Surgery--Again

roger

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 10:57 pm
@Roberta,
That means he should have done something today, right?
Roberta

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 11:28 pm
@roger,
Several doctors did stuff today. Did it work? Maybe yes. Maybe no.

Deb, Pain. I have a high threshold for pain. This is pushing my threshold.
Eva

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 11:45 pm
@Roberta,
Are you able to swallow anything now? Water, at least?
Roberta

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 11:52 pm
@Eva,
I keep trying. Sometimes I gag. Sometimes I don't.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:53 am
@Roberta,
checking back in after an eventful morning.

lost my internet for a while.

got 6 more inches of snow overnight, and then chased a corgi all over the property through it.

I'm tired. and cold, and wet.

ruby is sleeping now on the sofa.

stinky is standing guard on this side of the doggy barricade.

how's by youz?

(((B)))
Roberta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:56 am
@Rockhead,
Pain is diminished a bit, but I'm still having trouble getting stuff down. Big asthma problem.

Trying to decide whether to talk about all that's happened or just let it go.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:58 am
@Roberta,
I'm snowed in.

got plenty of time to listen to kvetching if it helps to let it out...

I'll send you a picture after I get back out in it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 11:12 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
got 6 more inches of snow overnight, and then chased a corgi all over the property through it.

ruby is sleeping now on the sofa.

the important question for you is ..... is the corgi happy?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 11:14 am
@ehBeth,
she was having a blast.

damn dogs...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 11:18 am
@Roberta,
Will it aggravate you more to ventilate or to hold it in?

Are popsicles or frozen anythings an option?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 11:25 am
@Roberta,
just dropped by to wish all the pain away and hope you can enjoy eating the good stuff again real soon.

Roberta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 11:57 am
@farmerman,
I haven't eaten anything since Monday.

Gonna try something later, maybe.

Still struggling with the water. I had a bit of milk last night. Some went down; some didn't.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 12:00 pm
One of the ENT docs came to see me in the ER. He looked down my throat with a camera. He said he saw no reason for this to be happening. I said, but it is happening. I got an IV of steroids to lessen the swelling. It's still happening.

I'm dealing with the asthma myself. I'm not going back to the ER.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 12:13 pm
@Roberta,
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

(gentle dog nose is asking after you, her other mom)
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 12:14 pm
@Roberta,
Hello Querida

So sorry it is so sore and difficult to swallow...

Have you got any ice chips or popsicles? I'd avoid milk (only my opinion) because it can make you mucus'y <blech>

I so wish there was something we could do to help. The asthma is probably worsening with the stress involved in all that's happening and having to wait for the results (I know that sounds obvious but I just needed to say it). I know how panicky I would feel if I wasn't able to swallow properly... so I was thinking that if you had ice chips that you could just let melt in your mouth and lean back on your pillow, some fluid would just go down without having to do the swallow as such.

I'm thinking of you Boida and sending you all my love. Hoping this will resolve very soon. Please do go to the ER if the asthma worsens - I realise you don't want to darlin' goil, but if you need to, and if you need fluids, you must get help. So sorry this is happening to you. Love you goil xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 12:20 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

He said he saw no reason for this to be happening. I said, but it is happening. I got an IV of steroids to lessen the swelling. It's still happening.

I'm dealing with the asthma myself. I'm not going back to the ER.

He may not be able to see a reason for it to be happening, but the fear of swallowing after the surgery could be what's making it happen. Your throat may be tightening (consciously or subconsciously) each time you have to swallow fluids.
dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 01:53 pm
@Izzie,
There's an idea. Whatever it is, I hope it stops.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 01:59 pm
Damn, damn, damn!

We're all in your corner, babes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 02:04 pm
@Izzie,
I wouldn't blame patient fear for this happening, though maybe you are right that it is involved, Iz, dunno. Swelling is swelling.

I want you watched, Roberta. Be a pest and make them watch you. Don't make me fly over there.
Roberta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 02:16 pm
I just ate some cream of wheat. Went down without a problem. Tried a drink of water when I was done. The water came back up.

My arms and legs are not functioning well. Pain when I cough.

Izzie, Not fear of swallowing. Phlegm. Mountains and mountains of phlegm, which have plagued me since the throat radiation.

I'm treating the asthma. It's a little better.

Throwing in Nightmare Episode 1. The day of surgery. I arrived and was hustled immediately to preop. They are calling for me. I got undressed and answered some questions. When did I eat? I had milk last night at around 12:15.

Long story short. Surgery was canceled. It was reported to the docs that I had milk in the afternoon, not at night. I started to cry. Not lady crying, but baby crying. Loud sobs. Somebody happened by and asked me what was wrong. I had milk fourteen hours ago, and the surgery has been canceled. She said she would talk to the docs. One of the surgeons came up to see me. Mistake. Surgery not cancelled. But now I'm last.

When I came to, all the docs were gone. I felt horrible, but I was improving slowly. My cousin was there. They put me in a room that was so hot that sweat was pouring off me and her. I had the option of staying. I got the hell out as fast as I could.

I was given a prescription for pain. Too late. All the drugstores were closed. Wouldn't have mattered. I couldn't swallow a pill.