Surgery--Again

Roberta

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 12:02 pm
The doctor called again. He consulted with oncologists and other doctors. They decided to follow the plan. Wait three months and see what happens.

Have I regained the lightness? No. I think that was a kind of euphoria. That doesn't last. But I have energy, and I'm making plans to do things I like to do.

The doctor is a mensch. I told him that he gets a gold star for being one of the only doctors at Bellevue who called when he actually said he'd call.

Smiling a toothless smile. My social worker is on her way over. When she leaves, Joanie and the dogs arrive. I'm such a busy goil.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 01:06 pm
@Roberta,
Mazeltov. I told you it wasn't necessarily bad news at all.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 10:13 pm
Your doctor sounds more like an ubermench. But then you seem like an uberwench.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 08:38 am
@Roberta,
He called when he said he'd call?
Have you checked his credentials?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 04:04 pm
Hi gang, I was at Bellevue on Wednesday to see my psychiatrist. I arrived to find news trucks, satellite dishes, and reporters. No, nobody gave a damn that I showed up. The ebola patient is at Bellevue.

The doc thinks that I'm more than normally anxious. I agree. He gave me a prescription to help. I haven't had it filled yet.

I've decided to put off having my teeth fixed. There's only so much stuff a person can deal with. Let me find out what's happening with my lung. Then I'll turn my attention to my teeth.

I haven't mentioned dog visits for a while. I didn't tell you about the airborne pit bull (two weeks ago). The dogs arrive. Heaven checks out the garbage pail in the kitchen and takes a drink out of the toilet bowl. I usually have the bedroom door closed, but this time it was open. She went in to explore. In the meantime. I sat on the couch and Holly came over to say hello and lick my face.

When Heaven came into the living room and saw what was happening, she took off. Somehow in a leap she managed to wedge herself between me and the couch. She made a noise. Holly retreated. Neither Joanie nor I saw that coming. We're also not sure where she started from or how she did it.

The dogs are coming tomorrow, a day late. I miss them.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 04:12 pm
@Roberta,
Dogs can be a hand full, but I couldn't imagine living without them.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 04:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, me too, and I do.
I'm always on dog alert, in a good way.
Dogs tomorrow!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:33 pm
Me and the girls last week. Note: Holly is on my lap. She weighs about 75 pounds. No problemo.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/HollyHeavenme--onthecouch-1.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:42 pm
@Roberta,
Three lovely gals

http://previewcf.turbosquid.com/Preview/2014/05/24__08_26_37/heart02.jpgb9942381-19a0-4077-957f-41c7cce609fbLarger.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 08:47 am
Looks like you're all communicating..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 08:50 am
Looks like you're all communicating happily.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 08:53 am
@Roberta,
Oh how I love this photo - wonderful!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 05:29 pm
@Roberta,
just dropped by to look at this picture again

so much happy
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 08:10 pm
@Roberta,
That looks like a very happy lap, and a very happy lady.

Only one full day to go before Friday, and the next visit. Smile
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 08:09 am
arf
dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2014 07:44 pm
@George,
Hey!! How's mit already?
Roberta

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2014 11:38 pm
@dlowan,
No change. Still anxious. Trying to relax. Never one of my strengths. I have to wait a while before I get more tests and know anything.

Thomas says he thinks I'm walking better. If that's so, I attribute it to the weight loss. My doc says that people with emphysema lose weight. Also people with cancer. Don't know which it is for me. All I know is that I'm eating a lot.

Someone from my social services agency is gonna take me to the Metropolitan Museum and wheel me around. I can't wait. I used to go there a lot. I haven't been there in years.

Thomas also suggested that he might take me to the zoo (in da Bronx). I can see myself crying. Even the thought gets me all teary eyed.

The dog visits keep my spirits up. Also, being busier than I used to be.

It has occurred to me that I've become a one-dimensional lump. I guess it's not surprising that sick people lose friends.

How's by you, bunny?
dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 10:37 pm
@Roberta,
Cool re met!!!! Do they have little self propelled carts?

Cool re dogs.

I'm not sure trying to relax works......tried mindfulness? No pressure there.

Me....hmmmmm. I surrendered and listened to my back person and took a week off to try and let my back heal. It's sitting and getting up and down from sitting that kills it. It better be better is all I can say!!!!! Been lying down or exercising...no sitting, no driving. I'm bored shitless! I'm a bit scared if this hasn't improved it. I have to say the pain at times has been stunning. If this hasn't done it, off to MRIs and ****, I guess....but I have very little hope that medicine can help backs. Maybe strong painkillers? Don't like them! I'm feeling guilty and kind of desperate re all the work that is waiting for me at work.

Been doing bits of housework also....place was looking like ****! I can even garden as long as I do it in tiny bits and don't sit down.

Had to pull out of stuff I was doing. Grrrrrrr.

I've been recommended a physio who deals well with very damaged spines. Damn thing was doing so much better for years. I'm worried it's the driving. Not a lot I can do about that right now.

Otherwise well.

Getting some work done round the place that I've been desperate to get done. Guy is ok to do it bit by bit. I'll see what I think of his first lot of work.
Roberta

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 11:15 pm
@dlowan,
deb, Not sure I know what you mean by mindfulness. If I understood, I might try it.

The Metropolitan Museum has old-fashioned wheel chairs. If it had self-propelled carts, I wouldn't need somebody to wheel me. I might try going to the Frick on my own. It's small. And I love it. Big time. My favorite Rembrandt self-portrait and two breath-taking Vermeers are there. Also two glorious Turners. And a library I always wanted to rummage through.

I'm upset to hear about your back and about the pain you're in. Also upset that you're upset. I know that backs are major and tricky. Spines. I say fie on them.

My hoper is in high gear for you. Sigh.
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2014 12:25 am
@Roberta,
Mindfulness is very much practiced....Google the bastard.

Some interesting research coming in re good changes to genes from it. In breast cancer patients.

I could send you one of the books via Amazon if you're really interested. Or do you prefer audio?

I find it very useful when I'm not too goddam lazy to use it! You have to use it regularly to benefit.