mcdonalds french salad menu looks rather appetizing and interesting -
even i might consider it .

pls see link :

MCDONALDS FRANCE
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 01:27 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I would be a bit suspicious of "street" food in Third World Countries. My stomach flora and fauna are neither robust nor sophisticated.

that would be my specialty. Morocco, Turkey, India, Cambodia... from samosas, noodles, harare soup, ginger tofu pudding... you name it. If locals can eat it, so can i.
I ate raw sea urchin (if you know what bile tastes like, you don't ever have to try a sea urchin), escargots (not my thing), horse, dog, (both only to find out later what they were. they were unfortunately good), pig brain, steak tartar, blood sausage... there are very few things i won't try at least once.
Two things I haven't tried and will not: fried tarantulas and 10 days old ducklings (still in eggs) - they sell those on the streets in Cambodia. no pressing desire to go that route.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 01:40 pm
The thought of eating spiders is repellent, tho I suppose they're not all that far away from crab and the like.

Sea urchin is repellent -- like cold snot. Worse, like somebody else's cold snot.

Not a lot of play on here for gators and crocs. Not at all exotic if you're in the southern US, but rarely seen elsewhere here. Damn tasty, if you ask me.

Went to a gator farm in Louisiana and I can tell you I don't have the least compunction about eating those critters.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 01:47 pm
I think some of it is personality. I am pretty middle of the road - a little scared of exotic cuisine. My husband on the other hand will eat whatever you put in front of him. Alligator, rattle snake, ox tail, crickets..you name it he will probably eat it. He makes me take bites of whatever he orders just to get me out of my "rut" but - I like what I like. Chicken may get old to some folks but not to me!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 01:51 pm
another interesting, though not repellent, street food item is the paan in india. It's essentially stuff wrapped in a betel leaf. Most commonly it involves betel nut (highly carcinogenic and addictive), tobacco, and some spices. Another kind is with betel nut, coconut, sugar, spices (cardamom, cloves...). Sweet paan comes without the betel nut - just coconut, preserves, spices...
I don't like them, since they're huge and to chew on them is hard work, plus something about the taste of the betel nut, it's an acquired taste. the tobacco one requires constant spitting and stains people's teeth brownish red. That used to be considered beautiful (brown teeth), but no longer so. they're trying to curb spitting in cities. hallelujah.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/wgimages/BN249_19.jpg
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 01:59 pm
I think it is amazing the difference from country to country. I guess most things are acquired tastes...

dagmaraka - I cannot imagine getting that off the street. It is very interesting but I cannot imagine being adventurous enough to eat it. I guess that is my gain in some cases..but certainly a loss in others.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 02:00 pm
yes squid in its own ink...imagine black

at night

on the far side of the moon

it was like a black hole in my dish.

(was delicious, but tongue and teeth black for several weeks...hours really)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 04:11 pm
Well Steve, aside from the ordinary fish and chips, is English cuisine quite exotic - you never know what you get! To be fair, one should exchange
exotic for unpalatable Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 05:05 pm
mismi wrote :

Quote:
...ox tail...

oxtail , slowly simmered is indeed wonderful !
also great for making soupstock , superb flavour !
the meat is just sooo tender - oxtails are certainly not exactly cheap around here .
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:08 pm
hamburger wrote:
are roasted pigtails part of exotic cuisine ?
i know of someone who seems to be particularly fond of those little appendages Shocked Laughing
hbg

roasting some up right now - the dogs are tap-dancing in anticipation of their share
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 07:00 pm
just had "dutch gouda with caraway" on a buttered slice of pumpkinseed bread - how much more exotic can it get ?
0 Replies

koreangel

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 02:43 pm
In Europe, I had: Escargot, Truffles, fondue, pate, WeiƟwurst, and yummy swiss chocolate Wink

In the states, I had: Pork hock, tripe, ox tail, cow intestines, pig's blood, chicken gizzard, chicken feet, venison, rabbit, quail, all types of seafood imaginable (i.e. sushi, mussels, oysters, sea urchin, eel, jellyfish, squid, octopus, sea cucumber, crawfish, shark fin, cuttlefish, sea snails, sea urchin, etc. ), natto (fermented soybeans--very slimy, sticky, and stinky), kimchi (mmm....yummie~), live abalone, live clam, chicken liver, coagulated ox blood, pork spine, and the list goes on...

In Asia, I had: Rare horse meat, fugu (poisonous blowfish), geoduck, fried silkworm larvae, this weird cold, slimy, flat, and clear dessert I had in Japan (it looks like noodle, but it's not), so far...
0 Replies

koreangel

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 02:44 pm
i forgot to add filipino food.. balut. will i ever eat it again? NO WAY!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 02:46 pm
That's a good list, koreangel. And welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 05:15 pm
does "herring salad" count as exotic food ?
i usually make it two or three times a year - definetely for christmas when ehbeth is coming .
hbg

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/rezept/0309.jpg
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 05:51 pm
Northern Europe definitely produces some of the most, um, exotic food around...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:33 pm
mmmhhh, I love herring salad - that's not exotic though.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:36 pm
No offense to your heritage and all, but it looks like it's already been eaten.

(dunno, something about cold whitefish...)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:37 pm
pd wrote :

Quote:
Northern Europe definitely produces some of the most, um, exotic food around...

of course , we north-germans think that herring salad , pickled and salted herring , smoked makerel , smoked and jellied eel , LABSKAUS(a mix of potatoes , corned beef , beets and salt herring with dill pickles and a fried egg on top) are completely NORMAL foods and that anyone would want to give their eyetooth to partake of such delicacies :wink:
hbg(salivating while visualizing LABSKAUS and a cool - but NOT (!) cold DUCKSTEINER - a beer with a slight reddish tinge)

LABSKAUS

http://www.gabis-bloghaeuschen.de/bilder/labskaus.jpg

DUCKSTEINER

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/PinkGlove67/458px-Duckstein_Bier.jpg
0 Replies