Help! Rainsoft no longer working! :(

Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 06:55 am
New or old resin, neither has anything to do with salty water.

That is a problem with the control valve or... incomplete rinse or the programming or drain line installation being too long or the wrong ID tubing or a partial blockage of the drain line or injector, injector throat or injector screen or, the salt dose is set too high etc..
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 07:08 am
A number of things could be wrong ~ call the selling dealer now and have them fix the problem ASAP.
Don't drink it or water your plants with it.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 06:10 pm
harrorainsoft wrote:
Ok, EcoWater ERR 3502R30 system is up and running. Water is super soft. After using soap, it feels like the soap isn't washing off. Hair and skin feels silky smooth. Ahh, the benefits of soft water again.

Use much less soap, detergent, and shampoo.

harrorainsoft wrote:
Now, water is a bit salty. Going to give it a week or so because resin is new. Sales guy will be over again after 1 full week to check up on the system and how we like it. I hope the saltiness goes away. I believe the hardness level is set to 20.

My wife says NaCl softened water tastes "salty" to her and much prefers the taste of KCl softened water. When the ECO guy returns you might discuss that with him. It might be worth the extra cost of KCl is you find the water tastes better to you. We have 30g hard water and with two of us we use one bag of KCl a month. The extra cost over NaCl is a modest expense and the plants thrive.

harrorainsoft wrote:
Question, is it ok to water plants with this salty soft water? And I'm concerned that drinking too much of this salty water will lead to dehydration. Should I be worried or am I overreacting?

click here to "ask a scientist"

click here for info on "KCl softened water and plants"
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 01:45 pm
Here's some important info about swapping over to KCL (potassium chloride, salt substitute) from NaCL (sodium chloride, softener salt).

It's from North American Salt, North America's largest salt supplier was it?. Justalurker sent it to me in Aug 2005. I was able to recover it from a damaged MS Outlook archive today. I've been meaning to do that for over a year. I'm glad I was able to do it because I found all our email too. Very interesting reading!! I can now prove that my recollection that justalurker programmed his softener incorrectly, even after I corrected him! is correct.

CAUTION: Many people taking the advice that you can simply swap NaCL with KCL with no problems will cause their softener to have problems. And if they are not DIYers, they will have to call a local dealer and probably pay for an expensive service call to make it right.

http://qualitywaterassociates.com/images/KCl2.jpg
0 Replies