Is there such a thing as "emotional cheating"?

snood

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 07:21 am
Is there such a thing as cheating "emotionally"? I've heard different takes on it - from the Puritan view that to simply lust with the eyes is "committing adultery in the heart", to the view that anything goes as long as there's no touching.

I enjoy flirting sometimes, but I know I wouldn't appreciate it if I saw my wife do the exact same things as I do (trying to chat up cute female customers at work) with men.

Just thinking out loud here, sort of - curious about what y'all think...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,493 • Replies: 30
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 07:25 am
I think there can be. I don't know that I would put flirting in that category but people can certianly come to see someone other than than S/O as their primary emotional "lean on me" person.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 07:35 am
Sure there is such a thing. But I would consider what you described as "mental" cheating since it's something that you're completely aware of. But I wouldn't even term it "cheating" in a real sense. It is nothing emotional or physical.

"Emotional cheating" to me would be feeling so close to someone of the opposite sex - that's not your spouse - to the point that you are sharing your deepest feelings. It would be confiding in someone else of the opposite sex you are emotionally attached to as you should be to your spouse. I suppose I'm describing the first stages of an affair though, and I don't think that's quite what you meant.

I think what you're doing, and would be opposed to your wife doing, is simply flirting ....and enjoying it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 07:58 am
Quote:
"Emotional cheating" to me would be feeling so close to someone of the opposite sex - that's not your spouse - to the point that you are sharing your deepest feelings. It would be confiding in someone else of the opposite sex you are emotionally attached to as you should be to your spouse. I suppose I'm describing the first stages of an affair though, and I don't think that's quite what you meant.

happycat- I agree with the first part of you statement, and disagree with the last. I think that a person can emotionally "cheat" with another, without it ever becoming a full blown affair. I think that the problem is where is is a disconnect of communication between the spouses, so one of them develops a relationship with a person of the opposite sex to whom he/she tells things that cannot be discussed with the spouse.

In any event, whether the relationship evolves into an actual affair or not, is besides the point. Having to go outside the marriage for a great deal of emotional fulfillment, is, IMO, a sign that there are problems within the marriage.

Another thing. I used the word, "cheat" but I don't want to make a value judgement of that kind of behavior. Often the person doing this is doing it out of desperation, and these relationships can often afford the relief in a dysfunctional relationship that can ultimately "save" the marriage
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 08:03 am
Phoenix, I agree with you, and that's why I said "the first stages" of an affair. Many times that's how they start. Not always though.

I think flirting is just a way of boosting your own self-esteem in a fun way....or in snood's case, making a sale.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 08:14 am
Quote:

"Emotional cheating" to me would be feeling so close to someone of the opposite sex - that's not your spouse - to the point that you are sharing your deepest feelings.

The qualifying phrase "of the opposite sex" is interesting.

The implication here is that you can have a close friendship with one gender without cheating... but the same type of friendship with the other gender would be verboten.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 08:17 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Quote:

"Emotional cheating" to me would be feeling so close to someone of the opposite sex - that's not your spouse - to the point that you are sharing your deepest feelings.

The qualifying phrase "of the opposite sex" is interesting.

The implication here is that you can have a close friendship with one gender without cheating... but the same type of friendship with the other gender would be verboten.

I'm speaking from a heterosexual viewpoint.
Usually a spouse won't object to a close emotional friendship with a person of the same sex.

Of course, we could split hairs here, but I don't think that's what snood is looking for in this instance. I could be wrong though.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 08:17 am
Interesting that you saw the ebrown_p! I thought the same thing...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 08:24 am
Quote:
I think flirting is just a way of boosting your own self-esteem in a fun way....or in snood's case, making a sale.

happycat- There's flirting, and there's FLIRTING. The issue is the motivation. If the flirting is done just to have a good time, to make a sale, IMO there is no harm, and it can be lots of fun. If the flirting is a "fishing expedition", with the person flirting looking to begin a more serious relationship, that is another matter entirely.
0 Replies

luvmykidsandhubby

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:05 pm
It depends on te intent. This post relates to Objectification by TKO Diest. See my response in that. I have recently experienced something where i was emotionally dependent on one of my collegue, Male. Not because I wanted to cheat on my husband but because he as an oncologist could share and understand what my husband as a software programmer would not. I never intended to have an affair. My husband often warned me though that it could get complicated because men dont think the same way as women. He stayed very reserved, always had a listening ear but never took advantage of me. So I have felt emotionally dependent and closer to another person of the opposite Sex. Both of us are married with kids. He is attractive. It could have been the start of an affair, but I think we as human beings are capable of loving each other in ways taht may not be physical. It is very complex. I dont understand myself if I did anything wrong any thoughts.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 11:50 am
0 Replies

luvmykidsandhubby

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 01:54 pm
How come ?
thanks Baddog 1. This is such a good article. I agree with everything Dr.Atkins said. I am trying to understand peoples reasoning for letting " Flirting" (which is a conscious phenomenon and can hurt another person your spouse or the person you are flirting with) be a more acceptable thing when compared to Emotional cheating which in most cases as described by Dr.Atkins is circumstantial secondary to modern lifestyles. Which means in most cases it would be unintentional.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 02:22 pm
I could really go for an emotional bj right now.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 05:46 pm
nice
0 Replies

luvmykidsandhubby

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 05:48 pm
what is emotional BJ ?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 05:54 pm
luvmykidsandhubby wrote:
what is emotional BJ ?

Metaphorically speaking, it is when one party's "mouth," if you will, is placed around the other party's "male genitalia," as it were.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 05:59 pm
hmmm. This emotional bj intrigues me.

As for the original thing, my rule is generally I think what Da Man would do or say if he were there looking on.

I guess each couples works out the lines. Some stricter than others.

I think what you described, Snood, seems pretty innocent and not emotional cheating or cheating of any kind. But guess it would all depend on what your wife and you had figured out was ok or not.

Tricky business, really.
0 Replies

luvmykidsandhubby

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 06:06 pm
It would have been Ok if U would not have said. I would not want my wife to do it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 06:52 pm
Re: Is there such a thing as "emotional cheating"?
snood wrote:
Is there such a thing as cheating "emotionally"? I've heard different takes on it - from the Puritan view that to simply lust with the eyes is "committing adultery in the heart", to the view that anything goes as long as there's no touching.

I enjoy flirting sometimes, but I know I wouldn't appreciate it if I saw my wife do the exact same things as I do (trying to chat up cute female customers at work) with men.

Just thinking out loud here, sort of - curious about what y'all think...

I don't think what you're doing by flirting is emotionally cheating, snood. At least not the way you've described it. I also don't think there would be anything wrong with Mrs snood doing something similar. I'm reminded of more than a few waitresses I've seen in action while serving Mr B. He gets a special twinkle in his eyes when someone is going to bring him food. He hams it up a bit and, sure enough, gets preferential service. THEN, when it's time to order desert (something the waitress has direct control over) the twinkle turns into a gleam and, wouldn't you know it, he gets half a pie. She gets a great tip and everyone leaves happy.

Why do you suppose you'd be concerned about her being extra chatty when it's all innocent?
0 Replies

luvmykidsandhubby

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 09:43 pm
What is wrong with U guys? I think all of you saying it is OK are Males. Can U guarantee things will not get complicated. What if the Cute Females U are Chatting with starts to take it seriously and U start enjoying it more. Where would U draw the line between Innocent and Not so Innocent flirting.

Who replied to me in my post " We judge ourselves by our intentions, but we are judged by others by our actions" Was that U Snood. You seem to be such a nice guy. Don't go that route. IT CAN HURT YOU YOUR SPOUSE OR ANY ONE OF THOSE CUTE FEMALES. Flirting , Cheating , Emotional Cheating are all subjective terms different for diferent people.
0 Replies