Democrat / Clinton fundraising scandals continue

okie

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 04:19 pm
Need any more be said? Just a preview of more of the same old corruption. Is this really the person the Democrats want in 08?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295031,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,839 • Replies: 272
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 05:51 am
Which charity exacty will be receiving this money?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 07:42 am
This doesn't seem like much of a corruption issue. I don't expect either party to do background checks on donors and I disagree with the apparent requirement that all political donors be morally above reproach. This is not just a republican or democratic thing either. Both sides have rejected donations after the donors have been accused of a misdeed.

In this case, the donor was accused of grand theft. Shouldn't the donation could be used to repay the victims (assuming a guilty verdict and money is not available elsewhere)? Why donate it to charity? For that matter, if any campaign decides that it is too good for my money, I expect it back. The misdeed here is using money that was donated for political action in a way that it was not intended.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 07:44 am
tempest in a teapot. note that the originator of te post and the first repsonder are virulent democrat and in particular Hillary haters. yawn.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 08:07 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
tempest in a teapot. note that the originator of te post and the first repsonder are virulent democrat and in particular Hillary haters. yawn.

So I take it we should all ignore posts that criticize if the poster who originates the thread is a partisan of the other side. That would be fine by me, but would make things very boring around here. :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 08:14 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

So I take it we should all ignore posts that criticize if the poster who originates the thread is a partisan of the other side. That would be fine by me, but would make things very boring around here. :wink:

just stating a fact clown.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 08:53 am
This is not some two-bit contributor that turned out to be a crook.

The real story may not be known yet, such as what did he get for his money? Keep a close eye on this one, folks. Follow the money.

And to report news from the Kerry campaign contributions corruption. This is all nothing new. It will continue because the press and the libs don't care, as the posts already indicate here. It is only Republican corruption that matters.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295102,00.html
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 09:01 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

What fact are you stating?

Tell me which "charity" is getting the money? Do you have that fact?

The "contributer" of this money is a known criminal (friend of Hill and Bill for YEARS!) and the campaign is SHOCKED?

The fact is Hill will do and say ANYTHING to get elected. What is sad is many people, like you will belive her.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 09:04 am
"But what was not widely known was that Mr. Hsu, who is in the apparel business in New York, has been considered a fugitive since he failed to show up in a San Mateo County courtroom about 15 years ago to be sentenced for his role in a scheme to defraud investors, according to the California attorney general's office.

Mr. Hsu had pleaded no contest to one count of grand theft and was facing up to three years in prison.

The travails of Mr. Hsu have proved an embarrassment for the Clinton campaign, which has strived to project an image of rectitude in its fund-raising and to dispel any lingering shadows of past episodes of tainted contributions.

Already, Mrs. Clinton's opponents were busy trying to rekindle remembrances of the 1996 Democratic fund-raising scandals, in which Asian moneymen were accused of funneling suspect donations into Democratic coffers as President Bill Clinton and Vice President Al Gore were running for re-election."

"Some donations connected to Mr. Hsu raise questions about his bundling activities, although there is no evidence he did anything improper. The Wall Street Journal reported that contributors he solicited included members of an extended family in Daly City, Calif., who had given $213,000 to candidates since 2004, even though some of them did not appear to have much money.

A lawyer for Mr. Hsu, E. Lawrence Barcella Jr., has said that Mr. Hsu was not the source of any of the money he raised from other people, which would be a violation of federal election laws.

On his own, Mr. Hsu wrote checks totaling $255,970 to a variety of Democratic candidates and committees since 2004. Even though he was a bundler for Mrs. Clinton, his largess was spread across the Democratic Party and included $5,000 to the political action committee of Senator Barack Obama, Democrat of Illinois."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/us/politics/30bundler.html?ex=1189051200&en=00ee337c9e083c5f&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS
"
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 09:23 am
An entertaining video:

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player06.html?083007/083007_cowan_dems&Americas_Newsroom&Funny%20Money%3F&acc&US&-1&News&120&&&new
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:33 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Yeah, but I's the most smartest clown in the whole country. I gradeeated from the Ozark Hillbilly Academy with a P.H.E. So thar.

Seriously though, much as I dislike Hillary, I don't think this is a big deal. I seem to recall something similar a while back with some republican candidate that the dems here were getting in a huff about. I said then and I will say it now. You cannot expect candidates to do background checks on those who donate. When something comes to light like this, all you can expect would be for them to do the right thing and return the money or give it to charity. Hillary claims she is doing that so it is fine by me. No story here at all as far as I am concerned.

Now Billybob is gonna go cooks me up a possum fer dinner. Y'all come by if you are in the area. Possums are real gud eatin.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:38 am
Maybe, but as pointed out, this guy is a major contributor, and why? What did he get in return or what will he get in return? Remember the links to Chinese arms dealers with her husband, Bill? We should not forget this story. It needs to be watched. These people are not trustworthy, we already know that.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:43 am
okie wrote:
Maybe, but as pointed out, this guy is a major contributor, and why? What did he get in return or what will he get in return? Remember the links to Chinese arms dealers with her husband, Bill? We should not forget this story. It needs to be watched. These people are not trustworthy, we already know that.

The difference is that the chinese thing was, if I remember correctly (and I may not), a matter of knowing ahead of time that the money was coming from a source that was not, shall we say, agreeable. In this case, there is no evidence that I know of that Clinton even knew about the specific donation, much less that she knew it was coming from someone who was a criminal. That is a big difference to me.

As far as her not being trustworthy, I agree wholeheartedly. But that is a different issue.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:01 am
Coastal Rat, remember Terry McAuliffe is involved I think again. Isn't he Hillary's campaign manager? Don't forget the Chinese connections, and these people are unscrupulous when it comes to money. McAuliffe is the same guy that was involved with Bill, and he is the same guy that made 18 million on a 100,000 investment with Global Crossing, but "did nothing wrong." Do not trust these people, and do not forget this story. This stuff will continue. It is the Clintons.

http://www.happinessonline.org/InfectiousGreed/p18.htm
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:15 am
okie wrote:
Coastal Rat, remember Terry McAuliffe is involved I think again. Isn't he Hillary's campaign manager? Don't forget the Chinese connections, and these people are unscrupulous when it comes to money. McAuliffe is the same guy that was involved with Bill, and he is the same guy that made 18 million on a 100,000 investment with Global Crossing, but "did nothing wrong." Do not trust these people, and do not forget this story. This stuff will continue. It is the Clintons.

http://www.happinessonline.org/InfectiousGreed/p18.htm

I don't trust Hillary one little bit. But neither am I going to condemn her for this unless it can be shown that she knew that the guy who gave her the money was a fugitive. Even if she met him (probably not) I'm sure he didn't introduce himself by admitting that he was a fugitive and he wanted to give her a donation for future considerations. So I can give her a pass on this one. Much as it grieves me to do so.

Of course, if you want to pass a law that requires all donors to go through a background check prior to the candidate cashing their check, then by all means push that. But until then, this kind of stuff will happen periodically. And it will happen to candidates in both parties. So why make a big deal about it as long as Clinton is doing the right thing by not using the money for her campaign.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:18 am
But then of course you have to play fair if you are fair...
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/indicted-donor-poses-quandary-for-goplawmakers-who-accepted-funds-2007-08-15.html
Quote:
Indicted donor poses quandary for GOP lawmakers who accepted funds
By Alexander Bolton
August 15, 2007
Seven vulnerable House Republicans face difficult decisions about whether to return contributions from a major Republican donor who was charged last week on 23 counts of bankruptcy fraud, mail fraud, money laundering, obstruction of justice and perjury.

The donor, Alan Fabian, is the CEO of the Centre for Management and Technology, a Baltimore-based company. Until last week, he was also a co-chairman of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney's national finance committee.

"We are returning the contribution Romney's national finance co-chair gave Rudy Giuliani," said spokeswoman Maria Comella on Tuesday.

And as for the continued complaints about Clinton Chinese money..
Why do you ignore the Republican Chinese money?
Quote:
Republican National Committee, in first confirmation that Republican Party accepted substantial illegal foreign donations, says that it is returning about $120,000 in donations from Hong Kong aviation-services and real estate company; donation came from Young Brothers Development Co, based in Coral Gables, Fla, which has no assets and whose parent company is based in Hong Kong; company also gave $2.2 million loan guarantee to research organization headed by former Republican National Committee chmn Haley Barbour; loan guarantee was critical to arranging financial aid for Republican Party during 1994 mid-term elections that resulted in Republican takeover of Congress; Young Brothers is headed by Ambrous Tung Young of Taiwan
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:29 am
Corruption is corruption wherever you find it. Political donors usually do not donate large sums of money unless they are looking for something in return, or at least looking for escaping closer scrutiny in regard to something they are doing. Nobody is saying Hillary knew this guy on a personal basis, but he was a very large donor. I will not be forgetting it, even though others might say, forget it. We will probably hear more about this guy.

And if the Clintons were truly interested in cleaning up their act, Terry McAuliffe would have been gone a long time ago. 18 mil on insider knowledge / trading is no small potatoes. Of course Hillary made her hundred grand favor on a cool grand, so this is all normal operating procedure for this crowd.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:43 am
woiyo wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

What fact are you stating?

Tell me which "charity" is getting the money? Do you have that fact?

The "contributer" of this money is a known criminal (friend of Hill and Bill for YEARS!) and the campaign is SHOCKED?

The fact is Hill will do and say ANYTHING to get elected. What is sad is many people, like you will belive her.

it is possible that Hillary will do anything to get elected. It is a fact that the current sitting president will and did. What's sad is that people like you only care if it's someone on the "other team", even if it's someone who hasn't yet done what you accuse them of being capable of.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:44 am
okie wrote:
Corruption is corruption wherever you find it. Political donors usually do not donate large sums of money unless they are looking for something in return, or at least looking for escaping closer scrutiny in regard to something they are doing. Nobody is saying Hillary knew this guy on a personal basis, but he was a very large donor. I will not be forgetting it, even though others might say, forget it. We will probably hear more about this guy.

And if the Clintons were truly interested in cleaning up their act, Terry McAuliffe would have been gone a long time ago. 18 mil on insider knowledge / trading is no small potatoes. Of course Hillary made her hundred grand favor on a cool grand, so this is all normal operating procedure for this crowd.

Geez. Okie. you could at least make your accusations credible.. 18 mil on insider trading? Do you have ANY evidence at all?

The clown is going to have to agree with the Bear if you keep this up.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:45 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Yeah, but I's the most smartest clown in the whole country. I gradeeated from the Ozark Hillbilly Academy with a P.H.E. So thar.

Seriously though, much as I dislike Hillary, I don't think this is a big deal. I seem to recall something similar a while back with some republican candidate that the dems here were getting in a huff about. I said then and I will say it now. You cannot expect candidates to do background checks on those who donate. When something comes to light like this, all you can expect would be for them to do the right thing and return the money or give it to charity. Hillary claims she is doing that so it is fine by me. No story here at all as far as I am concerned.

Now Billybob is gonna go cooks me up a possum fer dinner. Y'all come by if you are in the area. Possums are real gud eatin.

You're a bozo aren't you? My mother was a bozoette in high school.....in fact, I think most of us are bozos on this bus....
0 Replies