1
   

Is It Wise to TRUST Our Friends ?

 
 
Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:30 pm
Is It Wise to TRUST Our Friends ?

Risky; like juggling chain saws
( depending on what u trust them with )

and when there 's a falling out... ??

Wud Martha Stewart have gone away
if her secretary and her friend had not given damaging testimony ?
I suspect that she TRUSTED them;
I doubt that she trusts them anymore.

There r innumerable other examples of friends who have better loyalty
to government than to their own friends.
Remember NY Supreme Court Justice Hortence Gable and her daughter Sucreet ?
Does that tell u anything about loyalty ?

" Wise is he who learns from his mistakes,
but WISER is he who learns from the mistakes of OTHERS. "



Q.E.D.:
Don 't trust anyone with more than u r willing to LOSE.


Whatayathink ?

David
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,257 • Replies: 186
No top replies

 
eoe
 
  1  
Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:38 pm
Depends on the friend. I have two friends that I trust implicitly.
0 Replies
 
flakker
 
  1  
Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:44 pm
you state the obvious

but its a good reminder.
0 Replies
 
TTH
 
  1  
Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:46 pm
I have gotten to the point where I hardly trust anyone anymore.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:48 pm
eoe wrote:
Depends on the friend. I have two friends that I trust implicitly.

I think it does.

Character and loyalty to a friend
( above loyalty to a government ) is determinative.
How do u KNOW, before its too late ?
Wud Martha have spoken so freely, if she knew her friends were going to spill the beans ?





Of course, if the friend did something heinous n egregious,
that 's another story.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:49 pm
flakker wrote:
you state the obvious

but its a good reminder.

I try to help.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:51 pm
TTH wrote:
I have gotten to the point where I hardly trust anyone anymore.

sounds like u r SAFER
0 Replies
 
TTH
 
  1  
Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 09:03 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
TTH wrote:
I have gotten to the point where I hardly trust anyone anymore.
sounds like u r SAFER
Quite the opposite. If there is no one left to trust that means there is no one to turn to if I need help.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 10:40 pm
TTH wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
TTH wrote:
I have gotten to the point where I hardly trust anyone anymore.
sounds like u r SAFER
Quite the opposite.
If there is no one left to trust that means there is no one to turn to if I need help.

No.
It does not mean that.

U r better off preparing your OWN defenses against foreseeable misadventures.

U can turn to people for help;
u 'd be well advised not to trust them.

Watch your back.
0 Replies
 
TTH
 
  1  
Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 11:20 pm
That makes no sense to me. If I don't trust someone, why would I go to them for help?
0 Replies
 
Amigo
 
  1  
Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 11:27 pm
I think that most opportunist cannot trust eachother.

The name of the game is Capital. To hell with the rest.
0 Replies
 
TTH
 
  1  
Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 11:40 pm
Want to explain that more in depth?
0 Replies
 
Amigo
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 12:03 am
It is not wise to trust your friends if they are not trustworthy. But why would you have friends that weren't trustworhty? And why don't they trust you.

It is materialism in decay, at the stage of disregard of right and wrong. It's a natural course. Look at the youth.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 05:58 am
Amigo wrote:
It is not wise to trust your friends if they are not trustworthy. But why would you have friends that weren't trustworhty? And why don't they trust you.

It is materialism in decay, at the stage of disregard of right and wrong. It's a natural course. Look at the youth.

U miss the point.

U find out that thay r not trustworthy AFTER thay have betrayed u.

Wud George Washington have given the plans to West Point
to Benedict Arnold if he considered him to be untrustworthy ?

Maybe I shud have named this thread:
" Shud everyone ASSUME that no one is trustworthy ? "
0 Replies
 
vikorr
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 06:09 am
I have a number of friends that I trust implicitly. The question of whether it is wise to do so or not has never needed to cross my mind. "IF" they were to betray that trust, the friendship would probably never be the same, but I would not regret that I had given them my trust.

Also...I find that we as humans give everyone we interact with a certain amount of trust, and they add to it or take away from that trust with each action they do.

It would be a very sad world if we could not trust anybody.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 06:34 am
vikorr wrote:


Quote:
I have a number of friends that I trust implicitly.
The question of whether it is wise to do so or not has never needed to cross my mind.
"IF" they were to betray that trust, the friendship would probably never be the same,
but I would not regret that I had given them my trust.

Do u think that Martha Stewart regrets being candid
with the friends who testified against her
before she was convicted of a federal crime ?

What r the chances that she was considering
the the wisdom of trusting them, during her vacation in federal prison ?




Quote:

It would be a very sad world if we could not trust anybody.

OK: the world can be happy:
admittedly,
u CAN trust people; the question is whether that is WISE ? ( like drunken driving ? )


I am not sad,
tho I make it a point not to trust anyone more than necessary.

David
0 Replies
 
boomerang
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 08:01 am
So is part of trust expecting your friends to perjure themselves in your behalf?
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 08:42 am
boomerang wrote:
So is part of trust
expecting your friends to perjure themselves in your behalf?

YES; that expectation IS part of trust and confidence,
however justified or UNjustified that trust may prove to be.
MOTHERS have even ratted out their own children;
( and probably vice-versa, e.g. Judge Hortence Gable and daughter Sucreet ).


My vu of decency, regarding loyalty to your friends:

1) If your friend learns that u have committed some minor infraction ( from a moral perspective ), like bloodlessly
omitting expensive information on your tax forms, or acting on an illegal stock tip: yes,
a decent friend shud keep his mouth shut, or try not to hurt his friend.

2 ) If your friend discovers that u have committed something alarmingly foul
and shockingly egregious ( like what the Rosenbergs did ) then no,
but either way, if u don 't want the information to come out,
u better not assume that your friends will remain loyal to u;
i.e.: " ... TRUST NO ONE... "

David
0 Replies
 
Miller
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 08:45 am
Re: Is It Wise to TRUST Our Friends ?
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Is It Wise to TRUST Our Friends ?

Risky; like juggling chain saws
( depending on what u trust them with )

and when there 's a falling out... ??

Wud Martha Stewart have gone away
if her secretary and her friend had not given damaging testimony ?
I suspect that she TRUSTED them;
I doubt that she trusts them anymore.

There r innumerable other examples of friends who have better loyalty
to government than to their own friends.
Remember NY Supreme Court Justice Hortence Gable and her daughter Sucreet ?
Does that tell u anything about loyalty ?

" Wise is he who learns from his mistakes,
but WISER is he who learns from the mistakes of OTHERS. "



Q.E.D.:
Don 't trust anyone with more than u r willing to LOSE.


Whatayathink ?

David


Trust not a soul and you'll never be disappointed... Cool
0 Replies
 
dagmaraka
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:03 am
trust and cooperation are necessary to a vibrant civil society. without it, there is backstabbing, clientelism, stealing on a mass scale. there was a popular slogan known to every last soul during communis: if you don't steal from the state, you steal from your family.
mistrust and fear lead to a deconstruction of society.

is it wise to trust? to me, absolutely. i'd much rather get betrayed a few times than live with mistrust. what a miserable life that must be.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Is It Wise to TRUST Our Friends ?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 12/04/2021 at 05:32:34