Mid-East Roadmap, Is it working?

au1929

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:56 am
Senior Hamas official killed in Gaza
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 9:48am EDT

Israel killed a senior Hamas political leader in a missile strike Thursday, retaliating for a suicide bombing of a bus in which 20 people died including six children. The Islamic militant group threatened revenge and formally abandoned a truce declared eight weeks ago. Also, Israeli troops raided the West Bank towns of Nablus, Jenin and Tulkarem in search of militants. Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas warned that the assassination of Hamas leader Ismail Abu Shanab would make it harder to crack down on militant groups. Under pressure from Washington and Israel, the Palestinian leadership had decided on a clampdown just hours before his death. Abu Shanab was riding with two bodyguards in his gold-colored station wagon Thursday in Gaza City when five missiles fired from an Israeli helicopter hit the vehicle. The car burst into flames and three bodies were pulled from the wreckage. Fifteen bystanders were hurt.

The roadmap although a good try was doomed from the start. Particularly because the militant organizations held all the power and the popular support of the Palestinian people. Mahmoud Abbas the PA figure head on the other hand is essentially powerless, and can only give lip service.
It is time for Israel to strike the real enemy the Palestinian people and to retaliate in kind. Bus for bus. If they want to be martyrs the Israeli's should ease their way.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:00 am
Exactly the reasons why the roadmap didn't have a chance from it's very beginning. c.i.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 02:48 pm
au1929 wrote:
It is time for Israel to strike the real enemy the Palestinian people and to retaliate in kind. Bus for bus. If they want to be martyrs the Israeli's should ease their way.

Shocked
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:14 pm
Pehaps he's related to Percy. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:18 pm
No. Au and percy have been seen at the same time.

And, there are a growing number of us jew-lovers, who are sick of them getting blown up. I don't want any innocent Palestinians blown up, though. If they could just round up both of them, the bombing can commence.

<kidding :wink: I'm sure there are at least five...>
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:21 pm
It becomes more apparrent each day that neither side really wishes for an end to hostilities. I don't find deaths on either side worthy of celebration.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:24 pm
Sofia wrote:
No. Au and percy have been seen at the same time.

there are a growing number of us jew-lovers, who are sick of them getting blown up.

Actually, the term, during late antiquity, was "God Fearers,"which I think says it nicely. Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:25 pm
When Arabs say these things you guys advocate their deaths. Some of those "involved in terror" that Isreal assasinates have only comments such as the above as proof of their guilt.

When Arabs say things like this it's 'proof' in biased minds that they only instigate and are not interested in peace.

I've long maintained that certain demographics in the Israeli camp are as extreme as that of the Palestinians.

hobit,

I strongly reccomend that you get over whatever fascination you have with perception. You claimed to have joined this forum to avoid the flaming of another forum and have thus far been one of the worst flamers we have had.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:36 pm
It is my Jew-loving, not God-fearing, that affects my feelings about the Pal/Israel situation.

I would be a Pal lover, too, if I didn't believe they want to exterminate Jews.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:36 pm
Turning the other cheek does not work. People who would deliberatly blow up a bus full of families with children deserve no mercy or consideration. I have a very difficult time classifying them human beings, they are certainly not civilized. And those who stand by and cheer are no better. If this is an example of that peaceful religion called Islam, the world would be better of without it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:41 pm
Sofia
I will bite who is percy?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:41 pm
The same rhetoric is used on the other side. The biased among the Palestinian camp claim peace with Isreal is not possible because Isreal wants their land, kills their children (Isreal has killed more Palestinian innocents than have Palestinian terrorists. I differentiate with the criteria of intent but the Palestinians would say that is being soft and "turning the other cheek").

Au, you can't stoop to their level and ride a high horse. You can't advocate killing Palestinians in busloads and still complain about Palestinian instigation. You can't brand them all as subhuman and still maintain that they do this to Isreal.

Keep the high ground bud, it's worth more than is apparent in a insipid conflict such as this.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:49 pm
au1929 wrote:
Turning the other cheek does not work. People who would deliberatly blow up a bus full of families with children deserve no mercy or consideration. I have a very difficult time classifying them human beings, they are certainly not civilized. And those who stand by and cheer are no better. If this is an example of that peaceful religion called Islam, the world would be better of without it.

Do you see the (perhaps unintended) contradiction in this statement?
If you look far enough into the conflict, you may find that Islam has less to do with the situation than does Arab and Palestinian nationalism. IT is easy, from the US, to lump anything that happens into the "Its becasue of Islam" folder. The use of Islamic justifcation for the bombings in the rhetoric of groups like Islamic Jihad is just that...rhetoric. There is little difference between if and the rhetoric of the Church in the Eleventh Century calling for crusade. Neither call to violence have much to do with religion.
Oops...sorry for the "flame" I just wrote. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:51 pm
Craven
After reading articles about the bombing in the Israeli press and the descriptions of the dead a dying children being a father and grandfather I have only room at the moment for hate in my heart for the Palestinians. These to me are people without an once of humanity.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:53 pm
Au--

percy=Perception, dear. He has been sort of naughty, enjoined hobitbob in a less than chivalrous exchange of high insults, and closed down a thread for a while-- I perceive hobitbob's comment about you and percy, perhaps being one in the same was not intended as a compliment. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:57 pm
hobitbob
Remember I know from whence you come. Could I expect anything else to be issued by you? Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:58 pm
au1929 wrote:
Craven
After reading articles about the bombing in the Israeli press and the descriptions of the dead a dying children being a father and grandfather I have only room at the moment for hate in my heart for the Palestinians. These to me are people without an once of humanity.

But the same victims are found on either side. One side uses a man-portable explosive device, the other uses tanks, arty shells, air-to-ground munitions, etc... Most of the "surgical strikes" take out everyone in the building the target is supposed to be in, whether the "target' is actually there or not. WHy should one side be forgiven for ramdomly killing uninvolved civilians?
You are responding in an understandably human way, revenge seems to be hard-wired into us as a species. But, like most of our evolutionary baggage, it can be overcome. As an Arab, I am outraged each time I hear of the Israelis destroying innocents in Palestinian settlments, but I am able to understand that escalation is not the way to go. The existance of Israel is a fact that will not go away,and the sooner the two groups learn to live with each othet, the better. It would be less troublesome if the leaders on either side showed any indication of actually wanting the conflict to end.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 04:00 pm
Sofia wrote:
Au--

percy=Perception, dear. He has been sort of naughty, enjoined hobitbob in a less than chivalrous exchange of high insults, and closed down a thread for a while-- I perceive hobitbob's comment about you and percy, perhaps being one in the same was not intended as a compliment. Crying or Very sad

Actually, it was a rather sarcastic comment.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 04:01 pm
au1929 wrote:
hobitbob
Remember I know from whence you come. Could I expect anything else to be issued by you? Evil or Very Mad

This is pretty much the dialogue that the Israelis and Palestinian's leaders engage in.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 04:11 pm
Hobit
When stupidity takes over so does sarcasim.

I should note unless you have a lack of understanding it's the target that makes all the difference. Being an Arab that probably makes little difference to you.
0 Replies