11
   

Roman Catholic Bishop Wants Everyone to Call God 'Allah'

 
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:47 am
muslim1 wrote:
I agree that it is preferable to use the word "Allah" instead of God.

Why do Muslims use the word "Allah" instead of the word "God": http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2651856


Call it what you will...it's still primitive superstition.


Bobo...that's a fine name for a chimera.
0 Replies
 
Joe Nation
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 04:14 am
It would be better if there was one name for the imaginary being, (I vote for using Elaine, it has a certain lyric to it, doesn't it?) The problem is there is not just one imaginary being, Christians don't have one, they have three and can't decide on whether to call one of the them either the Holy Spirit or the Holy Ghost.

The real problem is the believers don't know how many imaginary beings there are. Could be one, could be ten thousand, nobody knows, everybody guesses, some people get killed for guessing wrong or doubting the guesser's guesses.

Here's an idea. Decide that there aren't any imaginary beings to be named and then start acting your life as if the imaginary beings have no power over you or your fellow human beings. Guess what? They don't because they only do if you permit them to do so.[/u] That's some group of all powerful beings, huh? They only have power over your life if you allow them to have the power.

Wow, try to create a superhero with that kind of power and you won't sell any comic books, but the churchs are doing fine peddling such stuff!

Joe(It takes about a week, but your head clears. Really something.)Nation
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 04:19 am
Muskens is a good man, but I think this idea of his was just silly.
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 06:05 am
Joe Nation wrote:
It would be better if there was one name for the imaginary being, (I vote for using Elaine, it has a certain lyric to it, doesn't it?) The problem is there is not just one imaginary being, Christians don't have one, they have three and can't decide on whether to call one of the them either the Holy Spirit or the Holy Ghost.

The real problem is the believers don't know how many imaginary beings there are. Could be one, could be ten thousand, nobody knows, everybody guesses, some people get killed for guessing wrong or doubting the guesser's guesses.

Here's an idea. Decide that there aren't any imaginary beings to be named and then start acting your life as if the imaginary beings have no power over you or your fellow human beings. Guess what? They don't because they only do if you permit them to do so.[/u] That's some group of all powerful beings, huh? They only have power over your life if you allow them to have the power.

Wow, try to create a superhero with that kind of power and you won't sell any comic books, but the churchs are doing fine peddling such stuff!

Joe(It takes about a week, but your head clears. Really something.)Nation


a. Careful...whether the one is three, or the three are one, used to get you killed by other christians.

b. Does this mean I have to surrender my hopes about that leprechaun......and the tooth fairy won't come any more?
0 Replies
 
Joe Nation
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 07:48 pm
D wrote:
Quote:
a. Careful...whether the one is three, or the three are one, used to get you killed by other christians.

b. Does this mean I have to surrender my hopes about that leprechaun......and the tooth fairy won't come any more?


a. I know. but I kind of like the way certain folks puff up as they try to explain the absurdity of the Triune God. I am also amused when followers of Christ profess shock at the excesses of today's various radical Islamic sects when for three hundred years they themselves (or their ancestors, I guess) rent Europe from stem to stern over such issues as whether or not grace existed in the soul or the heart, was Mary a virgin her whole life and how tall (or small) angels were.

b. Life could be a be duller, I agree. I no longer have a fear of dragons, all the angels on the head of my pin have flown and my unicorn has taken work at the local donut shop picking the hot ones out of the deepfry. As for you, look through your garden for leprechauns, but keep an eye out your window at midnight for signs of the be-an-si. (banshee).

Just to let you know, I think there are folds in the fabric of Nature that we do not fully comprehend, or it could be the nature of our brains to find voices in the murmurings of tree leaves.

Joe(shhhh, they say, sleep....dream...know.)Nation
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:06 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
D wrote:
Quote:
a. Careful...whether the one is three, or the three are one, used to get you killed by other christians.

b. Does this mean I have to surrender my hopes about that leprechaun......and the tooth fairy won't come any more?


a. I know. but I kind of like the way certain folks puff up as they try to explain the absurdity of the Triune God. I am also amused when followers of Christ profess shock at the excesses of today's various radical Islamic sects when for three hundred years they themselves (or their ancestors, I guess) rent Europe from stem to stern over such issues as whether or not grace existed in the soul or the heart, was Mary a virgin her whole life and how tall (or small) angels were.

b. Life could be a be duller, I agree. I no longer have a fear of dragons, all the angels on the head of my pin have flown and my unicorn has taken work at the local donut shop picking the hot ones out of the deepfry. As for you, look through your garden for leprechauns, but keep an eye out your window at midnight for signs of the be-an-si. (banshee).

Just to let you know, I think there are folds in the fabric of Nature that we do not fully comprehend, or it could be the nature of our brains to find voices in the murmurings of tree leaves.

Joe(shhhh, they say, sleep....dream...know.)Nation



Too true...also those early christians would have killed you depending upon whether you said "rent Europe from stem to stern" or "from stern to stem".



Who can forget the Big-Endian Heresy?


In the end, all these gods and allahs are but manifestations of oneself; and one's values, fears and phobias.
0 Replies
 
Joe Nation
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 02:47 am
I think I figured out why I want to use Elaine to name them all.

Think Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate in the church choir beating on the glass.

Joe(I'm being followed by gremlins)Nation
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 02:56 am
Joe Nation wrote:
I think I figured out why I want to use Elaine to name them all.

Think Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate in the church choir beating on the glass.

Joe(I'm being followed by gremlins)Nation



You know, I was kind of thinking of opening a thread on just that kind of associative stuff....but decided it was too hard.


Still, I love noting, or backtracking, those kinds of drifts and journeys of thought, don't you?






Lol! You might have ended up with Wilma by that process....
0 Replies
 
Joe Nation
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 03:01 am
Or Stella.

Joe(we are drifting back in time)Nation
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 03:12 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Or Stella.

Joe(we are drifting back in time)Nation



Stella's good.......
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:08 am
May the Force be with you.
0 Replies
 
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:14 am
This is the same idea as my "abolish Allah" thread, just in the opposite direction. (Me: Translate all Arabic uses of "Allah" as "God." This guy: Everyone use "Allah." Underlying message of both: It's the same god. Using a different name fosters a false sense of difference.)

Obviously the religions are different but many people seem not to realize the shared history and the many commonalities.

I don't think either proposal would actually work, but I share the guy's frustration and hope the discussion that results from his proposal is useful.
0 Replies
 
Walter Hinteler
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:18 am
What nimh wrote:
Muskens is a good man, but I think this idea of his was just silly.


:wink:
0 Replies
 
fresco
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 10:46 am
Quote:
Obviously the religions are different but many people seem not to realize the shared history and the many commonalities.


Interesting that the Sunnis and Shiites are blowing up each others children over their "shared history and commonality".
0 Replies
 
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 11:34 am
There was a lot of blowing up in Ireland too.

I'm not saying that recognizing that which is alike will in and of itself create peace and harmony. I'm not that naive. I'm just saying that a false dichotomy is set up by calling the Christian god "God" and the Muslim god "Allah." They're both the same god who spoke to Moses -- just that different religions think that the same god spoke to other people subsequently, too. (Jews don't think much of the idea that their God spoke to Jesus, but both religions call the god who spoke to Moses "God.")
0 Replies
 
fresco
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 12:27 pm
sozobe

Sorry, but I don't go for that "same God" concept. It's a an intellectual adjunct of that other elusive ideal "brotherly love". The name of the mythical supremo does matter to acolytes. Its part of the "word magic" involved in ritual incantation...particular versions of it are even proscribed or delimited (by Jews for example). The "imsh-allah psychology" permeates the social fabric of Arab society to the extent of reifying despotism and chauvinism.

Humans, like other primates are tribal, and their social cohesion is significantly mediated by idiolectical aspects of language use. The other primates seem to get by without language or such "gods" as that language might evoke,
0 Replies
 
hankarin
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 05:50 pm
get you killed by other christians.
I think the majority of folks who claim to be Christians have difficulty remembering that Jesus told Peter to put his sword away and he then promptly healed the servants ear. Christianity and nationalism (a tenet of Baal worship) don't mix.
0 Replies
 
hankarin
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 05:53 pm
Roman Catholic Bishop Wants Everyone to Call God 'Allah'
YHWH to LORD to Allah. What a record!
0 Replies
 
Joe Nation
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 07:44 pm
Re: get you killed by other christians.
hankarin wrote:
I think the majority of folks who claim to be Christians have difficulty remembering that Jesus told Peter to put his sword away and he then promptly healed the servants ear. Christianity and nationalism (a tenet of Baal worship) don't mix.


Whereas no one told Muslims to put their swords, bombs or aircraft full of innocents away. Muslims are allowed to kill anyone whom they believe has insulted either Allah or his Prophet with impunity.

Soldiers of Christ have on occasion been ashamed or been shamed by the Church, but there is no shame in committing any act, including murder, as long as the individual Muslim, with or without a fatwa, considers the act to be in defense of Islam.

Hence the silence as the killings goes on.

Joe(Hear those Islamic voices shouting "Shame, shame! Stop!"? No. I didn't think so.)Nation
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:58 am
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/26/2022 at 08:43:40