Surgery--Again

Rockhead

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 06:41 pm
@Roberta,
it likes shade. I think it will grow indoors...

keep it wet. I have it next to one of the frog pools.

((B))
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 02:18 am
A bit of explaining--apartment-wise.

The landlord (a corporation, not a person) would love to get me out. The building manager has been very patient.

All long-time tenants, like me, are under rent stabilization laws. This means that they cannot charge what the market will bear. They have to follow guidelines that are voted on annually by the city council. This means that my rent is much lower than most other rents in my building. Probably most other rents in Manhattan. Still high by non-Noo Yawk standards.

When a tenant in a rent stabilized apartment leaves (in this building and I suspect in many others), the landlord renovates the apartment which makes it new and not under the rent stabilization laws. They can then charge what the market will bear. I am probably paying half of what other people in my apartment line are paying. I suspect that I'm probably paying what the people in studio apartments pay.

A long-time tenant down the hall died in his apartment. The police suspected foul play and put up those yellow tapes across the door. The tenant was found to have died of natural causes. The tape went down. The next day (not two days later) the renovation began.

The only thing better than rent stabilization is rent control. Although the laws have changed a bit, it's still the best thing going. The landlord can't raise your rent at all. Once you're in, you're in. My cousin Howie has a rent-controlled apartment in Greenwich Village. The landlord took him to court five times to try to get him out. The fifth time, the judge told the landlord to leave Howie alone or he'd end up with harassment charges against him.

I've received eviction notices in the past--once I started getting sick. I always had something or someone to fall back on. Those are gone. When I turn 65, I can get some kinda senior citizen thing that will prevent the landlord from raising my rent ever again! They want me out.

The possibility of my getting them to agree to partial payments is remote. But I'll ask. First I want to get caught up by at least another month.

You guys are da best.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 06:11 am
How is it possible for a person who is tired to the bone not to be able to fall asleep. Too wound up?
dlowan

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 06:52 am
@Roberta,

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 06:57 am
@dlowan,
Roberta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 08:43 am
@dlowan,
A choice of soothing music. You're too good to me. Gonna try to sleep again.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:06 pm
Still can't sleep. Got a call from Bellevue. I have a bladder infection, which I knew. I asked to be checked. Prescription on its way.

I also asked to be screened for diabetes. Dizziness. I'm borderline. Did my own diagnosis. Gotta say farewell to cookies and Pepsi. Phooey. I don't want anything else wrong with me! Enough already!
dlowan

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 04:33 pm
@Roberta,
Bladder infection. Eek.

WATER and lots of it!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 09:01 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
...It's a notice about apartment registration. (Insert the Hallelujah chorus.)...

What does this mean? What is "apartment registration"?
Roberta

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 12:42 am
@Eva,
Eva, It's from the NY State Department of Housing. It confirms the address, the tenant (moi), and the rent. There are also other areas that are questioned but they don't seem relevant.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 03:54 pm
Back from the NYU College of Dentistry--and reeling.

Got a full assessment. Every tooth in my mouth requires work. Total estimate for the work: Almost &14,000. Covered by Medicaid. $5,000.

I will discuss the situation with my social worker and the lawyer.

Angry. Distraught. And on the verge of giving up. I'm not the givey-uppy type. But . . .

If I had that kinda money, I'd pay the rent, which is my first and highest priority. Not worrying about becoming homeless can free up your mind.

I looked online for free dental care. Not much. I need to see what the social worker has to say.

I'm in the position now of thinking that I'll have done what's covered and let the rest of my teeth rot.

I postponed my appointment with the throat docs. It was supposed to be this Wednesday. I didn't think I could withstand the fear and stress.

I finished a 450 page editing job. In a hurry to submit the bill. Don't knock yourself out. The person who approves invoices is on vacation. Nobody around to approve the bill.

I have a proofreading job that arrived a week ago. I haven't taken it out of the envelope yet. Very uncharacteristic of me.

I'm spent.

Kvetching over. A collective sigh triggers hurricane force winds.

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 04:02 pm
@Roberta,
Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!

(Boida)
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 04:26 pm
@Roberta,
Ah crap. ((Roberta))
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 04:28 pm
Yikes!
I hope your social worker can find something for you!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 04:39 pm
@Roberta,
(((B)))

I wish I could send you the sounds of the wild songbirds outside of the cabin chirping and tweeting.

it is an amazingly soothing sound when everything else has gone wrong...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 05:03 pm
There is always another estimate - or a prioritized list...... (By the way, Roberta, I'm still waiting to hear back from the A2K help desk)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 05:14 pm
@Roberta,
Reeling and sighing. Well, thank goodness for medicaid anyway. Interested in what the social worker will say. I wish there was some funding you could somehow get ahold of.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 10:10 pm
@littlek,
I'm very discouraged. Weird, but I didn't feel this discouraged when I had one life threatening illness after another. I think it was because I felt that I was doing what I could do, but that nothing was under my control.

I think, somehow, that I shouldn't be in this situation. I don't know how I could have avoided it. But that's beside the point.

I've tried many places for funding. I make too much money to get help and not enough money to live on (anymore).

There were a few places that gave me some money when I was undergoing radiation and couldn't work at all. They provided me with funds with the understanding that they were one-shot deals. No more funds.

RH, Love dem boids. That would be nice. I'll open my window and listen very hard.

littlek, Another estimate from whom? I'm going to the place that Bellevue sent me to. I'll talk to the social worker and see what she says. A prioritized list? It's gotta be a list of stuff that Medicaid will pay for. Hope you hear from the desk soon.

osso, See above.

I opened the work envelope. It's gonna take some doing to catch up.

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 10:20 pm
@Roberta,
Well, I hope at least it's lucrative...the work envelope I mean.

I am not surprised you are feeling discouraged.

This one goddam thing after another would wear anybody down.
Roberta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 10:44 pm
@dlowan,
deb, Not even remotely lucrative. But it's money. When I'm done, I'll have more money than I had before.

Fact is, the kind of work I do these days has never been lucrative. But I used to be able to handle five projects at a time. Now I can manage one.

0 Replies