Roman Catholic Bishop Wants Everyone to Call God 'Allah'

aperson

Sun 23 Sep, 2007 06:22 pm
Hankarin, I laughed at your post because I thought, is it not far easier to assume that NO God is real? Your comment stank of rationalization.
0 Replies

hankarin

Sun 23 Sep, 2007 06:32 pm
aperson wrote:
Hankarin, I laughed at your post because I thought, is it not far easier to assume that NO God is real? Your comment stank of rationalization.

Thank you. A good laugh is good for the soul. I hope you feel better.

If you want good rationalization talk to a politician or a clergyman. They are capable of any rationalization.
0 Replies

aperson

Sun 23 Sep, 2007 06:40 pm
I don't see why you have to complicate things. What kind of battle do you think could be happening "behind the scenes"?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Sun 23 Sep, 2007 07:48 pm
the one for our souls, of course.

by speaking arabic instead of english, we're playing right into satan's hands...
0 Replies

Foofie

Sun 23 Sep, 2007 09:10 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:

by speaking arabic instead of english, we're playing right into satan's hands...

Cocky poo! We have no souls. It's a made up concept, so religion can control us by making us think that if we follow a religion's commands, the "made up" soul will give us some form of after life. It's just cocky poo. Or maybe poo cocky? And there's no Satan. That's just part of the nice fairy tale of religion.
0 Replies

hankarin

Mon 24 Sep, 2007 03:50 pm
aperson wrote:
I don't see why you have to complicate things. What kind of battle do you think could be happening "behind the scenes"?

Not all folks are familiar with one of history's more important lessons:

Power behind the throne
0 Replies

hankarin

Mon 24 Sep, 2007 03:54 pm
Foofie wrote:
tinygiraffe wrote:

Cocky poo! We have no souls. It's a made up concept, so religion can control us by making us think that if we follow a religion's commands, the "made up" soul will give us some form of after life. It's just cocky poo. Or maybe poo cocky? And there's no Satan. That's just part of the nice fairy tale of religion.

Greek philosophers like Plato invented the "soul myth" not the Bible. The Bible simply speaks of humans as souls, not having souls. ("Old King Cole was a merry old soul and a merry old soul was he" and "you poor old soul" are expressions that relate to the Bible use of the term.)
0 Replies

hankarin

Mon 24 Sep, 2007 04:01 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:

Please clarify your second point. Arabic vs. English?
0 Replies

Wilso

Mon 24 Sep, 2007 04:10 pm
hankarin wrote:
Foofie wrote:
tinygiraffe wrote:

Greek philosophers like Plato invented the "soul myth" not the Bible. The Bible simply speaks of humans as souls, not having souls. ("Old King Cole was a merry old soul and a merry old soul was he" and "you poor old soul" are expressions that relate to the Bible use of the term.)

Doesn't change the fact that religion is nothing more than an instrument of control to keep the weak minded masses in check.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Mon 24 Sep, 2007 04:36 pm
I would not expect Christians and Muslims to get along more harmoniously because of the common usage: "Allah". Sunnis and Shites use the same vocabulary but, like Catholics and Protestants, they have a tremendous record of internicine murder.
0 Replies

hankarin

Mon 24 Sep, 2007 04:48 pm
Wilso wrote:
hankarin wrote:
Foofie wrote:
tinygiraffe wrote:

Doesn't change the fact that religion is nothing more than an instrument of control to keep the weak minded masses in check.

Their doin' a poor job of controlling anything today. Maybe the masses are no longer weak minded.
0 Replies

aperson

Mon 24 Sep, 2007 06:20 pm
The soul is a creation by the mind and religion to make us feel like we will never die. It is the longing for eternity.

Anyway, back onto the topic.
0 Replies

theMadJW

Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:36 pm
That makes as much sense as any Catholic Dogma (in general); namely NONE!
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Tue 25 Sep, 2007 02:51 am
that's not fair, catholic dogma is a lot less dogmatic than it used to be.

of course, if the vatican disbanded, i wouldn't care. it would be interesting to see what the world would be like without it.

and the history of the church is appalling just to begin with. but there's dogma, and then there's dogma.

catholic dogma is still anything the church says that god concurs with, but now we've been told by the former pope that it won't be only christians in heaven.

i'm willing to bet most forms of dogma are member-only-or-die. so i'll ask you mad, what forms of dogma do you consider "catholic dogma" to be inferior to? what kind of dogma is better in your opinion, why single out catholicism?
0 Replies

neologist

Tue 25 Sep, 2007 08:14 am
My karma just ran over your dogma.

Sorry.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Tue 25 Sep, 2007 08:20 am
THAT was refreshing. I'm so accustomed to having my karma run over by others' dogma.
0 Replies

neologist

Tue 25 Sep, 2007 08:25 am
Wait!

Now my neighbor's dogma is lifting his leg on . . .

Hey!

Shoo!

Beat it!
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:15 am
don't forget to have your dogma spayed and neutered...
0 Replies

hankarin

Tue 25 Sep, 2007 12:18 pm
If this be true, can a veterinarian fix dogma and a mechanic fix karma? Maybe we're asking the wrong people for spiritual help.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Tue 25 Sep, 2007 02:12 pm
No, you go to the spiritual mechanic for matters of reinCARnation.
0 Replies