STOATMOBILE WORLD TOUR! (all are welcome)

Stoat

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 01:04 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Oh to be able to swim like an otter or seal! (Lovely pictures, Stoat.)

Thank you for your kind words :-)

As a little aside, my dive instructor recounted an amusing experience of his, where he was spear-fishing off of a public beach in Edmonds, Washington (where there is an 'underwater park' made by and for divers, featuring old wrecks and interesting attractions) and to facilitate his fishing, he had a mesh bag clipped to his weight belt to keep his catch in. He was looking elsewhere when suddenly he felt a tugging at his belt, which turned out to be a young harbor seal tugging at the mesh bag from below, trying to get the fish :-)

The bigger California Sea Lions can be very impressive underwater, where despite their massive size and weight they rocket about effortlessly and the males can be very territorial, sometimes swimming fast and close to you and making a snapping motion with their jaws if you are regarded as encroaching upon their domain. I haven't heard of anyone actually being bitten by one underwater, but their size and speed demands respect.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 01:25 pm
The crabs have such crabby faces!

(memories of eating dungeness crabs in San Francisco with some a2kers...
Pdiddie and Mrs. Pdiddie were masters of refined technique, whereas my plate looked like all hell broke loose.)

Captain Stoat, the tour continues to be a delight..

what did the dive instructor do, re the catch and the harbor seal?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 02:10 pm
Is that THE Stoat and THE Aa? Make room for one more. I'm climbing onboard.
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 02:32 pm
Eva wrote:
What a lovely vehicle! I wonder if there are any extra seats?

Hello Eva :-) I'm delighted that you found us and that things are to your liking. There are always First Class window seats for nice folks; please make yourself at home

Eva wrote:
Excuse me, Cap'n Stoat. I don't believe we've met. My name is Eva. This looks like just my sort of place. I see you've even provided the champagne and chocolate. <discreetly tucking personal stash inside carry-on>

I'm delighted to meet you, Eva :-)

Eva wrote:
This is making me hungry. Any chance your chef could steam a few for our dinner tonight? A few fresh lemons and a little melted butter with garlic is all they need.

Our chefs will be happy to fix anything that you like. What you brought looks yummy!

Eva wrote:
Friday Harbor next? Oh good! There's a place there I'd like to show everyone if you don't mind an extra tour guide, Cap'n Stoat.
Actually, you've come along at a perfect time. We were going to pull in to Friday Harbor mainly so that some here who aren't feeling well could get out and get their feet onto dry land, which hopefully will help them to feel better. I had been planning on wrapping up this tour of the San Juan Islands soon and handing it over to another Guide, so if you would like to take over for Friday Harbor and Beyond you're entirely welcome to, or if you would like to just do Friday Harbor and then turn the Tour guide job over to another, that would be just fine also :-)

Eva wrote:
Ooh, your fur looks so smooth and silky. May I shake your paw?

((((((BLUSHING PROFUSELY)))))))) I'm quite honored to meet you Eva :-) <<<<< extending furry stoat paw for polite handshake
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 02:35 pm
ossobuco wrote:
The crabs have such crabby faces!

(memories of eating dungeness crabs in San Francisco with some a2kers...
Pdiddie and Mrs. Pdiddie were masters of refined technique, whereas my plate looked like all hell broke loose.)

Captain Stoat, the tour continues to be a delight..

what did the dive instructor do, re the catch and the harbor seal?

Hello ossobuco,

I'm very happy that you are enjoying yourself :-)

He said that he wrested control of his mesh bag, but gave the seal a small fish :-)
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 02:39 pm
Roberta wrote:
Is that THE Stoat and THE Aa? Make room for one more. I'm climbing onboard.

Hello Roberta, please make yourself at home :-)

(pouring Roberta a stylish glass of champagne)

Surely there are other stoats about, as we are common and in my case, scruffy creatures, but I am the only one I know of at A2K :-)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 02:52 pm
Only one Stoat. Thanks for the booze.
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 03:15 pm
Roberta wrote:
Only one Stoat.

We can all be thankful for that....if there were many more of me the police would be overwhelmed and would be unable to maintain order

((((furry wink)))))

Roberta wrote:
Thanks for the booze.

You're quite welcome...passenger comfort and safety are the top priorities around here. :-)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:07 pm
(((furry wink right back atcha)))

Liked the sea otters, the seals, and the orcas. Loved the scenery. So where are we headed next?
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 05:46 pm
Roberta wrote:
(((furry wink right back atcha)))

Liked the sea otters, the seals, and the orcas. Loved the scenery. So where are we headed next?

I'm glad that you liked them :-)

Eva had expressed an interest in beng tour guide for at least Friday Harbor, and so I am waiting for a post from her indicating what she would like to do.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 05:54 pm
Oh, I wouldn't dream of taking your job. You're giving us a marvelous tour! I just want to stop by one favorite spot of mine in Friday Harbor. I thought everyone might enjoy the Pelindaba Lavender store. It's an unusual place.
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:02 pm
Eva wrote:
Oh, I wouldn't dream of taking your job. You're giving us a marvelous tour! I just want to stop by one favorite spot of mine in Friday Harbor. I thought everyone might enjoy the Pelindaba Lavender store. It's an unusual place.

Oh, okay Eva, I apologize for my misunderstanding.

If you have photos or other information about this place, you're welcome to post it when we arrive, which should be in just a couple of minutes :-)

We're approaching Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, which is the largest town in San Juan County but is still a very small town by most standards.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Stoat_2006/FridayHarborvirtual.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Stoat_2006/FridayHarbor2.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Stoat_2006/FridayHarbormap.jpg

We'll pull up onto a beach just outside of town so that we will be close by. A whirring sound is heard, and a solid 'thunk' under our feet, which tells us that the roadwheels have been extended. Getting into the shallow water, the wheels take hold and bring us smoothly up onto the beach.

The main downtown area is well set-up for tourists, with many attractions right near the ferry dock. It's a very nice town to walk around in and explore all of the shops, restaurants and evening entertainment establishments.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Stoat_2006/FridayHarborFerryDock.jpg

One place that may be of interest to whale and sea life fanciers is the Whale Museum
where you can learn all about whales, seals, sea lions and the fish and other animals in Puget Sound. They have a variety of exhibits as well as a particularly enthusiastic staff and so if you're interested in Orcas or any other 'water-related' thing you can learn all about it here :-)

We'll relax here for a little while to allow people to get out and walk around, and to give Eva a chance to tell us about the shop that she likes so much :-)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 08:54 pm
We can walk there from the ferry landing. It's only a block away. While we walk, I'll tell you a little about it.

A man from South Africa bought 20 acres on San Juan Island in 1999 and started an organic lavender farm. He meant to sell the crop off-island, but his plans soon grew into an agritourism venture which has become a major destination on the island. "Pelindaba" is the Zulu word for "place of great gatherings." It refers not only to the gathering of the lavender crop, but also to the gatherings of residents and visitors who support the effort. They host a Lavender Harvest Festival every year during the third weekend in July.

Visitors can tour the farm or visit one of their stores. (They also have a small store in downtown Seattle, but this store is much better. You'll see why in just a minute.)

The store is right around this corner on First Street. You can already smell the lavender, can't you!

http://www.driedflowersrus.com/catalog/images/images_big/dried_lavender.jpg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:01 pm
Well - this is obviously a place I need to visit. This area reminds me of the Bay of Islands, on the North Island of New Zealand.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:22 pm
I tried to look up the school house, but there is a large amount of foofuraw about a schoolhouse online.

It might be months before I have an indepth talk with my cousins about where my aunt taught. In any case, imagine teaching in your late teens in a one room school house on these islands, pre 1920.

She died at almost 101 and had a lot of stories - I loved my aunt. She was aunt by marriage, more interesting that the rest of the bunch put together.
Her sister, for example...

oh, well, never mind.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:34 pm
Friday Harbor is the perfect day trip town. You can walk on the ferry from Anacortes, WA or Sidney, BC for a short 1 hr. ride. Everything in the town of Friday Harbor is within walking distance. Here's a map they put in all the racks for tourists. It'll give you a good idea of the size of the town.

http://photobooks.com/~j/postcard/friday_harbor/friday_harbor.jpg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 11:22 pm
Ah, here we are at the store! I just love this place.

In the front half of the store you can find dried and fresh lavender bouquets for sale, along with sachets, candles, eye masks covered in various shades of purple silk, lotions, bath salts and dozens of other products made from the lavender grown just a few miles away. Many are grouped in gift assortments and tied with royal purple gossamer ribbons. I always pick up a few to give as gifts, and as an extra bonus, my suitcases smell like lavender when I get home and open them!

This time, I think I'll pick up some of that massage oil that Hubby likes so much. And maybe a bundle of those hard-milled soap squares tied with ribbon.

As you wander through the store, don't miss the big glass jars on the counter near the register. They contain handmade lavender chocolate truffles. Some are dark chocolate with lavender, some are white chocolate with lemon zest and lavender. Both kinds are delicious. They'll give you a little round box and a ribbon, and you can put four of whatever flavor(s) you like in one to take home. (If it lasts long enough to make it home!)

Yes, you can eat lavender. Besides being wonderfully fragrant, it is a culinary herb. In fact, it's one of the main ingredients in the spice blend "Herbs de Provence." And this is where the shop gets interesting.........

The back half of the store is a cafe'. Everything served here contains lavender. Teas, coffees, even hot chocolate are flavored with lavender. It's warm today. I think I'll have the lavender lemonade, thank you. (Be careful, it's habit forming.)

Cakes, tarts, brownies...more than a dozen kinds of cookies. (My favorites are the lavender shortbread and lavender chocolate chip cookies.) Salads, even. Sandwiches made with breads containing lavender. The offerings are suitably creative. After you've eaten your fill, take a look around at the shelves on the outside walls. You'll find lavender honeys, sugars, oils, vinegars, spice blends, etc. You can buy bulk lavender buds by the pound. You can even find handmade doggie biscuits flavored with lavender. I bought a few of them, too. Our dog loves them. I also picked up some loose tea and some lavender salt and pepper in very cool bottles for gifts.
http://www.belly-timber.com/photos/pelindaba_gifts.jpg

During the evenings, the Pelindaba Lavender store's cafe' hosts poetry readings, the occasional acoustic guitar performance, and other such gatherings. There is even a nice fireplace to take the chill off damp, foggy days or cool Pacific Northwest nights.

I could spend all day in this place.

Tomorrow, if you're interested, I'll take you out to their farm.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 11:25 pm
I'm interested in the store - still digesting it -
and tomorrow. Go, Eva...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 02:00 am
Tai Chi wrote:
Oh to be able to swim like an otter or seal! (Lovely pictures, Stoat.)
[/quote]

Oh I absolutely second that, with totally unrestrained, rappant enthusiasm! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Delightful, Stoat! Very Happy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:50 am
Eva wrote:
... you can eat lavender. Besides being wonderfully fragrant, it is a culinary herb. In fact, it's one of the main ingredients in the spice blend "Herbs de Provence." And this is where the shop gets interesting.........

The back half of the store is a cafe'. Everything served here contains lavender. Teas, coffees, even hot chocolate are flavored with lavender. It's warm today. I think I'll have the lavender lemonade, thank you. (Be careful, it's habit forming.)

Cakes, tarts, brownies...more than a dozen kinds of cookies. (My favorites are the lavender shortbread and lavender chocolate chip cookies.)

Yumm, I bought some cookies to share. Would anyone like one?

http://images.allrecipes.com/site/allrecipes/area/community/userphoto/small/37347.jpg

Here's the recipe, if you're interested.
Quote:
INGREDIENTS

* 5/8 cup butter
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon lavender flowers
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup colored sugar for decoration (optional)
* 1 tablespoon lavender flowers

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar. Beat the egg, and blend into the butter and sugar. Mix in the lavender flowers and the flour. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets.
3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden. Remove cookies to cooling racks, and sprinkle with decorative sugar and additional lavender flowers if desired.

Stoat, fabulous tour so far. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Eva, I'll be quiet now and eat my cookies while you continue with the tour.
0 Replies