Fluttery stomach and shaky/tingly hands and legs

Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 01:20 pm
Recently in the afternoon, I tend to have these symptoms. I feel a bit anxious and get fluttery in the stomach. Then I get a bit shaky and it is difficult for me to concentrate. I feel a little tired, uncomfortable and on edge.

In the morning I am fine. I am focused and driven - I get quite a bit of work done in small amounts of time, but in the afternoon I sort of lose it.

I have been under a lot of stress. It is a very busy time at work (and yes I still find time to visit here) and I have some personal stress right now as well. In the past, when I have been particularly stressed, I would get ice pick headaches - fortunately I haven't gotten any headaches - just this sort of uncomfortable anxious, I need to move sort of feeling. Does this sound like stress related type things?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,865 • Replies: 39
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 01:21 pm
Yes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 01:22 pm
It sounds like a sugar metabolism thing to me - but I'm no expert.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 01:24 pm
What are your caffiene habits?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 01:25 pm
martybarker wrote:
What are your caffiene habits?

No more than one coffee a day, if any. Usually in the morning and iced.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 01:26 pm
Is this always after lunch?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 01:30 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Is this always after lunch?

Always in the afternoon - after lunch, but not immediately after - like a couple or a few hours after.

Like right now - I feel like I am going to jump outta my skin.

I just bought some M&Ms - see if it is a sugar thing.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 02:07 pm
It could be stress..................and then again it could be something else. IMO, if a person has some unusual symptoms, the first thing to do is to get a physical examination with blood work, to rule out anything medical.

If that comes out ok, you need to start focusing on stress management. Stress can cause havoc in the body, and those symptoms are really an early warning system.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 02:11 pm
It goes away after a while - I am starting to calm a bit now.

If it is stress, my stress level should fall in a couple of weeks - it is only a temporary stress situation (at least at work).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 02:12 pm
Are the M&M's kicking in?

The stress could be making something physical that's low-level kick up a bit.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 02:20 pm
Either the M&Ms or the walk to the machine or just beginning to relax again. In any case the M&Ms were good!

Sometimes the uncomfortable feeling with flare up again if I start talking with some one else about all the work and other stuff. Right now for instance just writing about it, is starting to give me that feeling again.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 03:38 pm
Sounds, indeed, anxiety related...but also a bit "sugar dumpish" or sugar lowish.

Midafternoon is a time we can get low blood sugar levels, after lunch has been digested, and before our body kicks in our stored glycogen.

I used to get it if I had a carb laden lunch.....and I still do if I have an sweet thing unaccompanied with low GI carbs, or protien.

THAT, for me, causes my insulin to kick in to lower blood sugar, which then overshoots, and leaves me with low blood sugar for a while.

Protein at lunch works for me, with a bit of a protein snack later if I feel a bit trembly...but mainly the protein lunch has stopped the problem. An M&M snack would be the worst possible thing for me...it would surely fix the low blood sugar, but I'd have a sugar dump kick in later.

BUT you get the symptoms also if you have work thoughts triggered. THAT sounds like classic anxiety.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:31 pm
How's your water intake?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:53 pm
Re: Fluttery stomach and shaky/tingly hands and legs
Linkat wrote:
Recently in the afternoon, I tend to have these symptoms. I feel a bit anxious and get fluttery in the stomach. Then I get a bit shaky and it is difficult for me to concentrate. I feel a little tired, uncomfortable and on edge.

In the morning I am fine. I am focused and driven - I get quite a bit of work done in small amounts of time, but in the afternoon I sort of lose it.

I have been under a lot of stress. It is a very busy time at work (and yes I still find time to visit here) and I have some personal stress right now as well. In the past, when I have been particularly stressed, I would get ice pick headaches - fortunately I haven't gotten any headaches - just this sort of uncomfortable anxious, I need to move sort of feeling. Does this sound like stress related type things?

Metabolic syndrome or pre-diabetic?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 07:00 pm
I think you're in love....

Is that about the time the hunk dressed in brown delivers packages?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 09:46 am
dlowan wrote:
Sounds, indeed, anxiety related...but also a bit "sugar dumpish" or sugar lowish.

Midafternoon is a time we can get low blood sugar levels, after lunch has been digested, and before our body kicks in our stored glycogen.

I used to get it if I had a carb laden lunch.....and I still do if I have an sweet thing unaccompanied with low GI carbs, or protien.

THAT, for me, causes my insulin to kick in to lower blood sugar, which then overshoots, and leaves me with low blood sugar for a while.

Protein at lunch works for me, with a bit of a protein snack later if I feel a bit trembly...but mainly the protein lunch has stopped the problem. An M&M snack would be the worst possible thing for me...it would surely fix the low blood sugar, but I'd have a sugar dump kick in later.

BUT you get the symptoms also if you have work thoughts triggered. THAT sounds like classic anxiety.

Well it was peanut M&Ms so there was some protein! Maybe next time I will just get some peanuts.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 09:47 am
littlek wrote:
How's your water intake?

I usually have some ice water at my desk and drink it throughout the day.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 09:49 am
parados wrote:
I think you're in love....

Is that about the time the hunk dressed in brown delivers packages?

Ha Ha. After posting it - that was my thought - I sound more like a love sick puppy. Unfortunately there is no hunk going by. Maybe I am falling in love with my hubby all over again. Actually the one positive side effect of an issue with my parents is that my husband and I talk even more and it makes us even closer.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:06 am
My first thought was sugar.

Then, anxiety.

What is your heart rate when you feel this way?

How long does this feeling last?

What are you feeling emotionally at this time....what are you telling yourself at that moment?

Do you feel normal afterwards, or a litte "washed out"

Does it happen at other times of the day?

When people talk to you when you feel this way, do you have a hard time dealing with them? Can you really absorb what they are saying?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:12 am
Sounds like anxiety and/or sugar to me, too. Especially given the things that are going on in your life right now, I'm leaning towards anxiety. Possibly anxiety messing with your metabolism? Are you able to eat well with all the stress with your parents right now? Or does your lunch get picked over?
0 Replies