STOATMOBILE WORLD TOUR! (all are welcome)

dadpad

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:28 am
Todays inflight movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOADNQqBIj0&mode=related&search=
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 12:54 pm
That's hilarious and perfect, dadpad...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:04 pm
and not only that - it's the complete - in a couple of minutes, Australian tour!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:14 pm
Original Australian song as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:16 pm
(he thinks he got away without giving a tour. But we can wait.)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:41 pm
Yep - I've done my bit - back in the Abuzz days!

And Olga took us around Melbourne....

But dadpad lives in the bush somewhere, so it is different....espedially when the bushfires come.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 04:54 am
We do things a bit slower up in the bush. I'll get round to it
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 05:04 pm
"Jacking up stoatmobile, rotating tires, changing oil"
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 02:41 am
I'd like to hear about Boston.

Do we know anyone willing to be a tour guide there!?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:17 am
I'd like a Boston tour too...

or....
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 02:28 pm
Gosh don't know how Merry Andrew and I missed the Stoatmobile tour.

Excellent.

Unfotunately, MA and I are not particularly camera literate. I'm barely past your basic brownie. However, there must be camera literate, computer literate folks in the Bean Town area that could do a Boston/Massachusetts tour.

We celebrated our wedding anniversary recently crawling over a replica of the Mayflower in Plymouth, MA before going on to a local clam bake type restaurant in Plymouth.

This weekend (long) we will be doing a leaf peeking expidition upcountry.
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 03:12 pm
Sglass,

Welcome aboard! :-)

What's most important is the Tour Guide's writing ability, not so much the photos (although they are always appreciated).

I didn't take any of the photos included in my portion of the Tour, I found them all on the internet when I searched for photos of the areas we were touring.

Quite often the imagery created in the mind's eye from a vivid, original and captivating description is the most appealing kind, anyway :-)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 03:24 pm
My word, Stoat. I thought that you had vanished again. Glad you are still here.

I can't do a long tour because of my dial up connection, but I can show you one place. This is the ancestral home of Thomas Fortune Ryan in Virginia. It is called Oak Ridge, but is now a place for people to have fancy parties and is open to the public.

http://www.savillehillfarm.com/images/The%20Flock.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 03:33 pm
This is the restored Oak Ridge estate.

http://www.blueridgeweddings.com/images/jon-emi_sbslac500.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 03:48 pm
A bust of Thomas Fortune Ryan done by Rodin.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/29811-large.jpg

Auguste Rodin, (1840-1917)
'Thomas Fortune Ryan' (1851-1928)
Bronze
Height 61 cm
Inscribed 'A. Rodin' on the front right and stamped 'Alexis Rudier Fondeur/Paris' on the back of the right shoulder
Museum no. A.48-1914
Given by the artist

Thomas Ryan was an American millionaire, introduced to Rodin by the Duchesse de Choiseul. He thought Rodin was a genius and played a major role in promoting his work in the USA. In 1910 he financed for the purchase of ten of Rodin's works for the Metropolitan Museum, New York.

Ryan sat for his portrait at the Hôtel Biron (now the Musée Rodin) in 1909, shortly after Rodin had rented studio space there. As neither spoke the other's language, the sittings were conducted in silence. Rodin's portrait captures the strength of Ryan's character as well as his physical power - he was broad-shouldered and over six feet tall. Versions in bronze, silver and marble were made for Ryan's own collection, all of them delivered by 1910.
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 03:48 pm
Hello Letty :-)

No, I'm still here, as evidenced by the 'occasional' hairball that may be found underfoot in the stoatmobile :-)

I'm very sorry to hear of your slow connection; that can be extremely frustrating. Some time ago, I felt the need, brought about by pecuniary concerns, to make a choice between having cable TV service at the stoat cave or of having a highspeed internet connection. Part of the reason why I chose the internet option is that here I can cause considerably more trouble in the community than via a passive reception appliance i.e. the TV., which only allows the oafish troubles and poor diction of others to be inflicted upon my person and not vice-versa ((((furry wink))))

Lovely photos, thank you for posting!

If you like, you're welcome to drive the stoatmobile there and give us a tour of that immediate area, with no obligations for anything more time consuming than what you might enjoy.

If that's not feasible, the photos on their own are lovely, thank you for posting :-)
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 04:41 pm
Sglass,

Just in case my previous post didn't come across properly, I'm hoping you understand that you're welcome to post photos if you like. If you're having any problems posting them you're welcome to ask me and I'm sure that many others will be happy to help, although in my case I'm still not "allowed" to use the PM functions here at A2K :-(

Letty,

thanks very much for your PM and I regret that I'm unable to respond privately as I STILL haven't met whatever the requirements are that allow users to use that particular function here at A2K. pfffft.

I hope that all goes well with the points that you mentioned.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 04:52 pm
I don't want to derail the tour, Stoat, but you and seaglass are welcome to visit the radio thread. I understand about the PM privileges, so I usually give a brief report about my son and his health.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 04:58 pm
Laughing I can't pm either Stoat, and I didn't do anything bad.

I keep trying to download an avator from the stock room and I can't get it to take.

How many posts before we can pm? I submitted a ticket and got the cyber space version of a form letter.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 05:15 pm
There has been trouble for people to post avatars for quite a while; if you submit a ticket on the help or contact us button, you will get a form saying they got your ticket (or something like that). When they have time, they'll help you.

On the pm business, that's explained in the help forum, but it works as an algorithm so that spammers can't just barrage the site in order to attain a certain number to then spam all of us by pm. Nuthin' to do with your lovely and gracious selves being somehow unworthy of trust.
0 Replies