Surgery--Again

Roberta

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 10:40 pm
@dlowan,
Not sure what you mean by radiotherapy. Is that the same thing as radiation? I will be getting three weeks of that.

dlowan

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 07:14 am
@Roberta,
Oh, sorry, by nuclear thingy I thought you meant radiotherapy which you guys call radiation.

I'm guessing it means they aren't going to check sentinel nodes instead.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 07:49 am
@Roberta,
My hoper is in high gear for you.

For those who consider this TMI, my apologies in advance. Feel free to skip over. fro those who are curious, it gives you a little insight into a state-of-the-art medical procedure that is very effective, helpful and humane for cancer suffers.

Roberta, I sincerely hope this helps you in some way. Perhaps, I might demystify it a bit...even though the areas of nuking and procedure might differ a bit.

Last September, I went through a Radiation Onco treatment at the VA hospital to treat my NHL cancer (pro-actively). Looking back it was more tedious than anything else. This was one of the last procedures they did on my behalf after 6 months of other varied treatment. For those that don't know my situation, I'm in 100% remission at the moment. Who know what the future has in store, though?! I'll cross those future bridges when I come to them.

I drove up the coast (pretty 55 min drive over the gorgeous Sunshine Bridge over Tampa Bay) into St. Pete. New Onco nuking facility at VA hospital campus. They were dynamite technicians and nurses. They did this hi-tech site locating of the exact spot...and I now have 3 tiny tattooed dots on my parts so they could laser locate it. Once they sited the exact spot...each day...the treatment took 10 mins. not a drop of nuking went elsewhere. I was amazed at their care and precision.

I felt odd only the first day or two...went 15 times over 3 weeks. There was/are no side affects at all and no pain at all. I was never made to feel like I was an object. Very humane bunch of folks. Afterwards, I tossed all my nightlights and flashlights because of the new glow-in-the-dark-aura I have.

For me this therapy was prophylactic (guessing if a stray microscopic cancer cell might have migrated, they would prevent a spread of cancer even if they could not detect it).

Hoping your experience is not too traumatic and quite successful. Medicine has come along way. so have you, Roberta!

Keep up the good fight!
glitterbag

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 07:14 pm
@Ragman,
Actually I'm glad you shared your experience. Nothing seems to be as terrifying as cancer, and stories of success and state of the art treatment hopefully are as reassuring to others as they are to me. My best buddy Helen was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer 17 years ago. Fortunately, the treatment she received at the time completely eradicated her cancer. The cancer hasn't popped up anywhere else and I'm very thankful I still have my partner in crime healthy and happy in 2015.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 03:47 pm
I saw the radiation oncologist on Monday. What did I learn? Either they'll zap my lymph nodes or they won't. I'll get five, fifteen, or thirty days of radiation. In other woids I didn't find out nuttin'. She asked me if I play Texas Hold 'em. I said yes, and it looks like we have to wait for the flop (in this case surgery).

I saw my pulmonologist today. My favorite doctor. He finished his fellowship and is heading to the midwest so his wife can be near family. I sent the wifey a wet Bronx cheer and gave the doctor a huge hug. I thanked him for treating me like an entire person instead of like a symptom or a disease.

I told my cousin (next of kin) that I have cancer--again. While the doctors at Bellevue refer to me as a cat (nine lives), my cousin has declared me immortal. I think I'd rather be a cat. Meow.
dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 04:03 pm
@Roberta,
Meow!

So....when is all this uncertain stuff happening? How were the lungs?

Woollies send love.
Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 10:18 pm
@dlowan,
Hey Deb, The surgery will be on June 24. The lungs are on hold and will be checked again in about six months. I send love back to the woollies and their unwoolly mum.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 05:39 pm
Back from Bellevue. I got there at nine in the morning. Got home at 4:30. A very long day. I got my medical clearance and my surgical clearance. I also met with two medical types re anesthesia, which is making me more noivous than the cancer. All seems to be in order.

I had a list of questions. Got answers to almost everything.

Because my alarm didn't go off in the morning, I raced out of the house and took a cab to the hospital. I was so exhausted at the end of the day that I couldn't get myself to the bus stop. Took a cab home. That's fifty bucks I can't afford. So once I recovered, I gathered some old rarely worn jewelry and sold it.

Did my grocery shopping. Tomorrow is lump day. Thursday I have to call the IRS. Something I dread.

If it weren't for dem dawgs and you guys, I don't know what I would do. I give a scritch on the head and a tummy rub to each and every one of you who've been so helpful and supportive.

I may start lumping now.
dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 03:15 am
@Roberta,
Lump already! Damn about the taxi fares.

Who will update us when you are in hospital?

Hey......Dodi thought you were poifect. What can I say?
Roberta

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 12:25 am
@dlowan,
I physically lumped. But my brain wasn't lumping. Thinking about nonlumpy things.

I asked Sheila to let you guys know what's going on. (I haven't heard back yet.) However, I'm supposed to be in and out in the same day, so I may let you know myself.

Dodi thought I was poifect? Maybe she had jet lag or something. I liked her a lot. Dinner was fun.

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 03:36 am
@Roberta,
Be good if we had a switch to turn non lumpy thoughts off.

Now I want duck!
dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 03:56 pm
@dlowan,
Oy! 24th is getting very close....it's actually tomorrow here.....how's mit du?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 05:01 pm
@dlowan,
It's getting close here too. Thinking of you, Robbie.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 05:29 pm
I spent the day on the phone with the IRS. All is sort of resolved for now. Sigh.

Getting tense and shaky. Sheila will check in with you guys if it's necessary.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 05:37 pm
@Roberta,
The IRS, egads. Now there is a pre-surgical distraction.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 06:56 pm
@Roberta,
IRS leave her alone already!
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 09:22 pm
@Roberta,
The IRS sure has a great sense of timing. Rolling Eyes.

My thoughts are with you for Wednesday. I hope all will go smoothly and that you'll be able to tell us about it yourself in the evening, If you're too tired to do that, I hope Sheila will be able to give us an update.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/46525933/tumblr_m6x9a37kUI1rqroywo1_1280_large.png

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 09:44 pm
@Roberta,
Wednesday.

Sending you much love and ... watch out ....

https://31.media.tumblr.com/bc2af4ec55428f14e94ffff699641c67/tumblr_n3sdhiZ00v1shhcgno7_500.gif

they're coming for you !!!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:20 pm
@ehBeth,
made me laugh, that did
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 11:10 pm
@Roberta,
That sounds even more taxing. (Can't help myself).
Seriously, hoping things go smoothly.