Fluttery stomach and shaky/tingly hands and legs

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:22 am
What is your heart rate when you feel this way?
Usually my heart feels like it is racing.

How long does this feeling last?
It can last an hour or so.

What are you feeling emotionally at this time....what are you telling yourself at that moment?
I honestly don't know how I am feeling. Although after a meeting, one time I was talking with a co-worker and we were both discussing how stressed we feel and how much work and then I started to get that feeling.

Do you feel normal afterwards, or a litte "washed out"
After I calm, I feel normal (or at least normal for me).

Does it happen at other times of the day?
Only in the afternoon that I noticed. But it can go away and then come back if I do start thinking about how can I get all this done or even about dealing with my family. However, it doesn't seem to affect me like this in the morning - maybe because I am so focused on work in the morning.

When people talk to you when you feel this way, do you have a hard time dealing with them? Can you really absorb what they are saying?
I haven't noticed having difficulty dealing with other people or what they are saying. But it could be that no one has interrupted me when I was feeling this way - other than when I was talking with a co-worker that one time. But I didn't have difficulty when dealing with her or absorbing anything.

I will probably see if it fades in the next week or so. About the end of next week the craziness at work will go away to a manageable level.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:33 am
Like everyone else says -- you need to get a medical opinion.

My first guess was that it was anxiety, but from what I gather and in my own experience, anxiety attacks occur randomly. The regularity suggests something metabolic, I would think.

BTW ~ M&M's would work in either a sugar case or an anxiety one. The sugar thing is obvious, but chocolate also contains the chemical dopamine to make you feel good. The best hit of this comes from bittersweet dark chocolate, if you want to experiment. It's my drug of choice. Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:57 am
Tico wrote:
Like everyone else says -- you need to get a medical opinion.

My first guess was that it was anxiety, but from what I gather and in my own experience, anxiety attacks occur randomly. The regularity suggests something metabolic, I would think.

BTW ~ M&M's would work in either a sugar case or an anxiety one. The sugar thing is obvious, but chocolate also contains the chemical dopamine to make you feel good. The best hit of this comes from bittersweet dark chocolate, if you want to experiment. It's my drug of choice. Very Happy

Mine too! I love dark chocolate!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:53 pm
Sounds like symptoms I've experienced when my potassium levels are low. Also sounds a lot like symptoms I used to have when my iron and B vitamins were low when I was bleeding heavily during peri-menopause.

If you don't already take a balanced high-potency vitamin and mineral supplement, give it a try for several days just to eliminate those factors. Those elements are also in the composition of most vitamin mixes marketed as high-stress vitamins.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 11:16 pm
I get those same symptoms when I have a lot of anxiety. Last few days I've been going through it.
I get it in spurts and always when my anxiety is high.

difference is my heart doesn't really race, but more like flutters every now and then.

I hate it when I feel like this!
0 Replies

athelete518

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 11:24 pm
This is sort of unrelated, but its been bothering me this summer...
Does anyone ever get like a really big sudden pump of blood in their body?
Cause, I don't really know how to explain, but like sometimes, especially in the legs, I'll feel this sequence of really huge pumps of blood in my legs, and if I can get my hand on the spot before it stops doing that, I can literally feel and see a little bump on my leg during a pulse
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:34 am
Re: Fluttery stomach and shaky/tingly hands and legs
Miller wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Recently in the afternoon, I tend to have these symptoms. I feel a bit anxious and get fluttery in the stomach. Then I get a bit shaky and it is difficult for me to concentrate. I feel a little tired, uncomfortable and on edge.

In the morning I am fine. I am focused and driven - I get quite a bit of work done in small amounts of time, but in the afternoon I sort of lose it.

I have been under a lot of stress. It is a very busy time at work (and yes I still find time to visit here) and I have some personal stress right now as well. In the past, when I have been particularly stressed, I would get ice pick headaches - fortunately I haven't gotten any headaches - just this sort of uncomfortable anxious, I need to move sort of feeling. Does this sound like stress related type things?

Metabolic syndrome or pre-diabetic?

Possible hypertension. Need to check you BP.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:43 am
Well, I think it is just plain old stress. With what's going on with your move and home and with a load of work on top of that, it would be surprising if you were totally OK.

When I had a stressfull period of time, I'd have exactly what you're describing. I'd wake up in the middle of the night, heart pounding. Then it became almost a permanent thing for a few days. If you could allow yourself to take a break from it all, you'd feel a lot better. Can you get away with your closest family at least for the weekend or something?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 07:28 am
Thanks all - I do think it is stress. This weekend when I was away from work and did not have contact with my parents, I do not once feel that way.

I plan on taking a couple of days off next week or the week after to do things with my hubby and kids. We probably won't go away - we really have no extra money right now - but some fun day trip type of things.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 06:54 pm
Linkat--

Enjoy. I'll cross my fingers that your mother doesn't decide that your Day Trips are another effort to deprive her of her grandchildren.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:27 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Linkat--

Enjoy. I'll cross my fingers that your mother doesn't decide that your Day Trips are another effort to deprive her of her grandchildren.

Thanks - actually yesterday I did not have a stressed feeling and it was Monday! Things are beginning to wind down a bit at work.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 01:17 pm
I think ossobucco's onto something there. I have the same thing and have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 01:21 pm
When this happens to me I know it's beginning when my hands get all shaky and I can't write legibly - and my handwriting is really really legible under normal conditions.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 04:16 pm
Too much nicotine can also give you the "shakes".
0 Replies

mark514

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:18 pm
@Linkat,
I have the exact same thing. It started 2 months ago. I am 43 year old male. I got extremely shaky hands-I mean trembling, which made me anxious. I ate something, which helped a bit , but I felt super shakey inside all night. Doctor tested everything-blood work okay. Told me to monito blood sugar when it happened again. It happened 4 times lately-blood sugar was 90-100. Perfectly normal. She sent me to a pshychiatrist who said I have an anxiety disorder. I am still unsure. I want to see an endocrinologist. It starts with a weird weak feeling in my upper legs. Then an uneasy feeling in the stomach. Then feelings of panic. The whole time it feels like I drank 2 pots of coffee, but I dont drink any! LEts keep in touch on this!
DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 08:08 am
@mark514,
How long does an episode last?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:50 am
You say this hits more in the afternoon - would eating a small high-carbohydrate snack around 3 hours after you finish lunch help? I know it helps keep my hypoglycemic episodes under control if they do occur, but usually prevents occurrences altogether, if I eat something small between breakfast (8:30 am) and lunch (1:00 pm). My doctor said that doing this about 3 hours after a meal should ward off most such episodes.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 01:17 pm
@mark514,
Sorry about that - mine could have been anxiety related. I had lots of stress then - I still do - but partly I have learned to let it go and partly some of the things I was stressed have gone away. I have different stress now or different things making my life stressful, but for some reason it isn't impacting me in the same way. Now I sort just say, well can't do nothing about it, beyond my control, I'm living day to day.
mark514

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:01 pm
@Linkat,
This is NOT anxiety. I have it to this day. Doctors are clueless about hypoglycemia-I wish one would comment on here. It is definitely blood sugar.
Anyone want to email me about it? [email protected]
I think it is prediabetes
Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 10:48 am
@mark514,
Well I don't have it any more - and I've had diabetes tests and not any indication of diabetes.

Although I did just find out I have a suspected heart murmur which I am going for test next week to see - doctor doesn't think it is anything though.
0 Replies