Breaking a vow

JPB

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:09 pm
baddog1, when people join an internet forum they bring with them their questions or concerns, their history, their individuality, and their personalities. There have been many times when I've put myself in the position of the other person when responding to posts, particularly on relationship questions. It's my nature and it is how I was raised. I still do so to an extent, but I've come to learn that the one here doing the telling is the one looking to share, question, search, ponder... whatever it was that motivated a particular post. Yes, there is more than one side to every story, but to speculate what someone who isn't here might have felt, or might have thought, or might have posted if they were here is an exercise in futility because the bottom line, baddog1, is that they aren't here and we don't and can't know what they would say. To grill (yes, your tone was abrasive and confrontational) a poster to give multiple 'other sides' is putting that poster in a position you wouldn't generally put your friends in. This is a community. We are friends -- sometimes very close friends. We share, we advise, we laugh, and sometimes we cry together.

You are entitled to post whatever you choose to post, so long as it remains within the TOS of the site. There's nothing wrong with advocating on behalf of those who aren't here but don't be surprised if the reaction to your vitriol is returned in kind.

ah -- and there is the Lady Diane. She can certainly speak for herself.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:53 pm
Diane, you are very gracious to have answered baddog's questions.
Kudos to you!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:05 pm
And so gracefully, as usual :-D
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:18 pm
Diane wrote:
Baddog wrote:

Quote:
The fact remains that this sweet little old lady did what she did. There ain't no amount of sugar or name-calling gonna change that!

Why thank you, baddog. You actually have a sense of humor.

As far as I'm concerned, you have every right to ask any questions you like. I have every right not to answer if I feel that an honest, detailed answer would delve too deeply into my very personal life. So I will answer some of your questions. If you then want more, I will take it under consideration. When this all happened, one poster for whom I have a liking and real respect said something to the effect that she didn't think she could ever trust someone who had gotten a divorce. I was shocked at that overreaching statement, but it made me realize that everyone has strong opinions that aren't aways logical or reasonable. So here goes:

Dys and I met at an a2k get together here in Albuquerque, so niether I nor my husband knew what was going to happen.

We fell in love in a very trusting, and gentle way. For me, there was no doubt, just worry about what it would do to my family if I divorced my then husband.

Dys was very concerned about my feelings of guilt (over the divorce, not the being so-called unfaithful). He stressed that I should consider it from every possible aspect when I got home so that, if I did decide to leave my husband, the decision wouldn't be so filled with guilt that it would put too great a strain on our relationship. He was so wise and so unselfish.

I spoke with many of my friends and the family that I have left. Quite a few of my friends said, "What took you so long?" The others were very supportive. Only one cousin, a fundamentalist Christian who has had an affair, was unsupportive.

When I spoke to my sons, they were also supportive. They were also very worried. It took a couple of years for them to realize that my decision was for the best. One of my sons wrote of a camping trip here, mentioning Dys as his stepfather. This is how they both feel. Their relationship with Dys is one of love and friendship. Now that they have both been here a couple of times, they are completely positive and encouraging of our relationship.

They have suffered--not realizing how permanent my not being there would feel. They have been lonely without me and they have also been worried about their father, as he has always had someone to take care of the 'details' whether it was me or his secretary.

My sons now save their money so they can come out to stay with us. They find our home to be a welcoming and relaxing place to be and the best possible way to take a break from their working lives.

During some of our talks, they and I have agreed that if I had been a stronger woman, I probably would not have married their father. This is an area in which I will not go into further detail. I'm sure you agree that we all have extremely painful events in our lives that we can only talk about with our most trusted friends.

At the time we married, I loved him. I also admit to the fact that he made me feel safe. He found that I was a loving, appropriate corporate executive's wife. I knew how to dress and how to entertain. Through the years, we both realized that that was about all we had in common.

I will always love my ex for being the father of our sons. They are the light of my life.

We, my sons and I, agree that their dad is probably better off without me. This didn't go one way, after all, it had to be me to make the break because of people's perception. Everything must always be proper, even when in truth, it is miserable.

My ex, now retired, was a wonderful executive. He was able to put together a great staff and he was always supportive, helping to promote anyone who had shown unusual skills, including promoting a couple of women to management positions when that was still fairly unusual. But--they were his family. Not us. He was always the boss at work. Real life at home isn't ever that predictable--it tends to gets in the way of someone who loves control and disciplined order.

The boys have told me he has a girlfriend now who makes him very happy. That makes me very happy (although I have to admit to a little illogical jealousy--maybe the women here will understand).

As you may have noticed, my relationship with my sons is very close. Their dad didn't have time to teach them about sex, how to drive, or how to maintain their priorities when there was enormous peer pressure.

I didn't always do a good job. I wish their father could have been more active and so do they.

Without going into detail, the thing which hurt me throughout our marriage, was my exe's condescending and patronizing treatment of me. That is where my lack of will comes in. If I had been able to tell him that I was worth far more than he was showing me, maybe he would have taken a closer look at our marriage. I sometimes think he wasn't even aware of how he treated me. I could see on some our friend's faces that they were very aware, but they, understandably, would never say anything although they would occasionally come to my defense.

Thirty four years of being treated like an employee was more demoralizing than you can imagine. You will probalby have an opinion about this as will a few others, but that is the way it was and I will not go into detail.

I do not feel the need to justify my actions or to apologize for the divorce. Both of us are better off now.

Neither Dys nor I (for personal reasons) could ever really trust another human being until we met. We had never known this kind of love, the kind that permeates each cell and every moment of our lives.

I feel that I have known and loved Dys from the beginning of time and I hope, if there is such a thing as karma, that we find each other in all of our lives to come.

What we have is rare and beautiful and something to be treasured with every fiber of our being. And we do, everyday.

Thank you for replying Diane. I am happy that you did. You have quite a following on here - many care deeply for you.

I will not go point by point with you as there is no helpful purpose. You have made your decision(s), believe in those decisions and those decisions have made you happy.

I know what it is like to live in a family where the father is from the old school and believes it is the duty of the man to "bring home the bacon" so to speak. My parents married with a total net worth of about $250 which was the amount of mechanic's tools Dad had accumulated. Most nights as a child, my sisters & I went to bed before Dad came home and was gone to work when we got up for school. He worked weekends as well which meant he was not at many ball games, girl scout functions, etc. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture. My Mom was always there for us - probably as you were for your sons. While it bothered us that Dad was always working - Mom somehow got us to our all of varied functions and explained that Dad had to work to support us all. Together - they made sure that we kids never went without. We always had clothes, food and transportation. We also always had a home to come to.

Like you elude in your marriage - Mom & Dad had their bumps over those years. Alcoholic family members, death, cancer, drug abuse, you name it & it happened in our family. But my parents always hung tough - together.

2 years ago; my parents celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary. My sisters & I happily threw a party for them to which more than 200 friends of theirs attended and celebrated. It was quite an event!

My Dad still owns the company he started 37 years ago and works about 30 hours a week. He & Mom now do some traveling, mostly with the grandkids to all parts of the U.S. His net worth is - well let's say it's more than $250 now - yet my Mom loves him the same as when he was worth much less and vice versa. There has never been another man or another woman in either of their lives. I would consider them to be each others soulmates. Not because they 'found' each other; but because their decision was to be committed to each other through thick & thin...until death do them part.

As mentioned - your happiness seems genuine. You make no mention of the pain (if any) that your ex went through upon discovery and it could also be argued that your son's hurt may be more more than you let on. [As loving as they sound - perhaps they did not want to harm you with disapproval.] Or perhaps they truly feel what you did is fine with them.

I asked the questions because I wished to understand. Some call my questions harsh - some say my questions were fine. No matter the case - adultery & divorce happened and I am fundamentally against both. I feel sure you understand.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:37 pm
Very gracious response, baddog.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:48 pm
Baddog, I am truly happy for you. There were some bad times in your family and you came through quite well. There were some bad times in mine and we did the best we could.

You can continue to doubt my answers--I answered truthfully, it is all I can do.

I wish you all the best.
0 Replies