MICHAEL VICK--HOW STUPID IS STUPID?

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 05:03 am
HE is acting honorably now, so we"ll see. He has that little prison thing, then probation.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:10 am
He committed acts of great sadism. Hanging dogs??? Drowning dogs? Killing them by repeatedly slamming them against the floor until they were dead? He's a monster.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:14 am
...and its been reported, repeated and expressed as repellant to all. My question is, after the legal system penalizes him and the NFL shuns him, what else do you want from him?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:52 am
snood wrote:
...and its been reported, repeated and expressed as repellant to all. My question is, after the legal system penalizes him and the NFL shuns him, what else do you want from him?

The same thing I want from any other criminal who may have served his time, but is fundamentally evil - to have nothing to do with him or anyone like him.

Do you believe that very evil people should prosper? Granted, they have the same right to prosper that I do, once they've atoned for their actual acts, but I don't like them and don't approve of them.

If he were truly repentant and reformed, that would be something else, but I doubt that's likely for someone who's just basically bad, such as a terrible sadist.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:08 am
The question I have is what drives something like dog fighting, and the only thing I can come up with is some sort of amplified peer pressure. If Vick were white and from some more normal background I'd assume he was a psychopath but psychopaths are basically disorganized and while an exceptional psycho like SlicKKK KkKlintler might have a career in politics if the people around him can keep the lid down on problems, it's terribly hard to picture a psycho doing what Vick has with an NFL career.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:20 am
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1937864/posts

Quote:

Inmate No. 846242
Nealz Nuze ^ | December 11, 2007 | Neal Boortz

Posted on 12/11/2007 7:20:11 AM PST by Turret Gunner A20

What an incredible scene. Michael Vick in prison black and white stripes being sentenced to 23 months in jail for his role in a dog fighting operation. Federal rules say that Vick will have to serve at least 85% of his sentence. That means that the earliest he can get out of jail will be June of 2009. This means that Vick will miss a minimum of two NFL seasons .. and that is assuming that he will ever be able to get an NFL gig again.

Remember ... there are still state charges to go. If the State of Virginia pursues charges against Vick it is quite likely he would have to transfer from federal prison to state prison in June of 2009, there to spend perhaps a few more years.

What an incredible episode of self-destruction. Hundreds of millions of dollars lost, and who knows how many years in jail.

A few questions come to mind. First, why didn't Vick just locate his dog fighting operation in Georgia? Well .. he would have had to face the federal charges, but insofar as the state is concerned, dog fighting in Georgia is punished with 20 minutes of picking up garbage at the roadside and washing the Sheriff's car. After that, you're free to go.

Second: How might things have been different if the Atlanta Falcons hadn't been so dedicated to protecting Vick from the consequences of his actions. Vick handlers were ready to go at a moment's notice to repair damage, fix things, smooth over hurt feelings and make things go away whenever Vick crossed the line into thuggish behavior. What if he had faced the music with the first incident. Might he be a different person today?

OK .. here are just a few of the comments posted on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution website:

* Let me get this straight. Danny Heatley caused the death of a human being and receives probation. Vick killed dogs and received 23 months in jail. And people think this is logical?

* This is so insane and stupid. People do this all day long and not going to stop. Black men are more likely to receive tougher sentencing than any race. One last point all those who are against dog fighting and Vick, I hope you don't eat meat if you do you are contradicting yourself. Haters!!!!!!!

* Well it just proves how messed up this country is when you can get more time and be crucified for killing a vicious dog, but if you are a wife beater, child molester, or murderer, you can get off.

* Both Vick brothers are examples of an incredible waste of talent. They were given more opportunity than they earned or deserved and only squandered it. They are far from being victims. What makes this story even more sensational is that they are actually being held accountable for their actions. No wonder people are having such a hard time digesting it - it rarely happens in any walk of life. Wouldn't it be nice to think accountability is a new trend. Don't hold your breath.

One other comment, same source...

Quote:

Well, look at the bright side. He will probably convert to islam in prison...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 02:27 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
The same thing I want from any other criminal who may have served his time, but is fundamentally evil - to have nothing to do with him or anyone like him.

Do you believe that very evil people should prosper? Granted, they have the same right to prosper that I do, once they've atoned for their actual acts, but I don't like them and don't approve of them.

If he were truly repentant and reformed, that would be something else, but I doubt that's likely for someone who's just basically bad, such as a terrible sadist.

Do you really believe that people are neatly divisible in two groups; the "evil" ones for whom (presumably) no punishment is sufficient, and the "good" ones?

That is certainly not my experience of life. Everyone has his/her story, and every life is punctuated with a few repellent elements. I haven't yet encountered anyone who was utterly without potentially redeeming merit. I believe it is also wise to withold final judgement of others -- one can never tell when he will need a break himself.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 02:45 pm
they're just hatin'. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 03:02 pm
snood wrote:

Nothing. He did his time.

As far as him getting too harsh a sentence because he's acting the right way or whatever, his sentence is harsh because he lied during the whole process. If he went to the state and admitted he was hands-on during the operation, he probably would have seen no, or little jail time. On top of it, he violated the court order getting caught smoking weed during house arrest.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 03:06 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Do you really believe that people are neatly divisible in two groups; the "evil" ones for whom (presumably) no punishment is sufficient, and the "good" ones?

No. When did I say that the division was neat? It's a spectrum, but when a person is far to one end of the spectrum, it's appropriate to refer to him as evil. You don't believe that killing underperforming dogs by hanging, drowning, and slamming them repeatedly against the ground merits the adjective evil?

georgeob1 wrote:
That is certainly not my experience of life. Everyone has his/her story, and every life is punctuated with a few repellent elements. I haven't yet encountered anyone who was utterly without potentially redeeming merit. I believe it is also wise to withold final judgement of others -- one can never tell when he will need a break himself.

When did I say that he was utterly without redeeming merit? It's easy to win an argument if you counter arguments the other party has never advanced. I said that he was predominantly or perhaps significantly evil, and, judging by his actions, he is. As for needing a break someday myself, if I ever exhibit the cruelty he has, no one ought to give me a break.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:07 pm
i actually feel bad for arthur blank, the owner of the falcons.

he lost his star quarterback and his head coach quit with 3 games left on the schedule...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 02:03 pm
Actually a good thing in my opinion.

Petrino was not getting it done, and there aew ewports that the team had lost respect for him orior to this....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 05:45 pm
but why the rush?

the team is 3-10 and going nowhere -- all the more reason to grind it out, play spoiler, and try to instill some pride in the players who were loyal to him all season...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 06:02 pm
They need to pick up the pieces. They gave up last week, and the player quotes are scary. Blank is smart, this is better for him in the long run.

I did not have them winning again this year, as it was.

Cowher?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 06:07 pm
cowher seems like a good fit.
plus he's rested and ready...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 06:11 pm
I think he's waiting for the Carolina job....

$$$ talks, and he's no Boomer Esiason...(tongue coming thru my cheek)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 12:31 pm
Mr. Vick is going to be staying in Kansas of all places...

Entering a drug program to cut his sentence in half.

Next he will find Jesus....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 01:58 pm
Rockhead--

Vick has a chance to change from being a public disgrace to a worthwhile person--perhaps even a charismatic role model.

If getting religion will help, I'm all for him getting religion.

"Moral Compass" is an old-fashioned concept--but most people need one to stay out of trouble.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 02:11 pm
Noddy, I am not rooting against him, I am just a cynic in the modern world of spin...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 02:33 pm
Rockhead--

You and I are buddies.

You and Jesus seem to have a long-time rivalry....
0 Replies