Surgery--Again

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 03:22 pm
@Roberta,
Oh, Sheila shares a birthday with a good friend of mine, Pip!

How does she feel about retiring?

And you are about to celebrate a natal day!

So glad you had a great time out.
Roberta

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 05:09 pm
@dlowan,
Sheila is thrilled to be retiring. Thrilled, I tell ya.

My natal day is a little over a week away. I'm gonna buy myself a little cake and get another birthday wish. I'm a solid believer in official wishes.

I'm glad I had a good time, too.
Izzie

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 03:14 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

My natal day is a little over a week away. I'm gonna buy myself a little cake and get another birthday wish. I'm a solid believer in official wishes.

I'm glad I had a good time, too.

So am I, GOIL.

I'm hoping this izn't too inappropriate - I just have to tell you that I was listening to the radio going to the hospital yesterday and this played... I SMILED SO BIG and sang so loud - if I could've, I would've jumped outta the car and danced! This makes me think of you Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdbrIrFxas0

Thinking of you every day, Boida - wishing you well, sending love across the poind in bucketloads. Love you Goil xxxxxxxxxxxxx x
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 03:35 pm
@Roberta,
Wonderful, wonderful. Also with the tiramisu baker and the candles and the other group and the waiters..

Limoncello - I made some again this year (it's easy, lemons, vodka, time). Some is stronger than others, mine not so much.

I don't think I've ever had veal piccata. Now I'm hungry -

http://www.saveur.com/sites/saveur.com/files/images/2012-09/7-SAV150-138.VealPiccata-750x750.jpg
Roberta

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 04:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Izzele, You think of me when you hear that song? Now I'm worried about your mental health. Actually, I love it. Twist. Me and Ray.

osso, You've never had veal piccata? Start cooking, kid. If you can't get veal, chicken will do. Tart, tangy, delish. Enjoy.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 10:23 pm
@Roberta,
What a lovely dinner, Roberta. Happy birthdays to you and to Shiela. But I am more pleased regarding her retirement, being one who has really been enjoying his for almost ten years now.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 11:45 pm
@Roberta,
Oh dear God Roberta, I was drooling when I read your dinner selections. When Tirimisu is done authentically, it is heaven. We used to have wonderful family run restaurants in Baltimore, but as time moves along, a lot of younger family members choose to sell those old treasures and mediocre chains move in. They seldom last more than a year.

A fine restaurant is devine, and becoming scarcer then hens teeth. Osso, if you can't find a recipe, I'll send you a site for reference. It's a wonderful butter lemon sauce with capers over pounded veal, perfecto.
Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 01:50 am
@glitterbag,
JL, Sheila's off to Malaysia to visit her son and then do a bit of touring around.

Hey glitter, This restaurant is definitely old-fashioned, old-style. Hearty, well-prepared food. Excellent service. I'm still drooling over the tiramisu. It was poifect.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:20 am
Posted this recently on Facebook, thought I'd share with the person I'm referring to here. My uncle (really uncle-in-law, but after 20+ years in the same family the "in-law" part fades away) is a very smart man who just finished undergoing treatment for cancer and who is worried about lingering effects of chemo brain. I was the one who told him about it, early in his treatment.

Quote:
I learned of chemo brain from someone who has about the sharpest mind I've ever encountered. She had chemo many years ago and I didn't know her before then, but I can't quite imagine her being sharper yet. Or if so, I think I would have heard of her when she figured out dark matter or how to cure cancer or something.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:39 am
@glitterbag,
I can get recipes - I can't get veal nearby, much less well raised veal. On making piccata with chicken - I have years ago, but my favorite chicken recipe also involves lemon (Giuliano Bugialli's lemon chicken, and I have been known to add capers when I have them) - it's a spatchcocked roast chicken that I make every so often and leaves me with lots of good chicken left over. It's screamingly good - the flavors plus the relatively fast and even roasting because of the spatchcocking. I've a thread on it somewhere here.

That veal piccata in the photo looked scrumptious. And I love a good tiramisu. And appreciate good restaurants of the older ways.

Roberta, that's great Sheila can travel like this now - just great.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 04:31 pm
Back from Bellevue. Saw the neurologist. My symptoms don't sound like Alzheimer's, but they sound like something. I'm gonna get my brain scanned. Also having a ton of blood tests. It might be a chemical imbalance or a vitamin deficiency. Could also be stress.

It may also be an endocrine problem. Finally got the appointment with the endocrinologist. I'll get that taken care of soon.

Much confusion and waiting in lines. No seats! I told the doctor that some people might call such a situation a zoo. But I think that if animals were treated like that, the place would be shut down and the keepers arrested for cruelty to animals. Sigh.

Not going into a detailed kvetch. (Signs of age?)
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 09:04 pm
@Roberta,
Sign of impatience, to me, reasonable.

Very useful that you chased that, I'm impressed, Roberta.

Don't get me going on no seats. Falling onto floors is hard for many.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 12:14 am
@Roberta,
knowing what I do aboot you, I am putting my money on stress...

(((B)))
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 02:03 am
@Roberta,
Well, at least it sounds as though it's likely to be better than Alzheimer's.

Life's just one damn thing after another.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 06:22 pm
Back from Bellevue. Saw a gyn-onc. Why? Unspecified growths. At first, they thought I needed a biopsy. I don't do well with those.

Then the head doc came in. Nope. No biopsy. Growths aren't strange. They're cysts.

Also, this is the first day in two weeks that I don't have an agonizing, excrutiating toothache.

Because I haven't been able to eat actual food, I lost some weight. (No Handel). My pants are falling down.

C'est tout.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 06:40 pm
good on no bio; grrrrr re tooth, weightloss.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 12:39 am
I gotta take back one of the hallelujahs. The toothache is not entirely gone. Not agony, but there. Phooey.
Izzie

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 06:19 am
@Roberta,
Hallelujahing for good news on cysts...

(((((((((((((((((((((((((Boida)))))))))))))))))))))))))

You take a Hallelujah bavk, I'll give youze another ... Razz

relating on tooth... having a molar with a nasty wavy root out under general on 19th; he may be going in through the jaw. UGH YEUCH. On the positive - I won't be able to eat over Christmas so wooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooo for weight loss even though I iz gonna be sporting a black, blue, green and yellow hamster face! Mr. Green

http://www.swanimalhospital.net/_img/02_animals/hamster400x400.jpg

Thinking of you goil - love you Boidaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ragman

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 06:26 am
@Roberta,
So sorry you still got a toothache. but glad no biopsy is needed. A day without some sort of pain is a good one.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 01:31 pm
Two asides.

I don't know whether it's still going on, but in the past, every Christmas eve, there was a midnight concert of Handel's Messiah at Carnegie Hall. I used to go. Not a messiah believer, but am a believer in uplifting music. While I'm on the subject. I used to make an annual trip to see the New York City Ballet's Nutcracker Suite at Lincoln Center. Ah, the olden days, when I had cultcha.

Second aside: The woman behind the desk at Bellevue liked me. How do I know this for certain? She said to me, "I like you." She said I have a good personality. Hey, it was the end of a long day. She must have been in a weakened condition. When I came out after seeing the doctor, I was happy. No biopsy. I told her. She told me to go home and relax with a nice glass of wine. I don't drink, says I, but you can be sure I'll have some chocolate. The next thing I know, she's rummaging around in her personal stuff. Comes out with a bag of some European chocolates and insists that I take a few. What a nice lady. I haven't tried them yet. Be calm, tooth. I wanna eat some chocolate from across the sea.