Surgery--Again

Miller

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 09:34 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

... my dermatologist, besides being a great doctor, is also absolutely gorgeous! Embarrassed [/b]

Is this MD male or female?
vonny

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 03:14 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Thanks for that Phoenix - it helps to know of other people who've had skin cancer - and who've survived BCC's and worse! You were very wise to see your (gorgeous) dermatologist after holidays in the sun - here in chilly old England, with dark skin that seemed never to burn, one fails to seek advice early enough when noticing anything unusual. I've totally ignored the damaged skin on the side of my nose for three years or more - but it's not really noticeable unless I pull my nostrils to one side and examine it very closely. Then it's possible to see a clearly defined area over quite a large area. Just wish I'd sought help earlier. What do you call 'caught early'?

Roberta - so sorry about your asthma. You've obviously been under a great deal of strain, and must be mentally and physically exhausted. Do take care of yourself and try to get some 'me' time. After all you've been through, you deserve it!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 03:29 pm
@Miller,
Are you a male or a female?
Miller

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 03:39 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Are you a male or a female?

I'm not a dermatologist...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:34 pm
@Miller,
I knew that...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 07:39 pm
@vonny,
Quote:
What do you call 'caught early'?

If you see anything on your skin that is new, and looks looks "different", consider it warning. I go see the doctor once a year for a full body checkup, and see the p.a. in between every six months.

I noticed a dime sized red spot on the top of my foot, and showed it to the doctor.
Sure enough, it was squamous cell. He biopsied it, but he only had to spray it with that stuff that kills the cancer cells. Apparently, it was sitting on top of my skin, so no more surgery was necessary.

I get what I call my "crunchies". It is usually on the face, but can be elsewhere. With them, the skin feels rough. Every time I get one of those, they turn out to be basal cell.

Oh, another thing. I had a pre-cancerous lesion in the middle of my smallpox vaccination scar. According to the doctor, it is very common for people to develop cancerous and pre cancerous lesions on their scar. Mine showed up as a rough patch of skin.

Bottom line, skin cancer can easily be cured, and is nothing to be afraid of .It's the idiots who sit for years with melanoma, and do nothing, who have a serious problem.
Izzie

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:09 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Not so great today.

Asthma. Gotta get myself to the asthma clinic.

Phooey.

Hey Goil - how are feeling today? Could the asthma clinic help...

((Boida)) x
Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:58 am
@Izzie,
The asthma clinic isn't open on the weekends. Didn't need the ER--the only other option.

I'll see how I feel on Monday. Right now, not great but not terrible.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 03:51 am
@Phoenix32890,
That's really helpful. Thank you. Especially about looking out for lesions on scars - I have bad scarring where I had a patella removed - note some changes there. Will get them checked out. Too late to do anything about the one on my nose - can only hope leaving it for three years (thinking it was something innocent) won't cause too serious a problem when they operate!

Roberta - I hope that you're doing okay now.
Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:47 pm
@vonny,
vonny, I'm hanging in. Breathing in both directions.

I've gone from lumping to having too much work. Couldn't say no. Desperate for money.

Phooey on the money. Not phooey on the two-way breathing.
vonny

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 04:13 pm
@Roberta,
Poor you - that sounds really unpleasant. Do you have inhalers and so on? Must be hard coping with breathing problems on top of everything else. All the work you've taken on must be putting a strain on you too. Medical bills must be a dreadful thing to have to cope with on top of ill health. I know people knock our NHS, but at least at the moment it's free. So there is never the problem of having insurance.

Living in a big city can't help your lungs - or is the air cleaner nowadays? I used to work in London, and that was pretty bad at times.
Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 05:52 pm
@vonny,
vonny, vonny, vonny. What can I tell ya? I take three asthma meds daily. I also have an inhaler and a nebulizer. The nebulizer is a machine like an inhaler only more powerful I have COPD (it includes emphesema).

I've only just begun the work. I won't feel the effects for a while. The medical bills haven't arrived yet. My money problems are far more basic than that. I don't want to be evicted (I'm behind in my rent), and I like to have lights on, a telephone, and a cable connection.

I could absolutely, positively NOT live outside a city. Air shmair. There's more to life than breathing. (Did I just say that? Yes, I did.)

I'm a city kid. Must have concrete under my feet. It's essential. And if I'm gonna be in a city, it's gonna be the Big Apple, Gotham, Noo Yawk.

Ok, I'm done.

I hope all is well with you. The waiting is hard.

vonny

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 04:03 am
@Roberta,
Don't worry about me, you have plenty of problems yourself and they make mine look totally insignificant. But I am grateful that I have people like you to talk to - makes the waiting less fearful, and hearing of the trials and tribulations you've been through and are going through - well, it really does humble me and make me feel perhaps my lot is not so bad!

You say you aren't brave, but I beg to differ. You are a very brave lady indeed. Yet you retain a marvellous sense of humour despite everything. I'm a newcomer to A2K, but slowly catching up with some of the threads. Your account of life in 'the Building' is amazing - such a warm and vivid account of life there. I can see why you feel that you belong in the city. Good luck to you, I do so hope you get your financial problems sorted out and manage to pay rent and so on - such a shame that you have such problems on top of your health issues.

Your asthma sounds really bad. Emphysema too - that's worrying. Try and balance things so that, even if you do catch up with work, you get rest and try to eat the right sort of diet to help you. Have you family nearby? I haven't read enough on A2K yet to have fully caught up with details.
Roberta

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 05:47 pm
@vonny,
Vonny, You have been poking around. You read about the Building. You mentioned it, and it inspired me to go take a look at that thread. I love the pictures and the memories. (I love that thread.)

Vonny, querida, You have skin cancer. Not insignificant. Tsuris (Yiddish for problems, troubles, hard to translate) is not a competitive sport.

I have two cousins. A first cousin, next of kin (in the family photos). I don't see him much. A second cousin is the person who came and got me out of the hospital. That's it for family.

What about you, familywise?

Aside: In the past I kvetched frequently about having problems with my legs. Standing, walking, bending, etc. I'd been sitting on an ancient chair at the computer. Here's a picture. Yes, that's me.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/Meonredchair.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, a large bolt fell out of the bottom of the chair. I shoved it back in but got noivous. I switched chairs with one of my mother's dining room chairs. I've noticed in the past week that I get up and down without difficulty. No leg pain. Fie on the chair. May it rest in peace.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 05:56 pm
@Roberta,
I plain old love that photo, Robbie.
JPB

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 06:46 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I plain old love that photo, Robbie.

me too!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 07:05 pm
osso and j, Glad you like the pic. I was just demonstrating what an old chair it was. I was less than a year old in that pic. Do the math.

An OLD chair.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 02:02 pm
@Roberta,
Yes, I've been poking around - keep finding new stuff all the time. Great to be kept so busy! Stops me from thinking about my BCC!

Love the thread about the Building - must read it again, more slowly this time - just sorry that it ended when it did. I felt there was still more to be said. Have you thought about writing a book on the subject - or has that been covered already?

My parents were in their forties when I was born, and my brothers were already adults. All of them died - both brothers of heart disease - in a ten year period from 1976 to 1986. I have random cousins, but none close, and my brother had two children with whom I've lost contact apart from the obligatory Christmas card. I'm not great at keeping in touch with relatives!

Love the photograph - such a sweet and mischievous face. You have some fascinating photos in your Building thread too - great to have an album like that.

How are you feeling now? Any relief from the asthma?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 02:07 pm
@Roberta,
I love old photos. Particularly of people I know. Great one.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 09:11 pm
Boidy--hope your asthma can wait until the clinic is opened again. Breathing is so really, really important.

I'm driving to Phoenix tomorrow to visit my cousin who has been diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer.

She went for chemo a couple of times, but her daughter (with whom she is staying) said that she was afraid that her daughter whould be exposed to the poison from the chemo. God save us from idiots!!! My cousin has stopped the chemo and is going to some kind of doctor who is giving her injections of vitiman C.

The steam coming from my ears should provide enough energy to fuel me all the way from Albuquerque to Phoenix. I'm so angry I could just spit. I promise to be nice and supportive when I arrive, although I've already talked to her about staying with me and gettiang chemo here. I don't thing she will, but she is considering it.

Vonny, it is good to see a nice new a2ker on this thread. I like the word games also, but I don't post as often as I would like, so haven't had the pleasure of meeting you elsewhere.

Love you, Boidy.