Can anyone answer the question I can't answer myself?

Eliane

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:05 pm
Hi again, thanks everyone for your comments Smile

Just an update, but I spoke to my fiance the other day about our situation and it ended up with him pinning me to a wall by the neck and me being 'too focused on having fun than our future'. This particular argument was about me telling him I wanted to get my hair cut, which he objected to.

I still feel like this is my fault, I know that what is happening is wrong and that I don't deserve it, but I can't seem to break away from it, maybe because this is the most serious relationship I've ever had. I don't know.

He also accused me of cheating on him.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:49 pm
It's normal to feel resistance to getting out of an abusive relationship once you have become embroiled in it.
It's normal too, to feel like it is your fault, even though it is NOT YOUR FAULT.
The feeling is normal though, and the questioning of yourself, because this is how abuse works.

However. That is all secondary right now.

What can you do to make a little step in a healthy direction?
Here's some ideas.

-calling someone you trust and talking to them about how you are feeling and what is going on
-making sure you have your own bank account with money it, your driver's license, and know your way around the city you are in
-calling a Help line or a Crisis line and asking for information
-going to the library or a resource center or looking on-line at information about abuse

Those feelings wont go away while you are still with this man. They will get worse, and it will feel harder and harder to get away.
There is also a real threat to your physical safety here!

Stick around. Let us know how you're doing. We're all pulling for you.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 02:06 pm
Eliane wrote:
Just an update, but I spoke to my fiance the other day about our situation and it ended up with him pinning me to a wall by the neck and me being 'too focused on having fun than our future'. This particular argument was about me telling him I wanted to get my hair cut, which he objected to.

Please Eliane, call your parents, they should get you out of
this place. You are in danger!! He is getting physically abusive already,
he will become more violent as time goes by. I urge you to seek help,
and please get away from this monster at once!!!

I can't stress it often enough: You are in danger!! Get out!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 02:27 pm
I feel really afraid for your safety. You can mail order electric chargeable "Cattle prods" from Jefferes Vet catalog. These deliver a sizable shock when you touch something like a 1200 lb cow. It can cause a nice shock in humans, next time he tries to put you up against a wall.

Sometimes girls with low self esteems are magnets for these kinda creeps. You need to focus on your safety for now and then work on that self esteem issue. They have wonderful courses out there to help. First , this guiy has gotta be far in your rear view mirror before you get hurt, badly, or worse.

Dont be hanging out asking us, youve got a unanimous vote that you get outta there, NOW.

Unless youre just dickin with us , then youre having a laugh at the adults who think theyve seen more than you of the evil side of life.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 02:30 pm
I'm not going to waste my breath giving advice because I have a feeling you won't listen to it; however, I will ask a question:

Why are you still with him? Do you prefer death & destruction?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 02:36 pm
Eliane wrote:
Hi again, thanks everyone for your comments Smile

I still feel like this is my fault, I know that what is happening is wrong and that I don't deserve it, but I can't seem to break away from it, maybe because this is the most serious relationship I've ever had. I don't know.

He also accused me of cheating on him.

So you acknowledged our comments and advice and didn't heed it at all?
Exactly why is it that? Do you think that we're being overly cautious because we don't really know him? Just about everyone here has met this type of man.

Do you not realize that your safety and your very life is at stake?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 04:38 pm
Quote:
Do you not realize that your safety and your very life is at stake?

As is your sanity.

Did you know there are shelters for abused women where you can go?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 07:04 pm
I can't believe that you are STILL calling him your fiance. What can be inside yiour head. This person is NOT looking out for your welfare. In fact, if you allow him anywhere near you again, neither are YOU (interested in your own welfare)!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 07:19 pm
If you actually marry him, we'll be reading about you and your tragic disappearance in the papers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 08:01 pm
I am for going to a shelter, not only to the parents. People at women's shelters can talk with you and really understand the situation. Not to avoid your parents, and I'm all for their support - though we don't know what got you to this low level of self esteem in the first place - but the counseling and tips from a shelter are important.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 09:12 pm
Geez, guys. You're being awfully hard on her! She's only 19, and she's in over her head. Of course she doesn't know how to handle this. I wouldn't have known at that age, either.

Eliane, I know it's tough to give up on a serious relationship...especially your first serious relationship...but there will be others down the road. This relationship has shown you that you are capable of deep involvement. That is good. Unfortunately, this guy isn't worthy of your continued affection. Better to end it now, before he becomes even more violent. (Abuse always escalates, you know.)

I can imagine you are anxious and fearful about what he might do if you try to end it. And well you should be! If he pins you to the wall by the neck over a simple hairstyle change, what might he do if you really make him angry!

It would be a VERY good idea for you to get some qualified advice about how to handle the breakup safely. There are hotlines in almost all cities. Please call one and talk to someone who has been through this before. You don't have to stay in this situation. They can help you get out of this.

Talk to your parents and friends, too. And talk to us. But mostly, talk to yourself. Figure out how you got into this so it won't happen again. (That's gonna take some time.)
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 03:32 am
It made me extremely sad to read your last post!

Please talk to someone face-to-face about this.
Friends, family, maybe even a doctor or priest.

Maybe they will be better at convincing you of the danger you are in!

You have your whole life in front of you!
Do you really want to spend it in misery and fear?

This is not going to get bette unless YOU act.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:33 am
Telephone books these days include Blue Pages--listing of community resources and government agencies that help people.

You can find the number for the Woman's Shelter there.

The accusation of "cheating" is very worrying. If you're being unfaithful to him (by not embracing his total and complete control, if nothing else) then you deserve the physical and mental punishment he is all-too-willing to hand out.

I assume the money for a haircut would have been your money? And the haircut was your hair? And your "fiance" had other plans for your money and your hair--and the workings of your brain inside your head?

Set some boundaries with this guy on the other side of the wall.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:30 am
Noddy24 wrote:
...The accusation of "cheating" is very worrying. If you're being unfaithful to him (by not embracing his total and complete control, if nothing else) then you deserve the physical and mental punishment he is all-too-willing to hand out....

Bingo! This is the best explanation of a controller/abuser's warped thinking I've ever read.
0 Replies

ThyPeace

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 07:56 pm
I'm brand new here, and it's a bit presumptuous to offer my own opinion at this point. Nonetheless, abuse is something I've seen a time or two before.

Eliane, you've got choices here, and all of them are tough. Everyone's telling you to run because that's what someone does when violence is on the street instead of in your home. Instead, I suggest that you take a few moments to get hold of your truest, most wonderful inner self.

It's that part of you that would protect a little child who's in danger, the part that loves sunsets, the part that remembers the joy of music, the part that knows how to laugh. That part is the key to getting you through this. In this situation, the key is safety for everyone involved -- and the strength is in the courage to protect a little child.

Eliane, I'm guessing you're worrying about what you did wrong. I'm guessing you're blaming yourself, wondering whether you're perfect or not, whether you're good enough, thinking maybe you don't deserve the love he's withholding. I'm also guessing that you've been in abusive relationships before, ones where you got hit, or yelled at, or sexually abused in some way. That's tough stuff to work through. And lordy, I'll bet your fiance can be the most loving and tender man on the planet -- when he's not furious with you.

Abuse is a devilish cycle. There's the "honeymoon" phase. You know that one well. And then there's the rest of the time when things are getting worse and you're walking on eggshells... until he explodes and does something awful and you're even more scared afterwards.

From his point of view, he's spending a lot of time in a state of horrific fear and humiliation. He is unable to control his violence and feels incredibly weak and powerless. He hopes that by controlling you, he will feel powerful, but it turns out that the control and abuse only feed how horrible he feels about himself. So then after an outburst, he's as loving as he knows how to be -- but he still isn't grounded in his own strength, which is all about protecting the people he loves, not hurting them. So he gets further and further off-balance, and eventually explodes again when the strain becomes too much. He blames you -- because he believes that he feels bad and it's your fault.

It's not. No one can make another person feel bad. He just doesn't know that, and you can't teach it to him. It's something he has to learn on his own. And you love this man. I'm not going to question that love right now. Love is a strange and completely irrational force a lot of the time.

But please understand that if you truly love this man, do not allow him to harm you. Doing so does him terrible, terrible damage. (And you.) It's eating his soul. You can't tell him that. You can't reason with him. You can't talk about it like rational people because right now neither of you are.

What you can do is protect yourself, and him. The best choice is to remove yourself from harm's way. Call a hotline, call a friend, call your mom or your grandma, whoever you trust more than anyone else in the world. And then understand that he's going to be absolutely panic-stricken when you leave. You'll have to take very strong measures because your thinking isn't completely clear right now either. Once he gets through the rage that your departure will cause, then he'll beg you to come back and promise that he'll change.

Change is really hard work and it'll take him a solid two or three years to grow into a non-abusive person. (www.compassionpower.com is a good resource for doing so.)

There's also the question of how you know he's changed. You do that by looking at the cycle. If his violence happens every four days or so, for example, then you can't believe that he's changed on day one or day two, or even on day five or six. Once it's been four times as long as it usually is, then you can start to count it as "real" change instead of just a particularly long cycle. Ten times as long is better. A hundred times as long is starting to be really good.

Here's a national hotline you can call, if you want help:

The National Domestic Violence Hotline
1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
http://www.ndvh.org/
0 Replies

bottledup

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 08:15 pm
Elaine,

You seem to have one of your foot out the door and you just want someone to close the door behind you.

9 out of 10 when a girl starts to think of leaving a relationship there is justifiable reason behind it...

Trust your instincts... specially you said there have been mild violent outburst... GO and Pack your bags...

but when you do make sure you have a better plan and NEVER LOOK BACK!!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 09:26 pm
ThyPeace wrote:
I'm brand new here, and it's a bit presumptuous to offer my own opinion at this point...

Presume away, TP! That was a terrific post. I hope Eliane will take it to heart.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:01 am
"But please understand that if you truly love this man, do not allow him to harm you. "

Never mind that if you truly love HIM - if you truly love yourSELF, don't allow him to harm you..or even TOUCH you in anger!
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 06:45 am
I have to keep checking this thread, and with every day Eliane does not post, I have the weirdest pictures in my mind...

Her, with broken bones at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
Her, in hospital, covered in bruises.
Her, found dead on a rubbish dump.
Her, with cut wrists in the tub.

Am I too sensitive or does anyone have similar problems?
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:33 am
Yes. I'd love to see a post from Elaine.

Cheering for her and wanting her to be okay.
0 Replies