophthalmology appeared to respond. The diagnosis the next day by a nurse practitioner (I like nurse practitioners) was wrong, it wasn't an infection.

Anyway, I may still owe re that ambulance, where I had no choice being hooked up to a bottle, and Diane had to follow. I walked in there, cripes.

Not to invade Robbie's thread, but pay attenition when ill, folks.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 04:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry, that was in bad order. Diane was in on the first episode.

As an a2k person, I'll say, always bring a book or a magazine.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 06:53 pm
@Roberta,
Oh my...is the thrush showing any improvement? I am having trouble figuring out what day you posted this.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 07:52 pm
@Roberta,
OK...then...hugs and stuff!
Roberta

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 09:52 pm
@Ragman,
Deb, This is all Friday on our half of the planet. Took the first dose of medicine this afternoon. I should have an inkling by tomorrow whether it's working or not.

Ragman, I know that you want to help. And I appreciate the info and the hugs and even the stuff.
dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 10:07 pm
@Roberta,
Beastly disease thrush!
Roberta

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 02:24 am
@dlowan,
Yes, ooky and painful. Also potentially dangerous. The meds had better work because my voice is disappearing as the thrush works its way down my throat. I really, really don't want to be inaudible again. How can I be annoying if people can't hear me?
dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 04:12 am
@Roberta,
Eat yoghurt!!!!!!

Plain, live yoghurt!
Roberta

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 12:47 pm
@dlowan,
Yup. I know about the yogurt. Got some yesterday.

I don't notice any improvement from yesterday. Phooey.
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 12:55 pm
@Roberta,
hi Roberta. I'm sure as writer, you've met some nerds or tech writers (like myself) who are itching to share info. Sometimes we learn that we have to check in with our audience and make sure of the receptiveness..or their prior knowledge.

More hugs..less stuff

Thrush, pls go away in a rush
Roberta

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 04:19 pm
@Ragman,
You've been through a lot this past year, and you've learned a lot. I understand that you want to share info. I was not unreceptive, but I did have prior knowledge.

Whadya mean "less stuff." Don't be stingy with the stuff.
dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 05:16 pm
@Roberta,
Got my wisher on.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 07:36 pm
@Roberta,
Hoping your throat is better and is feeling soothed.
Stuffing is a bit early. I'll save it for Thanksgiving Day meal.

Apropos of nothing, ...maybe it's part of my new healing process...I'm back into doing social things again after a period of some meditation and semi-isolation.

Tonight my lady friend and I went out to City Point park at the downtown Marina and then a great walk just before an impeding storm as it marched in on Siesta Key Beach. We're watching the storm clouds and lightning..while walking in the surf.

Had a great time and the rain didn't hit 'til we got back to our cars.
Roberta

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 11:25 am
@Ragman,
Glad you had such a good time.

It's possible that the thrush is improving. Not sure yet.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 11:39 pm
Finally got to lump. I'm trying to relax, which is not one of my strong suits.
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 03:27 pm
@Roberta,
Lump and relax already. Any movement on the thrush front?