Surgery--Again

Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 09:18 am
Back from Bellevue. Saw a doctor and got a prescription for prednisone, which is what I knew I needed. He also gave me a scrip for an antibiotic (I might have an infection).

Gonna work, eat, sleep, and work. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Way, way behind on editing two books. One is a thousand pages with 500 tables.

I haven't had much of an appetite, so I haven't been eating much (lost four pounds).

Haven't really slept officially since the weekend.

And how's by you all?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 11:29 am
@Roberta,
I'm fairing well Lady Roberta.

You need to find a winning lottery ticket and Mediterranean sea cruise to help you sleep and gain a much needed appetite. Very Happy
Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 12:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsar, How did you know about my love for water, the sea, and being out on the briny? I don't need any fancy shmancy cruise (although I wouldn't say no). Just find me a seaworthy sailing ship and let the wind blow. Bliss. Heaven. Smiling from the memories. Aaaaaaah.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 01:35 pm
Last night with my cookies and milk I took 13 pills. By the time I got them all down, it was almost time for breakfast.

I slept for the first time in days.

Has my breathing improved? No.

I'm gonna use the Nebulizer and get to work.

I'd add a sigh here, but my sighs these days are kinda one way.

I've resumed worrying about the throat check-up scheduled for Tuesday. All the stuff I'm taking for breathing is an irritant to my throat.

On a more positive note (bet you didn't think I had positive notes), someone sent me a gift certificate for FreshDirect. I always order one luxury item. This time a steak! I broiled it to a perfect medium rare and dove in. Divine. Like a transfusion. But too much. I saved the leftovers and had a steak sandwich last night. Not divine, but damned good. And there's still more left. I may make some kinda stir fry tonight if I have the breath to stand and cut and fry.

Three meals out of one steak. No longer a luxury item.

BTW, for those on the lookout, Fresh Direct has the best chocolate cupcakes I can find. Moist, cakey, sweet, with a dollop of chocolate on the top. Also divine--and long gone.
Izzie

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 01:54 pm
@Roberta,
So glad you slept - but oooooooof on the rest! Hope the prednisone will help - it should increase your appetite a little too.

Thinking of you Boida - highering the hoper for Tuesday

love you goil xxxxxxx
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 10:20 pm
I am happy to report that all parts of my computer are now working. After the hard drive was installed, the mouse dropped dead. After the new mouse was installed, the printer stopped working. Now I gotta pay for the repairs. Thud.

I had the steak in a stir-fry. Good.

Working hard.

No improvement in breathing. I need time for the steroids to kick in.

I'm gonna stop rambling now. I may resume later. (Don't say I didn't warn you.)

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 10:35 pm
@Roberta,
I hope the work is going well. How do the mouses and printers KNOW you have a new hard drive?
Roberta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:08 pm
@dlowan,
Ask 'em.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 02:45 am
@dlowan,
The work is not going as well as I would like--or as well as it might have gone a few years ago, when I had stamina and the ability to concentrate. But it's going.

Proofreading job--on schedule
Editing job 1--late
Editing job 2--very late

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 06:03 am
Just hobbled an errand.

Managed to get to the corner before I started breathing hard. A great improvement from a few days ago, when walking across the room was an effort. I might have gotten all the way back home without panting, but I was carrying packages.

Gonna have a root beer float. Very Happy
Izzie

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 06:10 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

A great improvement from a few days ago...

So glad for little steps - any improvement is a good thing - don't overdo it tho goil! Hope you are managing to get the work done.

((((((((((((((Boida)))))))))))))))) xxxx
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 08:29 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
Gonna have a root beer float. Very Happy

Wow, I haven't had one of those since I was a teen!

http://foodbeast.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/root-beer-float.jpg

I remember the ice cold mugs, the vanilla ice cream and the wonderful taste of fermented root beer. I think I got spoiled from the home brew my dad, brother and I used to make. The seltzerized root beer just isn't the same.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your float, Roberta!
Roberta

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 08:36 am
@Butrflynet,
I'm having my float with chocolate/chocolate chip ice cream. When I'm finished with the ice cream and the root beer, all the little chippies have gathered on the bottom, leaving me one glorious mouthful of dark chocolate. Slurp.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 08:40 am
@Roberta,
Okay, I have to ask. How long did you let the foamy mustache remain on your upper lip before licking it off?

My brother and I used to have a contest to see who could keep theirs in place the longest. He always won.
Roberta

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 08:43 am
@Butrflynet,
I'm embarrassed to admit that I use a straw. However, no straws are allowed with egg creams. That foamy mustache was a kid's pride and joy. Mine never lasted that long. I wanted that stuff in my mouth, not on my lip.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 08:47 am
@Roberta,
Doesn't the straw get all clogged up with ice cream?

I guess that could be a good thing, because it then means you have to remove the straw and suck out all the ice cream before using it again.

I bet that foamy goodness felt good on your throat. How are you doing these days with the swallowing troubles?
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 08:48 am
@Butrflynet,
I'm trying to come up with some treats for BBB's last few meals this weekend before she has to start fasting for her surgery on Monday morning.

Have any suggestions? I'm already thinking about ice cream and some watermelon. Might get a few peaches if there are any decently ripened in the store.
Roberta

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 08:56 am
@Butrflynet,
I treated myself to fresh strawberries with whipped cream. Vunderbar. I've also been having wonderful breakfasts--a banana with sour cream, one of my comfort foods from childhood.

Udderwise, just get her what she likes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 11:18 am
@Roberta,
Good to hear....and I'm rooting for the root beer float....whatever the hell that is.

Some sort of soft drink with ice cream?

And chocolate with it?

That's an essential food group all right!

Oh...and strawberries and cream.....mmmmmmmm......

I like my cream unwhipped though. But whatever floats your soul.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 06:28 am
I decided not to participate in the Bellevue Birthday thing. It's right before my throat appointment tomorrow. Too anxious--not only about the appointment but about waiting another five hours.

BTW:
Proofreading job--done on schedule
Editing job 1--one day late
Editing job 2--don't ask.