Exotic foods, have you ever eaten any?

Foofie

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:55 am
I know different cultures eat different foods. In the U.S., amongst many main stream types, the cuisine reflects a limited fare that is a fairly standard menu (rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, meat from cattle or pigs, fish from a few cold water fish, corn, a few other vegetables, etc.).

But, watching a travel program I see the host/hostess wandering through some market somewhere and tasting things I wouldn't ever eat.

Are my feelings standard? Do people experiment with exotic foods? Only when travelling?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,520 • Replies: 88
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:57 am
I ate capybara once, it was quite tender.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 12:10 pm
I've eaten food from a lot of different cuisines myself. I'll draw the line at insects, raw sea urchin, and would only eat a raw quail egg if I was starving. Otherwise, much I consider within my range of ordinary food may be exotic to you, and I know it would be to some in the US.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 12:14 pm
I make an effort to eat out at ethnic restaurants so I can sample exotic cooking.

I loathe paying for an "American" meal that I could have cooked better myself.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 12:26 pm
Hey, Foofie. I have eaten escargot and it is delicious. chocolate coated truffles are delicious.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 12:39 pm
Ever eat ham that's turned? It doesn't get any more exotic than that.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 12:47 pm
I've eaten sheeps brains in Iran many years ago.

I wouldn't now.

x
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 01:02 pm
Right now I'm eating Paneer Tikka Masala for lunch. It's one of those packaged items from Gits. It has onion, cottage cheese, tomato, water, capsicum, red chili, yogurt, sunflower oil, garlic, coriander seed, green chili, fenugreek, cinnamon, black pepper, star anise, bay leaf, black cardomon, nutmeg, black salt, clove, dry mango, mint, papaya, pomegranite, caraway, and asafoetida in it. Not many of those are all so exotic, but the mix of them may be different to some.

I've eaten brains before, Smorgs. Can't remember where - maybe a french restaurant.

I'm like Noddy, I've enjoyed exploring different restaurants - and Los Angeles, my home town, is one of the world's cities with the most ethnic groups in the metropolitan area.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 01:04 pm
I love 'Gits', especially the name. It's a slang term for bastard in Liverpool (my home town)

Cue song: Randy Scouse Git - The Monkees.

x
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 01:56 pm
When I was in Norway, I ate reindeer steak. Not great.

I'm game and will try almost anything. I say almost because I won't try everything.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 08:34 pm
Wait, what? "Gits" are a food? I'm very very confused right now.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:36 pm
I tried alligator once (those darn Louisianians)
also rattle snake in a western town in Arizona.

Wild boar, venison, deer is not really exotic to us, but I love to eat it!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:48 pm
I'm with cyphercat on this one. What the hell's a git?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:00 pm
Here ya go - http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A13580011%2Cp_4%3AGits&page=1

in Albuquerque, I have to cross town to get to the international food market. Slog, slog, though it takes me hours to get out of that place (Talin).
In Humboldt County, forget it, unless some new place has popped up since I left. There's always online...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:08 am
I would be a bit suspicious of "street" food in Third World Countries. My stomach flora and fauna are neither robust nor sophisticated.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:27 am
Some great stuff in the New Yorker's food issue this week, Anthony Lane's initiation into the French eating habits, and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's early taste of Nigerian food.

Since you can get all and everything even in the supermarkets now, I really wouldn't know what to call "exotic food" nowadays.

But I do remember that groceries sold "exotic fruits": bananas, oranges, pinapples ... :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 09:05 am
In some households, eating canned spaghetti counted as an Italian Meal.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 09:09 am
I guess I'd be the only person at a cafe somewhere in another time-zone asking, for a western omelot, with buttered toast and a Coke.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 09:11 am
Noddy24 wrote:
In some households, eating canned spaghetti counted as an Italian Meal.

Well, cooking spaghetti, from a box, for 11 minutes (to be al dente - a little chewy) with catsup is good. Store bought tomato sauce if I really feel adventurous.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 09:35 am
Ive eaten all the Nigerian foods tha Walter mentioned, including "bush meat stew" which is a "NEVER ASK IF YOU REALLY DONT WANNA KNOW" I was eating a bushmeat stew with the tomatillo like fruits and yams and enjoying the dough balls, just like the dough balls we used to get in Pa Dutch chicken-corn soup or pot pie. Cept these werent dough balls, they were grubs. Just keep eating , the garri wont puke you out but the bush meat may.

We were thrown a great banquet by our Chinese partners in a Ti find and the entire meal was courses of foods that were gelatinous, ranging from dried and reconstituted jellyfish, sea cucumber,
matured" chicken feet stew. shark fin soup, cuttlefish, and some others that were really astounding how good they were.

batter dipped and deep fr ied twinkies. Ive eaten my share and, besides the third degree burns on the tongue, they were pretty good.

Anybody ever eat just a boiled salted pumpkin and thats all? for supper? makes you appreciate varieties.

MOOOOSE jerky---thee best. Just the brown sugar and salt and pepper, noy quite a treyaki.
0 Replies