Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,055 • Replies: 66
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:58 am
singly, I think smoking is the worst.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:21 am
A lot of those have degrees of danger depending on amounts. I'll pick birth...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:29 am
I would think smoking. Birth could be except the case where the mother is a smoker then perhaps being born could be the healthies thing for you.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:33 am
I would say smoking recklessly when you're born, but there doesn't seem to be a box for that choice.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:02 am
I voted birth
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:27 pm
"None of the above".

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr55/nvsr55_19.pdf
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:33 pm

Stop messing up my thread with your so-called "facts."

"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!" -- Homer Simpson.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:42 pm
DrewDad wrote:

Stop messing up my thread with your so-called "facts."

"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!" -- Homer Simpson.

Sowry! Razz I can edit out my post and pretend it never happened if you'd like!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:01 pm
fishin wrote:
"None of the above".

1) Diseases of heart (heart disease)
2) Malignant neoplasms (cancer)
3) Cerebrovascular diseases (stroke)
4) Chronic lower respiratory diseases
5) Accidents (unintentional injuries)
6) Diabetes mellitus (diabetes)
7) Alzheimer's disease
8) Influenza and pneumonia,
9) Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis (kidney disease)
10) Septicemia
11) Intentional self-harm (suicide)
12) Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis
13) Essential (primary) hypertension and hypertensive renal disease (hypertension)
14) Parkinson's disease
15) Assault (homicide)"

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr55/nvsr55_19.pdf

Fishin' the items I highlighted in red are a either a direct or indirect cause of smoking much of the time.

Please I'm sure it does not help some of the others.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:30 pm
Chai wrote:
Fishin' the items I highlighted in red are a either a direct or indirect cause of smoking much of the time.

Really? I've never heard anyone say that heart disease casued them to smoke. Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:32 pm
fishin wrote:
Chai wrote:

Really? I've never heard anyone say that heart disease casued them to smoke. Laughing

You know by this time I think all backwards. Cool
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:11 pm
One of the problems with those stats is that many people suffer from multiple ailments, and it is difficult to say what exactly caused death.

For instance, a person could go into a hospital for a bypass. While he is there he contracts MRSA, and dies of septicemia. Or he falls out of the bed, breaks a hip, lays in bed, and dies of a blood clot. Was it the blood clot or the septicemia the cause of the person's death, or would he have lived if he hadn't had the need for the bypass in the first place?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:34 pm
I vote for the former phoenix.

It seems there is much of the time an underlying cause that, although not the reason at the exact moment of death, is what started the ball rolling.

You have a heart attack, which throws off your chemical balance, causing depression, lowering your resistance, get pneumonia...

Previous to having the heart attack, the lifestyle you choose is much of the time the precursor for what will start that slide downhill.

Maybe it's better now, but not that long ago, when I heard that an elderly person break a hip, I heard a death knell.

for the diseases listed, smoking does not make you better able to resist them.

Go to the American Heart Association, American Lung Association, American Stroke Association websites. I don't think anyone would have to search very far to see the enormous risks of smoking.

I've heard...."We all have to die of something"....well, I'd prefer to reduce my risk of dying of something horribly painful and debilatating by not damaging my heart, lungs, circulatory system, among other things.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:38 pm
Chai wrote:

Please I'm sure it does not help some of the others.

What? It's like you have some sort of agenda towards the poor people who make cigarettes. What have they ever done to you or anyone you loved?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:38 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
it is difficult to say what exactly caused death.

Thus the inclusion of the "birth" option. 100% mortality rate.... :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 03:04 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
It's like you have some sort of agenda towards the poor people who make cigarettes. What have they ever done to you or anyone you loved?

Do you really want to know?

Smoking cigarettes gave my husband a massive heart attack and ventricular arythmia. If I hadn't been there when he passed out from a episode of arythmia, he would have been dead today, as he would have died within a month or two.

As it stands, he has gone through years of painful surgery, depression, loss of muscle mass, loss of sex drive, which didn't help the depression, and over $200,000 worth of medical procedures, which, if I hadn't been insured, would have made us poor.
He is on more medications than I can remember, and spends about $4000 out of pocket each year, mostly for drugs.

He has a defibrillator implanted in his chest, which you can see and looks like a pack of cigarettes laying underneath his skin. I can't put my head there because it's a damn metal box and not too comfortable. The defibrillator at one point was pressing on a nerve, keeping him in pain 24 hours a day, 365 days a year....he got to go into surgery (yippee) to have it moved, cutting open his chest is a lot of fun...when they go in there, they figure they might as well see if the thing is working, so, they stop his heart a couple of times to make sure it goes off.

Another time, the defibrillator wire shorted out, and the the thing started going off on his own. Just in case you're curious, it feels like a mule kicking you in the chest. His was not at home at the time, and it went off I think 5 or 6 times in a row. The person he was with called 911, then me, and told me he thought he was dead. This person was a moron.
Before the doctors in ER discovered the problem, it had gone off a few more times, twice when I was sitting there, and they put a big magnet on his chest to disable it. Then, they got to cut him open, replace the unit, and stop his heart a couple more times. oh....prior to that they've had to stop his heart to ablate a section of his lower heart, and another time for I forget why right now.

My husband smoked camels since he was something like 13 years old. If he had not smoked, none of this would have happened. That is not an opinion, but a fact.

Oh...and so you don't think we got off easy....because of the stress I developed panic/anxiety syndrome and went through my own crisis, and therapy, and medication....his daughter didn't think her father would live to walk her down the aisle, or hold his first grandchild.

So....you know what coolwhip?...screw you and your "you have an agenda" And don't come back here and say "I was just joking"

Why don't you learn to keep your mouth shut until you know what you're talking about?

When I see a teenager smoking, I want to go up and smack them in the head.

When I see an adult smoking, I think they will probably die before their time, and bring early heartache to those they love.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 03:15 pm
Quote:
So....you know what coolwhip?...screw you and your "you have an agenda" And don't come back here and say "I was just joking"

Why don't you learn to keep your mouth shut until you know what you're talking about?

I'm sorry your family had to go through all of that. But you didn't seriously think I was attacking you? I mean, I don't think I know a single person who doesn't have any family members who suffered some sort of illness from smoking.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 03:26 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
Quote:

I'm sorry your family had to go through all of that. But you didn't seriously think I was attacking you? I mean, I don't think I know a single person who doesn't have any family members who suffered some sort of illness from smoking.

No, I don't think you were attacking me. You haven't got what it takes to make an attack on someone who's been through the battles I or others here have gone through. It'll be a cold day in hell before I feel attacked by a whipper snapper like you. I've run with the devil.

I think you were doing was saying stupid sh!t and then covering up with telling people you were joking, or asking dumbass questions like "do you seriously thing I was attacking you?"

If you don't know a single person who hasn't suffered in some way, how can you make assinine comments about having agendas? Because everyone has suffered, it's alright to disregard the message?

You have a lot of growing up to do if you think something as serious as this doesn't touch hot buttons. Everyone has a agenda, and nothing is wrong with that.

How does what others have gone through make it all right to question something that is a core issue to someone?

You just opened your big mouth, now you're crawfishing.

ps, you're not sorry for what my husband as been through, you don't know me well enough to be sorry. just more words to cover up your smart comments.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 06:06 pm
Chai you are a bitch.
0 Replies