Oh, caftan, my caftan!

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 01:05 pm
A month or so before I moved in late 2005, I ordered a couple of caftans from the Smithsonian catalog. They're inexpensive, fairly often on sale, and can be quite striking looking in design. (Run large, if anyone looks them up and orders one - or the first one I ordered did)

I think I talked about them on some thread on a2k around that time. I never did get around to wearing them, as they got quickly packed and hidden in the murky den of the storage unit. Just recently I got the last of the boxes hauled over to my new abode, and found the caftans.

Well, where the hell would I wear a caftan anyway? I have spent most summers of my life in shorts and tee shirts, or, on fancy dress days, light weight longish skirts and lightweight blouses. But... the caftans look so pretty in the closet...

This morning I actually donned one to wear while drinking my coffee and checking into a2k. Well! What a surprise - it's amazingly comfortable in hot weather, very light and airy.

I may have to change my whole style and become caftan woman. (I'll figure out ways to avoid total modesty..)

The negative for those who tend to wear only natural materials (like me) is that a lot of the caftans in the catalog are made with synthetic material. Eh! Cotton and linen and silk maven that I am, I'll say that tightly woven cotton can be as sweat producing as other materials. I haven't looked at other websites for natural material caftans, but that's moving high on my to do list.

Anyone else like them?
Here's a link, for the curious
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,506 • Replies: 48
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 01:11 pm
Well. Sometimes those "oopsie" purchases work out well in the end.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 01:21 pm
Does this mean you're going to be needing one of those turbin things to go with them?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 01:28 pm
They look very nice, osso, but can be a bit too much in hot weather.
Usually I wear a skimpy nightgown around the house when it's too hot.
Nothing more comfortable than that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 01:38 pm
No turbans for me, but I was an early scarf lover... and hat lover, and beret lover. In concept, that is. In real life I like my hair to run free...

That's the thing, CJ, it surprises me how light it feels. It's also sort of slinky feeling, she says as she wafts down the hall.

I think this will require more golden bracelets...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 01:48 pm
....Here Caftan! comforter!
........Curvacious is your sleeve;
............It is some dream that on the back,
................You've got a wrapper stuck.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 01:57 pm
Laughing uproariously, she swishes the caftan under the swamp cooler air flow, and hums... to the tune of

oh, wait, is that Aida?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 03:12 pm
Osso--

You anticipated your new career as Lady of Leisure. Very clever of you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:45 pm
Bravo, Dasha!

My mother wore those for years, but we'd always cringe because she wore nothing beneath - they have big arm holes, they are little windows into what's inside the caftan. <brr>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 05:28 pm
Hmmm, that can be bad, or it can be good....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 07:42 pm
not if it's your mother, that can't ever be good!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 07:57 pm
Uh, you'd have to work hard to see into this thing. I'll admit it's a large and a medium would be better. Still, it's very cool looking, even with me in it. (I still have it on. Have hung a big painting, put together a cd player thingy, moved the bureau, watered the back yard...).

So a woman over 50 can't not wear a caftan/kimono/yukata/housedress/nightgown without underwear? over 60? over 70?

You must be filled with dread...

I don't cringe about my bod yet.

I live alone, but I'd sure be surprised to catch my niece cringing if she were here (she's pushing twenty). She might not want me to wear it to a party, and would probably be right. Then she could wear it... smallest size, of course.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:01 pm
It wouldn't matter who's body it's on, I wouldn't want gratuitous flashes from anyone. It's got nothing to do with age.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:12 pm
You are thinking of some other piece of clothing than my current caftan. You'd have to put your head up the sleeve to see my armpit.
In any case, it's my house, and I'm familiar with my armpit.

How do you feel about older women showing cleavage? any woman showing it? do you have an end date in mind? This caftan doesn't show cleavage, but the question came to mind, re discomfort.

Nipples showing through blouses/shirts? For a bunch of years I wore impermeable fortress bras to stop that possibility. I got over it. I suppose they gross people out on older women. At what exact age?

I'm older than your mothers, probably.

I guess I'm not freaked with your being uncomfortable with caftans on mothers, am exploring it.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:17 pm
littlek wrote:
Bravo, Dasha!

My mother wore those for years, but we'd always cringe because she wore nothing beneath - they have big arm holes, they are little windows into what's inside the caftan. <brr>

Sometimes I hang the laundry while wearing a caftan (if it's really hot outside). So far none of the neighbours have complained. Maybe they're just being polite.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:22 pm
I once nailed a slender loris while wearing a caftan and, while it makes no sense when you really think about it, the caftan, inexplicably, added excitement to the ordeal and the scream of the loris as I ejaculated shall be forever imprinted on my mind.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:23 pm
This all reminds me of a Frank Bruni review of a Boulud restaurant in New York City this last week. The photo (I noticed the photographer's name but forget it right now) shows a large sample of a young woman's breast in the foreground. Actually, it's a great photo. Made me blink. Not exactly at the breast, but that they nonchalantly printed that photo.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:25 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I once nailed a slender loris while wearing a caftan and, while it makes no sense when you really think about it, the caftan, inexplicably, added excitement to the ordeal and the scream of the loris as I ejaculated shall be forever imprinted on my mind.

a loris in a caftan? strange.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:26 pm
Well, the loris was slender, there you go...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:27 pm
http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/76/38/23113876.jpg

That is the EXACT outfit I was wearing as I nailed the slender loris and the fact that I actually found someone else who would wear the same outfit is a bit disconcerting.
0 Replies