Is It Wise to TRUST Our Friends ?

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 03:51 pm
Of course it is understood differently. I just believe that if we establish definitions at the outset, or at least make sure we mean roughly the same thing when we use a certain term, it makes communication more effective.

because if it's just something like "why trust others" while david will understands trust as one thing, me as another, squinney as another, we're talking past each other, not to each other.

there were attempts at definition, yet we're still talking about different things. or perhaps about different aspects of one big complex thing.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 04:00 pm
trust is a choice...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 04:03 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
trust is a choice...

yep.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 04:23 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
squinney, do you have a good longterm girlfriend that you sometimes go for coffee with? whom you can tell anything and she tells you anything as well? who you would give your kids to look after if you had to run somewhere at the last moment? whom you would ask for a favor and know she'd do it for you if she can?

no Sad

your children,for that matter. do you not have an inherent trust in them?

Trust them to be where they say they are going? no. They usually are to my knowledge, but I do not trust that that will always be true. I mean, we've all been there, right?

Trust them to care for me in my old age? I wouldn't ask. It would be nice, it would be what I hope for in our relationship, but not expected.

Trust that they know I love them? Absolutely. Because their actions towards me indicate this to be true and because that relied on MY actions towards them to begin with, not the other way around.

i'm just asking because i'm wondering if we don't understand trust differently.

I was defining Trust as being able to rely on, count on, have confidence in, or in any way believe that someone else will be there for me, put my needs before their own or consider me a priority over themselves or their own needs and desires, or that they won't do me harm.

Some people have been there for me. It does happen. I do not Trust that will be so. When it does happen, I am grateful.

I only have control of my actions and my re-actions to the behavior of others. If I have no control over the behavior of others towards me, why would I have confidence that they will put my needs first? Or, second? Trust would require that I have that control, even if it just means that by Trusting them I control their behavior through guilt. I wouldn't want to do that to anyone.

0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 04:27 pm
Outside of the financial / legal definitions you posted for Trust, I was using what you posted several pages back as my definition.

(edit) And all of that brings us back to how it is possible to love without trust and why it is actually more loving to not have those expectations. We walk alone and we die alone. No matter how many people are with us, it is still the individual that experiences it each in their own way.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 04:58 pm
"Trust but verify" is a stupid phrase when you think about it, and not just because Ronald Reagan uttered it, but it's still probably the best summary of how I approach this. I place a great deal of trust in my husband. I fully expect that he will do the right thing and not betray that trust. However, there is an element that knows that something might happen, and that is careful to not turn a blind eye.

That is not how I always approached things -- in my first serious relationship, I thought there was no possible way that my boyfriend would ever do anything to hurt me, and that didn't pan out. The shock to my worldview was probably at least a quarter of the resulting hurt.

So I don't trust as implicitly as I did then -- but I wouldn't say I just don't trust, by a long shot.

In terms of the children example that squinney mentioned, though, I don't really agree with that. I think part of being trustworthy as a parent is to do what is developmentally appropriate. Teaching an older child to get his or her own drink is the trustworthy thing to do; continuously pandering to your child into adulthood, so the child never learns how to meet his or her own needs, is the untrustworthy/ irresponsible thing to do.

The ways in which one proves to be trustworthy change as the child grows, but the child still knows that the parent can be trusted to do what is best for him or her -- and I think that's important.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 05:20 pm
I never trusted Sozobe.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 05:37 pm
In business I rarely trust, but privately with family and friends, I trust them until they prove me wrong (most of them never have). I could not have
any relationship without trust.

As with my child, I trust her (age appropriately) and should she misuse
my trust, we deal with it. She will have privileges removed until she
regains my trust again. At first, she thought trust will be restored the
very next day, and in time she had to learn, that regaining someone's
trust takes far more work and reassuring than just not breaking it in the
first place.

Losing someone's trust is a painful experience, as well as regaining it -
one should not toy with it lightly.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:11 pm
I'm not talking about things like being there for your child after a car accident. I'm pretty sure we would all be bedside for however long was required. Those are actions / behaviors we control for ourselves. We would choose to be there.

Likewise, my mother would probably be at my side following a car accident. But, that would be her decision. It would not be fair to her for me to expect that.

Trust in someone else is placing a requirement on their behavior, which you do not control. By all means, teach your children to be trustworthy and do all you choose to do to show to whomever you choose that you can be trusted. Just don't expect the same from everyone else. To me it hinges on who's in charge of the trust.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 07:50 pm
All due respect; I think the question is absurd. There is no friendship without trust.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 07:54 pm
Friendship without trust is not a friendship. So says Intrepid.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 08:57 pm
vikorr wrote:
If logic can be both true and untrue at the same time...why are you bothing with logic...for the truth of what you are saying can never be determined (except perhaps, arguably, by yourself).

That 's what judges r for
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 09:08 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
trust is a choice...

Yes; a choice to just take your chances,
hoping for the best.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 09:22 pm
snood wrote:
All due respect; I think the question is absurd.

There is no friendship without trust.

BALONEY !

I was Marilyn 's friend
( tho I knew that she stole from me )
but I did not trust her.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:06 am
Maybe you were her friend, but if she stole from you - she was not yours.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:22 am
I don't enjoy debating the parsed thoughts of my comment. Basically, I feel I know who I can trust for any specific situation. "Situation" for the trust is another variable that comes into play. So, the same person, in different situations, I will trust or not trust, based on the respective situation.
There's also a theory that our brains really function on an unconscious level, and then our conscious mind gives us a verbal rationale for what we do (and was already decided upon by our unconscious). If that's true, then the veracity of this discussion may not apply to all people in actual practice, since our unconscious might drive our decisions, based on things we might not even be aware of.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:27 am
I figured out one word change that would make me agree with most of what squinney said and some of what David said -- changing "trust" to "dependence." (I think they're substantially different, though.)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:34 am
snood wrote:
Maybe you were her friend, but if she stole from you - she was not yours.

" A friend in need,
is a friend indeed. "

She admitted it, sheepishly.
That 's how I found out.

She knew that I did not care much.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:09 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
trust is a choice...

Yes; a choice to just take your chances,
hoping for the best.

That is what trust is.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:48 pm
sozobe wrote:
I figured out one word change that would make me agree with most of what squinney said and some of what David said -- changing "trust" to "dependence." (I think they're substantially different, though.)

that's precisely the impression i got, i think we were not talking about the same thing all along.

i've had a migraine for the last 3 days. i think it may have been caused by this thread, as that's when i started posting here. Smile never had one in my entire life. they're vicious. yuck.
0 Replies